Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton - isn't he bombproof in any circumstances this season?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I honestly think so, and rightly so - his position shouldn't be under any serious consideration.

To put this in its proper context, we have got, what, eight points out of the last 39, and sinking towards the bottom three? At virtually any other PL club CH would be under far more pressure, or have already been axed.

We all know what is at stake, and the £100million a year minimum rather than parachute payments and no guarantee of getting back up.

BUT. I just sense that Brighton will not act like most/all other clubs would in this situation. I think the bond between Hughton, Bloom, Barber, the players and the vast majority of fans is still strong.

I think the well of gratitude for hauling us up from the bottom of the Championship, and kicking on from the massive disappointment of 2016, is still far from empty.

And I honestly can't see him going even if we a) are where we are now or lower for the rest of the season, and b) end up being relegated.

I can't see him being under serious pressure until at the earliest about Oct/Nov this year if we were in the Championship and not challenging for promotion.

And then when it suits him/us he might go and do the Ireland job.

The nearest comparison is Dyche, who was given the chance to get Burnley back up after relegation.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I agree why sack the man who would be best placed to get us back up?

If we go down I won't blame our current players but the obvious lack of goals, that has to go down as the fault of the recruitment dept / board and our lack of signing a striker in the summer

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If we go down I won't blame our current players but the obvious lack of goals and that has to go down to as the fault of the recruitment dept / board

I'd also say key players from the last 2 seasons have struggled to step up to be brutally honest. March and Knockeart are simply not having the impact we might have hoped, Izqueirdo is taking time to settle into the demands of being consistent every minute of every game. We have been fortunate that Ryan, Propper and Gross settled so well to have the 23 points we have. If Schelotto continues in the same vain as Saturday, and Locadia makes an impact, I'm still optimistic we can scrap enough points together.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This season has been very frustrating rather than disastrous. We should be at least 6 points better off based on displays and match situations and we all know that. And agree with the points above, the lack of goals (and especially ability to get another goal when ahead to kill the game) plus Knocky's relative lack of impact have been factors.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If he started telling the players he was off at the end of the season, Brighton have reached their ceiling, and touting himself to other clubs, he might be in trouble.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's also the fact I cannot think of an available manager better suited to the job, if we were to go down.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
He didn't really rip up the championship away from home except for the odd game

Wasn't he Championship player of the season?
I know wingers are notoriously inconsistent but this season he just hasn't really made an impact. Last season on the whole he was a threat admittedly mainly at home

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I honestly think so, and rightly so - his position shouldn't be under any serious consideration.

To put this in its proper context, we have got, what, eight points out of the last 39, and sinking towards the bottom three? At virtually any other PL club CH would be under far more pressure, or have already been axed.

We all know what is at stake, and the £100million a year minimum rather than parachute payments and no guarantee of getting back up.

BUT. I just sense that Brighton will not act like most/all other clubs would in this situation. I think the bond between Hughton, Bloom, Barber, the players and the vast majority of fans is still strong.

I think the well of gratitude for hauling us up from the bottom of the Championship, and kicking on from the massive disappointment of 2016, is still far from empty.

And I honestly can't see him going even if we a) are where we are now or lower for the rest of the season, and b) end up being relegated.

I can't see him being under serious pressure until at the earliest about Oct/Nov this year if we were in the Championship and not challenging for promotion.

And then when it suits him/us he might go and do the Ireland job.

The nearest comparison is Dyche, who was given the chance to get Burnley back up after relegation.

I don't even think it is a question of gratitude or sentiment. If Burnley is the model to follow then we need to keep Hughton. I personally consider Hughton to be capable of at least what Dyche has achieved.

If we were to go down, come back up and solidify our position in the Premier League the way Burnley have I think we would all take that. That being said I would rather just stay up this season...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Wasn't he Championship player of the season?
I know wingers are notoriously inconsistent but this season he just hasn't really made an impact. Last season on the whole he was a threat admittedly mainly at home

He was a different player at home, maybe because of the way we played away, I guess this season he is playing against better defenders which has resulted in his confidence boing shot to bits.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If he lost the dressing room he could get sacked. It hasn't happened yet

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
TB was asked at the beginning of the season whether CH was bombproof (I think the actual word was 'fireproof') and he - wisely - didn't commit himself, as you never know what will happen. But he conveyed the impression that he had the utmost confidence in the manager.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know, I know, it's certainly not a given but SMASHING the Championship again would be properly fun. If (huge if) we kept the majority of our better players we could absolutely rinse that division.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I see little benefit in sacking the man that saved us relegation and brought us promotion. As others have said, Burnley kept hold if Dyche and look at them now. If/when we go down I think he’ll keep a good core of players and hopefully we’ll come back stronger.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Chris Hughton is a great manager in the Championship....no doubt about that.

However, I just have a niggle that to keep doing the same thing in the Premier League (Newcastle..defensive football, Norwich....... defensive football) and expecting a different outcome is rather optimistic.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I know, I know, it's certainly not a given but SMASHING the Championship again would be properly fun. If (huge if) we kept the majority of our better players we could absolutely rinse that division.

I hope this doesn't come back to haunt you!!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

I was just thinking about this myself, winning football is an absolute joy, getting bummed by Chelsea and Liverpool is absolutely horse shit. I’m glad we’ve been promoted, just to find out how bobbins it really is, but I’d take winning games in the Championship any day of the week.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I was just thinking about this myself, winning football is an absolute joy, getting bummed by Chelsea and Liverpool is absolutely horse shit. I’m glad we’ve been promoted, just to find out how bobbins it really is, but I’d take winning games in the Championship any day of the week.

I'm just imagining the likes of Gross, Izquierdo, Locadia and Propper in the Champ. Ridiculous. I'll stop now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here