Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] UKIP Last out turn off the light.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Small point of order - that was a referendum on PR lite not first past the post.

Its not even PR lite, Alternative Vote is not a form of proportional representation at all. By only putting AV on the ballot sheet the conservatives knew that they couldn't lose, the choice was between keeping a shit system thats not proportional or moving to a shit system thats also not proportional and in that situation people will always choose the status quo.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Small point of order - that was a referendum on PR lite not first past the post.

Its not even PR lite, Alternative Vote is not a form of proportional representation at all.

But it was a referendum on FPTP. People were offered the choice of FPTP or AV and chose FPTP.

So, therefore the voting system we use is the one the people selected.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The basis of our democratic system - the electorate vote in free and fair elections and the will of the majority is enacted.

The losing side insisting we should have another go, best of 3? is a new concept and not very democratic.

There is no requirement in democracy to suggest that the will of the majority must force the minority to change its mind. You may have noticed that those who were anti-EU membership continued to go on about it for forty years after losing the first vote over whether the UK should stay in. Let's not have double standards eh?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Never fails to make me smile how hard right people NOW support calls for PR when it was only the "wet, yoghurt knitting liberals" calling for it years ago when it was dismissed out of hand.

Never fails to make me smile when clowns like you describe somebody with moderate views as "hard right" simply because you dont agree with them.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
They should have pulled the shutters down last summer. Mission accomplished. Oh no, they got ideas above their station instead. The 3 week leader, the fight, the Harry Enfield leader. Its the Goon Show.

They realised that there's a great big gravy train in getting elected for anything from the local council upwards and wanted a slice of the pie.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Never fails to make me smile when clowns like you describe somebody with moderate views as "hard right" simply because you dont agree with them.

Didn't read the whole thread then?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But it was a referendum on FPTP. People were offered the choice of FPTP or AV and chose FPTP.

So, therefore the voting system we use is the one the people selected.

They selected the 'best' of two bad options. I might as well offer you the choice of a punch in the face or a kick in the nether regions .... and you've got to pick one !

I'd agree with you that people selected FPTP if they'd been offered every possibility. It was a con vote and the Lib Dems should be ashamed for accepting it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They selected the 'best' of two bad options. I might as well offer you the choice of a punch in the face or a kick in the nether regions .... and you've got to pick one !

I'd agree with you that people selected FPTP if they'd been offered every possibility. It was a con vote and the Lib Dems should be ashamed for accepting it.

Two things: if I'd been offered a punch in the face or a kick in the nether regions, I'd choose neither. An option that was available in the referendum - it wasn't compulsory to vote.

13.1m chose to stick with FPTP - that's not an insignificant number (nearly as many as voted for the Tories in the last GE).

The other thing is that FPTP has its flaws but it's scarcely compatible with a punch in the face. It's been used for a couple of hundred years during which there have been several changes to electoral law, it would have been easy to change it but there's been no demand to do so. If it were as bad as you said it was, there'd be thousands (millions?) looking to change it but there's been little support to do so.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

A simple majority in a referendum for a parliamentary democracy are nearly always a terrible device to change anything - not least because of ambiguity created by the way the question is framed. This is a good example (where the choice was a terrible one), and obviously Brexit where people voted on changing the fundamental direction of the country based on outright lies from both sides and no real understanding of what Brexit actually meant.

If we must have a referendum on things like Brexit, voting methods or independence, whether to maintain a royal family or whatever, the lesson we should learn is that it should be done with a majority of 2 thirds. At least this suggests a firm preference to a clear majority of people.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If we must have a referendum on things like Brexit, voting methods or independence, whether to maintain a royal family or whatever, the lesson we should learn is that it should be done with a majority of 2 thirds. At least this suggests a firm preference to a clear majority of people.

But in the electoral system question, there wasn't even a simple majority let alone two-thirds, so there was no need to change the system. We'd have stuck with FPTP.

With Brexit, there wouldn't have been two-thirds so we'd have remained in - I'm not sure whether that would have ended the debate.

BTW, I'm strongly opposed to referendums, I think they're a terrible idea, reducing complex issues to binary answers. But, if we're to have them, stick with the results they throw up - even if they're not palatable to some people.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But in the electoral system question, there wasn't even a simple majority let alone two-thirds, so there was no need to change the system. We'd have stuck with FPTP.

With Brexit, there wouldn't have been two-thirds so we'd have remained in - I'm not sure whether that would have ended the debate.

BTW, I'm strongly opposed to referendums, I think they're a terrible idea, reducing complex issues to binary answers. But, if we're to have them, stick with the results they throw up - even if they're not palatable to some people.
I agree with everything you say there, except for your first point where all I'd ask is what the point was of voting for electoral change if you're only offering the current method or some dogs breakfast of an alternative? Why reduce it to a binary answer at all? Why not give 3 or 4 credible alternatives?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I agree with everything you say there, except for your first point where all I'd ask is what the point was of voting for electoral change if you're only offering the current method or some dogs breakfast of an alternative? Why reduce it to a binary answer at all? Why not give 3 or 4 credible alternatives?

Because you're even less likely to get two-thirds majority that way.

Let's say that only about 25% of voters want to stick with FPTP (I think it would be higher than that but let's assume otherwise). The referendum offers the choice of Party List, AV and Mixed Member Proportional, say. 30% like PL, 10% like AV and 35% like MMP.

So, under your two-thirds idea, we'd stick with FPTP (the third most popular) as there's no majority for change.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because you're even less likely to get two-thirds majority that way.

Let's say that only about 25% of voters want to stick with FPTP (I think it would be higher than that but let's assume otherwise). The referendum offers the choice of Party List, AV and Mixed Member Proportional, say. 30% like PL, 10% like AV and 35% like MMP.

So, under your two-thirds idea, we'd stick with FPTP (the third most popular) as there's no majority for change.
Sorry, I should have said that my 2 thirds rule would only apply to a binary choice. And actually, a voting method referendum is an obvious special case anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here