Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Former England and Blackpool captain and BBC pundit has died

Cant recall watching him play ..but always liked listening to him on the radio

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The 5th member of the 1966 WC squad to leave us

Never saw him play but he was a decent pundit on the radio.

RIP

EDIT: 6th member, I hadn't realised that John Connelly had died

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
An excellent radio voice where he came across as knowledgeable and always down played his own achievements in the game.

RIP

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Very much old school. A terrific fullback by all accounts, played on same flank as Stanley Matthews at Blackpool for many years.

Held in the highest regard at the BBC by all who worked with him.

Full respect due, RIP Mr Armfield.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Captain of England too. Remember hearing his name first on radio commentary in 1962, so someone who seems to have always been there. Sadly no more - RP.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
I am old enough to have been able to see him play,quality player and in his retirement from playing one of the best pundits ever RIP sir,thank you for years of entertainment

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Really sad news, changed the face of Radio commentary, and a gentle chap.

Will the club announce another minutes applause for this one?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've just read Bobby Moore's biography and in it I was struck by how measured, careful, insightful and sensitive Jimmy Armfield's contributions were. That summed him up for me as a radio journalist. He was always someone you'd make time to listen to.

I never knew him as a player, but the World Cup winning team thought he was a god.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Always sounded humble and from an era long gone in football. He must have spaned the generations from Sir Stanley Matthews to Venables and Mullary.

Sounded all about loyalty, only one team, even though Man Utd wanted to buy him, he was not alloweed to leave. Captain of England in 1966 but injury took a home world cup finals away from him. But never complained.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Worked with his Son, Duncan, for a while, another nice guy. Sincere condolences to all of the family and RIP Mr Armfield.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Should have won the European Cup with Leeds United in 1975 but for some shocking refereeing decisions.

Another true gent of the game gone.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Always sounded humble and from an era long gone in football. He must have spaned the generations from Sir Stanley Matthews to Venables and Mullary.

Sounded all about loyalty, only one team, even though Man Utd wanted to buy him, he was not alloweed to leave. Captain of England in 1966 but injury took a home world cup finals away from him. But never complained.

“BUT NEVER COMPLAINED” - spot on. Absolutely this!

A man from a bygone era whose like we will never see again. RIP Jimmy Armfield and thank you for being the man, true sportsman and role model you were.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here