Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Dale Stephens an ordinary player?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
After a shaky start to the season I thought Stephens went through a period of a dozen games where he got better, you can understand it would take a few games to acclimatise to the Premier.
I can understand the criticism of passing square but let's be honest often he has few options on the ball as the striker is isolated and the wide players are often far too static.
Basically I don't think you can say Stephens is an ordinary player on current form it's the whole team which is ordinary. I'm sure it will come good but we need a spark to make something happen.
I posted somewhere on here I think Dale would fit in the back three as the sweeper as he is comfortable on the ball and then we can play with Propper and Kayal in midfield making us a tad more positive.

Last edited:

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
I find it frustrating that some fans berated Ashley Barnes and hounded him until he felt unwanted yet fans laud Stephens who I find to be very very ORDINARY.

He is a competent player, nothing more. He is clumsy when tackling and gives away far too many free kicks, usually in great positions. He is slow and methodical when in possession so that we cannot break into the oppositions half with any kind of threat or surprise. His passing is ok, but again slow and not very inventive, and his ability to shoot when the chance arises has almost vanished from his game...Very ORDINARY indeed.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I find it frustrating that some fans berated Ashley Barnes and hounded him until he felt unwanted yet fans laud Stephens who I find to be very very ORDINARY.

He is a competent player, nothing more. He is clumsy when tackling and gives away far too many free kicks, usually in great positions. He is slow and methodical when in possession so that we cannot break into the oppositions half with any kind of threat or surprise. His passing is ok, but again slow and not very inventive, and his ability to shoot when the chance arises has almost vanished from his game...Very ORDINARY indeed.

If you actually read the article you would realise he is far from ORDINARY

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
If you actually read the article you would realise he is far from ORDINARY

'In fact there are no ordinary players' is what the article says.

All I'm saying is that at his level we need something more, that's all, it applies to many of our players who undoubtfully perform well at a certain level, the bar has been raised as we all know.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
'In fact there are no ordinary players' is what the article says.

All I'm saying is that at his level we need something more, that's all, it applies to many of our players who undoubtfully perform well at a certain level, the bar has been raised as we all know.
Yes it says that and also points out statistically he isnt ORDINARY either he is well above average. So you want to replace an above average premier league player with a better player, dont we all but you missed the point of the article completely.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Stephens biggest weakness is his dribbling which is almost non-existent. He's a very static player who usually plays a pass standing in the same place where he received the pass. He has no drive to carry the team forward. He hardly ever scores not to mention shoots. He's not quick or strong and does shy away when playing against a big midfield powerhouse.

On the positive, his link up play and one touch passing is very good and does look Prem quality. He knows how to spray the ball around bringing the wingers into play. He shows qualities of being our main play-maker (Southampon at home 1st half).

It's clear Stephens is a classy center midfielder in his style of play. Ordinary is definitely a bit harsh. He has his weaknesses and has shown a fair few ineffectual performances this season. But I do believe, if the general standard of the 1st team moved up a level, Stephens would be one of the few who would move up a level too. He would suit a passing team who create a lot of movement upfront rather than a team who all sit back trying to intercept whatever pass they get close to.
Probably the best passer of the ball in the team but our tactics are so negative, his only ever option is to either pass sideways or to an isolated Murray. Maybe Locadia will be the one to get the best out of Stephens?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here