Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sleepwalking back to the Championship

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We may well be going down - time will tell on that - but buying a £14 million forward with (hopefully) another striker to be signed says to me that we are not 'sleepwalking' anywhere.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I'm a photographer.

Of course there are other photographers whos work I admire and whos books Ive bought but If I ever met them I would never ask them to sign said book as i believe it would reflect badly on me, make me out to be a bit tinpot. Doesn't stop me still admiring them though.

It wouldn’t reflect badly on you and it wouldn’t be tinpot (what an overused, meaningless word that is!).

You will be judged on your skills as a photographer, nothing else. Asking another photographer to sign a book won’t make you a better or worse photographer. No-one who employs you will care about a book signing, even if they knew!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
TB alone will give the thumbs up or thumbs down to a return to the Championship being acceptable. Guess we'll know which is the case judged on the transfer activity between now and the end of the month. It's a case of spend what it takes now to maintain our PL status, or attempt an extremely tricky 'bounce straight back up' with our best players asset-stripped and a major rebuild necessary. Chairman's call really.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
It wouldn’t reflect badly on you and it wouldn’t be tinpot (what an overused, meaningless word that is!).

You will be judged on your skills as a photographer, nothing else. Asking another photographer to sign a book won’t make you a better or worse photographer. No-one who employs you will care about a book signing, even if they knew!

Sorry Knotty but you couldn't be more wrong.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Somewhat disconcerting that the club seems to be allowing away fans to buy tickets anywhere in the ground.

Outside the North on Saturday the stand manager was telling a group of women, who had NS tickets, that if he let them in they weren't to cheer or applaud when Chelsea scored. The women looked astonished to be told that.

So why are away fans apparently finding it so easy to buy tickets other than in the areas designated for away fans? And WTF was the NS manager doing ever contemplating letting Chelsea fans in the North Stand?

You will see plenty of posts on this board about people buying tickets for away games in the ‘home ends’ ...i’d hazard to guess it happens everywhere

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

I'll try to explain Knotty. I've just got back from Ethiopia where I was photographing the indigenous tribes of the Lower Omo Valley. There's another photographer who does the same thing, a french guy called Eric Lafforgue whos work is brilliant. If i ever met him I like to think that we'd talk about the tribes, the people, countries we'd been to, scrapes we'd got into, how many sales we'd made etc. If, halfway through the conversation I were to whip about his book and ask him to sign it, for me this would instantly create a distinction between us. It's one thing to say Eric I like your work very much, and quite another to say Eric I like your work very much, now Ive been out and bought your book, would you mind signing it for me, make it out to etc etc

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
TB alone will give the thumbs up or thumbs down to a return to the Championship being acceptable. Guess we'll know which is the case judged on the transfer activity between now and the end of the month. It's a case of spend what it takes now to maintain our PL status, or attempt an extremely tricky 'bounce straight back up' with our best players asset-stripped and a major rebuild necessary. Chairman's call really.

What is "spend what it takes" precisely in your view ? How much more than TB has spent in fees/wages do you think it takes.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm a photographer.

Of course there are other photographers whos work I admire and whos books Ive bought but If I ever met them I would never ask them to sign said book as i believe it would reflect badly on me, make me out to be a bit tinpot. Doesn't stop me still admiring them though.

That wasn't KG's question though. If you got to work with said photographers that you admire then wouldn't you actually put more effort in rather than less ?

Maybe put it into footballing terms - I played a bit of football in the past - not high level and certainly not very good. I now work with a couple of Albion ex-footballers. If I was lucky enough to get picked to play in one of the company's teams and we played against said ex-players I know I'd put that extra bit of effort in playing against them. Why would our current players not do so professionally ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

It's not just about whether it's "acceptable", it's also a question of "Which available manager would be best placed to take this set of players up?" - I suspect if you put that to a vote Hughton would win by an absolute country mile.

Seeing Carvalhal and Lambert get Prem jobs recently suggests there are bugger all good managers out there waiting for a Championship job.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
We’ll just have to disagree then. (If you are right about the consequences of another photographer signing a book for you, then you live in a very sad, shallow world.)

Exciting and colourful actually. :thumbsup:

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I'll try to explain Knotty. I've just got back from Ethiopia where I was photographing the indigenous tribes of the Lower Omo Valley. There's another photographer who does the same thing, a french guy called Eric Lafforgue whos work is brilliant. If i ever met him I like to think that we'd talk about the tribes, the people, countries we'd been to, scrapes we'd got into, how many sales we'd made etc. If, halfway through the conversation I were to whip about his book and ask him to sign it, for me this would instantly create a distinction between us. It's one thing to say Eric I like your work very much, and quite another to say Eric I like your work very much, now Ive been out and bought your book, would you mind signing it for me, make it out to etc etc

But you wouldn’t suddenly be a worse photographer because of it!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I think I get what he's saying, almost like psychologically the moment you do something like that you create a hierarchy where the other is clearly seen as higher than you. Is the theory anyway...

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Sorry Knotty but you couldn't be more wrong.

As someone who works with a lot of photographers, I'm not sure how he is - there's nothing wrong with appreciating someone's work and doing something like that.

Besides, on the subject of the players getting autographs - who's to say it's for them? They have family, friends etc who they may have thought 'Oh, an autograph for them would make a great little gift'. And even if it is for them, they're allowed to admire people as well. They're only human.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

No of course not. But getting back to the players, I've no problem with any of our players showing respect to fellow professionals at the right time, Ive also never criticised their ability or their desire to win. I am just concerned that sometimes they get star struck and are in awe and this can sometimes come across as yes, a bit tinpot, they need to realise that they are in the premier league on merit and deserve to be so.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I think I get what he's saying, almost like psychologically the moment you do something like that you create a hierarchy where the other is clearly seen as higher than you. Is the theory anyway...

Bingo Mellotron :thumbsup: and not a moment too soon

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Thats interesting, I see what you're saying, although its actually the other way round in the biology world, signing your book for someone is considered a mark of respect for the person you're signing for.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Thats interesting, I see what you're saying, although its actually the other way round in the biology world, signing your book for someone is considered a mark of respect for the person you're signing for.

Fair enough Kali, I was only joshing about the cap thingy. Much to my shame I did have to google Jane Goodall though, as the name sounded familiar

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here