Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea preview...we've definitely been rumbled

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
What Saturday’s game showed us is that we cannot defend our way to survival and the positives were that after a devastating first 6 minutes we attacked with intent and aggression (Schelotto) and on another day could have scored 2 or 3 goals. If we had a serious goal threat and hopefully Locadia will offer this and the onus being on attack as opposed to defense we could survive, the other key elements are confidence and belief. We can’t rely on Dunk and Duffy to be our main threat from corners based on the fact they haven’t scored all season and it’s not their job. We are not dead and buried but we will need to take risks to survive.

Last edited:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
This sentiment has been growing on here for a month or so, with those voicing such observations described as being bedwetters etc. It takes a Chelsea fan to communicate what a lot have been saying and now some are believing it, its been played out infront of us, perhaps now more will see how it really is. Its our tactics, strategy and team set up, thats put us where we are, no wonder we struggled to get a striker!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What Saturday’s game showed us is that we cannot defend our way to survival and the positives were that after a devastating first 6 minutes we attacked with intent and aggression (Schelotto) and on another day could have scored 2 or 3 goals. If we had a serious goal threat and hopefully Locadia will offer this and the onus being on attack as opposed to defense we could survive, the other key elements are confidence and belief. We can’t rely on Dunk and Duffy to be our main threat from corners based on the fact they haven’t scored all season and it’s not their job. We are not dead and buried but we will need to take risks to survive.

Or just get some better players in.

Hopefully Locadia is one, and is the first of a few.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We are 3 points off tenth. There is every chance we can stay up! It's like a remoaner board with all the doom and gloom.

It doesn't surprise me that those who are agreeing with that summary, are the perennial miserabilists. It matches their opinion, so it must be right.
Nobody gets relegated in January.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Or just get some better players in.

Hopefully Locadia is one, and is the first of a few.

We have spent 50 million and in the scheme of things this is modest, I think with a couple of canny purchases we could survive, I’m certainly not blaming Paul Trollope but I would like to see someone like Gerard or Lampard joining the coaching team as their PL experience could prove valuable. Ryan, Dunk, Duffy, Propper, Groß, Izquierdo and Knockaert (if he could gethis head together) have the potential to establish themselves as PL players, jury is out on March, Suttner and Stephens for me but I am not writing them off.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It doesn't surprise me that those who are agreeing with that summary, are the perennial miserabilists. It matches their opinion, so it must be right.

It must be nice to have absolutely no concerns about how this season is going. Being called a bedwetter or miserbalist is missing the point completely unless you have total confidence that our recruitment has been spot on.

We have no divine right to stay in this division and it won’t be the end of the world if we don’t but the snidey remarks about those who show concern is equally as irritating to us bedwetters (miserabilst) as we are to those not that concerned about the way things are going..imo.

Getting pissed off with the posters who get on their high horses making out that all is just fine whilst slagging off those showing concern. None of us has a clue how this season will pan out at the moment, so discussing it from both sides is what this forum is about surely?

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
NSC in moan up shocker.

To think that we used to joke last year that there would be people on here quick to start criticising Chris Hughton as soon as we had a tough spell in the PL...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It must be nice to have absolutely no concerns about how this season is going. Being called a bedwetter or miserbalist is missing the pint completely unless you have total confidence that our recruitment has been spot on.

Drawing conclusions because I'm not panicking. No, I don't have total confidence that our recruitment has been spot on, as you phrase it.
I am a bit more of a realist, and understand it has been difficult. If we stay up, we stay up, if we go down, it's not a disaster.
Tony Bloom is in it for the long haul, and he isn't going to jack it in if we get relegated.

I honestly don't know how some of you actually enjoy being a fan, when you have such angst all the time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Drawing conclusions because I'm not panicking. No, I don't have total confidence that our recruitment has been spot on, as you phrase it.
I am a bit more of a realist, and understand it has been difficult. If we stay up, we stay up, if we go down, it's not a disaster.
Tony Bloom is in it for the long haul, and he isn't going to jack it in if we get relegated.

I honestly don't know how some of you actually enjoy being a fan, when you have such angst all the time.

I am loving this season, and look forward to every game. I don’t slag the players off if we lose and in fact I have quite enjoyed some of the games we have lost heavily. Chelsea and Liverpoll being prime examples. No angst here just a realisation that all is not hunky dory and I think I am entitled to express those concerns, although I get the impression that it pisses some of you off. Hey ho.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We have spent 50 million and in the scheme of things this is modest, I think with a couple of canny purchases we could survive, I’m certainly not blaming Paul Trollope but I would like to see someone like Gerard or Lampard joining the coaching team as their PL experience could prove valuable. Ryan, Dunk, Duffy, Propper, Groß, Izquierdo and Knockaert (if he could gethis head together) have the potential to establish themselves as PL players, jury is out on March, Suttner and Stephens for me but I am not writing them off.

Similar views but I rate Stephens and Schelotto. DS's pace is fine, but Propper and Gross have none, so all three are under pressure in games against 3 man opposing CM's where all have pace and mobility.

To me, the jury's out on Knockaert too at PL level.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Can't disagree with any of that. So very very true.

If it had been written by an Albion fan, he would be dismissed as a bedwetter. As it was penned by an opposition fan very articulately, he is quite rightly held up as a speaker of the truth and what many of us, including myself, have been thinking for a while.

Please Chris, give our players more freedom like you did on Saturday and we'll pick up points. Go defensively again and I'll wish you well and see you depart to another Championship team to start that familiar cycle off all over again.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Similar views but I rate Stephens and Schelotto. DS's pace is fine, but Propper and Gross have none, so all three are under pressure in games against 3 man opposing CM's where all have pace and mobility.

To me, the jury's out on Knockaert too at PL level.

Good points, anyway I’m going to enjoy the struggle and just imagine the scenes of joy if we survive!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I'm not a miserabalist, but I am a realist. I'm not going to airbrush my opinions and just get the BHA pom-poms out when, in my opinion, our inherent negativity this season is starting to hurt us. This objective piece, from someone on the outside looking in, makes a number of very interesting and valid points IMO, and echoes my feeling that we are currently in the process of Middlesbrough-ing our way out of this division. Its a long way from over of course, and we have every chance of digging in and staying up. But I'm not a BHA cheerleader, I don't have the thighs. So if I have concerns, I'll air them.

The fact that some people view this as negativity, or dissent, is daft and patronising. If all I wanted was neverending positivity and cheerleading I'd just read the programme or go on brightonfans.com. Its worth remembering that there is a world of difference between considered concern, and grizzling.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I am loving this season, and look forward to every game. I don’t slag the players off if we lose and in fact I have quite enjoyed some of the games we have lost heavily. Chelsea and Liverpoll being prime examples. No angst here just a realisation that all is not hunky dory and I think I am entitled to express those concerns, although I get the impression that it pisses some of you off. Hey ho.

Of course you can express your concerns, but don't be surprised when others debate the point. We are entitled to, after all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Can't disagree with any of that. So very very true.

If it had been written by an Albion fan, he would be dismissed as a bedwetter. As it was penned by an opposition fan very articulately, he is quite rightly held up as a speaker of the truth and what many of us, including myself, have been thinking for a while.

Please Chris, give our players more freedom like you did on Saturday and we'll pick up points. Go defensively again and I'll wish you well and see you depart to another Championship team to start that familiar cycle off all over again.

You can see the attraction of going mass defensive. CC with Swansea went down that route last night, he admitted as much. I saw the entire match - a 10 man deep defensive block, they didn't mind being camped completely back, with Ayew a lone figure still in his own half chasing shadows. It worked, three points. It really was CH at his negative best, but Swansea got lucky in getting the opening goal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not a miserabalist, but I am a realist. I'm not going to airbrush my opinions and just get the BHA pom-poms out when, in my opinion, our inherent negativity this season is starting to hurt us. This objective piece, from someone on the outside looking in, makes a number of very interesting and valid points IMO, and echoes my feeling that we are currently in the process of Middlesbrough-ing our way out of this division. Its a long way from over of course, and we have every chance of digging in and staying up. But I'm not a BHA cheerleader, I don't have the thighs. So if I have concerns, I'll air them.

The fact that some people view this as negativity, or dissent, is daft and patronising. If all I wanted was neverending positivity and cheerleading I'd just read the programme or go on brightonfans.com. Its worth remembering that there is a world of difference between considered concern, and grizzling.

Again, just like Icy, you over egg the pudding when someone thinks more positively. The recruitment is spot on, getting the pom poms out etc etc.

I said I could name the people in this thread almost without opening it. The same people who said we weren't going to get promoted last season, Huddersfield would be in the automatic places and so forth.

It's not just this season. Every July I read 'The Championship is going to be much harder this year'

Glass half full, glass half empty. There are some on this forum who haven't even got a glass. I am not referring to you or Icy, but there are quite a few who do nothing but moan. You never see anything positive from them.
Before you come back and say I never post anything negative, yes, I do.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Very much spot on and many like myself have mentioned many a time the amount of defending our attackers do and that includes a 34 year old striker Murray.Clearly it's better to look to win and to utilise your players to their abilities and strengths.

Very good write up and spot on in every way :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here