Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea preview...we've definitely been rumbled

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
That piece reeks of assumed wisdom and has little insight. It simply trots out the stereotypical view of Hughton and applies stats that support the argument. Yes Hughton is cautious and defensive in this division, but this approach is one of pragmatism because of the squad available to him. Its an approach that has taken Burnley to heights that few pundits predicted this season. Dyche's squad is a couple of years ahead of Hughton's in terms of aquisitions and top level experience. He obviously didn't see the Liverpool game. Anyone watching that could see that the attacking play of Liverpool would have destroyed virtually any team in the league that day. They put four past Man City. Does that make the Champions elect not 'a proper Premier League Team'?

It is not the defensive duties that have prevented the wingers from providing. It is lack of possession and poor delivery when opportunity against better defenders arises. Hughton's Norwich side were relegated at the end of his second season in charge. The previous year they were a very respectable 11th. If he is to be criticised for his tactics in the Premier League, a more appropriate comment would be that Hughton's defensive sides do not have the bite of Dyche's. At no point this season, do we seem to have taken Aspinall's advice to get in the faces of the opposition. We let teams play in front of us, hoping to break quickly when the ball is given away. Players like Hazard will not give the ball away unless they are denied space and we gave him all the space he wanted. It was this reason, not Hughton's cautiousness, or our squad's lack of quality that proved this bloke's prediction to be right.

This.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I'm up for a disagreement:

That's not been proven at all, he's done ok with previous clubs at this level who have then gone on to do worse without him. It's also daft to suggest a manager can't improve over the years.

Inevitable? We're 13/8 to go down. Odds against. Swansea, Huddersfield and West Brom all more likely, according to the bookies. I'm not saying I'm that confident, it could go either way, but it's hardly inevitable.

What a load of crap. WTF is a proper Premier League team? Half the teams in the division are on the end of a pasting at one point or another. We move on from that defeat like any other club that's taken a beating.

No he didn't :rolleyes:

:facepalm:

Well a) he didn't get Norwich relegated, so I'm happy for him to do 'the same' and b) he probably won't get us relegated, because the bookies odds show that it's probable we'll stay up.

:yawn:

So we have been relegated then?

Apart from all that, yes there are some things to agree with.

I heartily agree with your disagreeing. There are some valid points, but it is also extremely arrogantly written.

I'm not banking on us staying up, but I certainly think we have got a good chance. And the longer we stay up..... if we are still here next season, we will immediately become a more attractive proposition to sign for.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
No Premier League team has played more football in its own final third, nor less in the opposition’s final third, than Brighton this season. Only three teams have taken fewer shots on goal and only one team has had fewer shots on target. Only two teams have attempted fewer dribbles, meaning Brighton’s only realistic route forward is long balls, making them very predictable and easy to dominate. Only Burnley have played more long passes this season and no team has been fouled less often, meaning they have very few chances to get defenders forward and mount assaults from set plays, an area of play in which they are actually rather effective.

I'm sorry, but no. We're effective at Gross putting in enough quality balls for Dunk and Duffy to miss their obligatory easy chance from a corner/free-kick every game, but when was the last time we actually scored from a set play? 2016?

There are other assumptions made in this opinion piece that could be ripped apart, but this part is just flat out wrong.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
That piece reeks of assumed wisdom and has little insight. It simply trots out the stereotypical view of Hughton and applies stats that support the argument. Yes Hughton is cautious and defensive in this division, but this approach is one of pragmatism because of the squad available to him. Its an approach that has taken Burnley to heights that few pundits predicted this season. Dyche's squad is a couple of years ahead of Hughton's in terms of aquisitions and top level experience. He obviously didn't see the Liverpool game. Anyone watching that could see that the attacking play of Liverpool would have destroyed virtually any team in the league that day. They put four past Man City. Does that make the Champions elect not 'a proper Premier League Team'?

It is not the defensive duties that have prevented the wingers from providing. It is lack of possession and poor delivery when opportunity against better defenders arises. Hughton's Norwich side were relegated at the end of his second season in charge. The previous year they were a very respectable 11th. If he is to be criticised for his tactics in the Premier League, a more appropriate comment would be that Hughton's defensive sides do not have the bite of Dyche's. At no point this season, do we seem to have taken Aspinall's advice to get in the faces of the opposition. We let teams play in front of us, hoping to break quickly when the ball is given away. Players like Hazard will not give the ball away unless they are denied space and we gave him all the space he wanted. It was this reason, not Hughton's cautiousness, or our squad's lack of quality that proved this bloke's prediction to be right.

This is far more accurate than that preview. Hughton hasn't been relegated from the Premier League with any team. Semantics? Yes, but true.
It was also written before Locadia arrived, and we may just get another player in before 31st.
Is relegation inevitable? I don't think it is. There are 9 teams that could get relegated, so it is anyone's race at the moment.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Yes, it is well written, with some obvious facts thrown in. But, the biggest fact is that only 6 pts cover 10th to 20th. So change a few details and a negative piece could be written about any of those clubs.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's a brilliant piece but then I fancy equally gloomy pieces could be written about Swansea, West Brom, Newcastle too.

I'd like to think we'll bring another new attacking face in what remains of this transfer window but - right now - it looks like it's down to Locadia to get the goals.

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
More insight than most NSC contributors! However, slightly ironic that the apparently very predictable Hughton played 3 at the back for pretty much the first time ever as a BHA manager. And it could have worked. We’ve been hammered twice this season, and on both occasions the opposition had two or three world class players who simply blew us away....just like they would have blown away virtually every team in this league.

I don’t think we need to worry about Hughton being too conservative over the next month or so. To my mind the fact that he made so many changes (esp formation) after the West Brom game indicates he has ALREADY changed his approach. I’m hopeful that Pröpper, Gross and Locadia, supplemented by March/Izquierdo on the left and Schelletto on the right, is a potent force which will bring goals....

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That is a spot on. We need to go hell for leather now. Only one error, Chris Hughton did not take Norwich City down from the premiership

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Can't argue with that

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
"breakout star and analytics community hero Pascal Groß"

With football pre-1991/92 being wiped from history (interminable lists of PL-era this that or the other), made-up stats ('highest goalscorer this calendar year' being a beaut), seemingly dominating any PL coverage, this is a great line!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Blimey, are you sure you didn't write that? That really is Brighton moaners 101 right there

Interesting that you see a succinct summing up of our season to be a moan. Are you related to an ostrich?

There are errors in the post but most of it is a pretty good summing up of our season SO FAR.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I believe Norwich were in deep shit the season they finished 11th. I know a Norwich fan who was moaning in much the same vein as so many on here about the tactics but they won quite a few of the games in the run in which propelled them to 11th having looked like they were going down about 5 games before the season’s end. If I knew how to look it up I would, as I recall this conversation quite clearly as the same guy was making the same comments the season they were relegated. CH was sacked whilst Norwich were still safe with a tough run of games which they then lost and went down. Who knows what would have happened if they’d kept faith. I am quite underwhelmed by CH’s tactics quite a bit of the time but I wouldn’t sack him. He has not got the players to play expansively...unfortunately.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
We are 3 points off tenth. There is every chance we can stay up! It's like a remoaner board with all the doom and gloom.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here