Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Self Assessment 2016-17

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Your tax is due by 31 January, which is 10 months into the next tax year. So you've earnt the money that they are taxing you in. If anything, you're still four months behind.

Gazwag & Normski.
Thanks.
To be honest i know sod all about it, i am quite lucky in that Mrs Chopper does the spreadsheets and fully understands it, and sends them to the accountant who is a friend and meets up with him to discuss my tax when needed.
All i know is that i pay tax going forward on money not taken yet and i am sure 6 months was mentioned, i should know more i know and will ask the questions tommorrow and find out, either way a one man band self employed person should not pay tax on future money in my opinion, its not right.
All I do is shout a lot and kick the cat when the tax bill is due.
Last year I was made a limited company which apparently is not illegal but very much frowned upon and totally changes my tax affairs, it will kick in soon so will be interesting to see what tax i will be paying.
I trust Mrs Chopper & the accountant that they are doing it right.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Corrected
Seeing as it's almost ten months past the 16/17 tax year, he should hear within the next few months, as I said. That would be 12 months+ after the tax year in question, so I see your point.
Gazwag & Normski.
Thanks.
To be honest i know sod all about it, i am quite lucky in that Mrs Chopper does the spreadsheets and fully understands it, and sends them to the accountant who is a friend and meets up with him to discuss my tax when needed.
All i know is that i pay tax going forward on money not taken yet and i am sure 6 months was mentioned, i should know more i know and will ask the questions tommorrow and find out, either way a one man band self employed person should not pay tax on future money in my opinion, its not right.
All I do is shout a lot and kick the cat when the tax bill is due.
Last year I was made a limited company which apparently is not illegal but very much frowned upon and totally changes my tax affairs, it will kick in soon so will be interesting to see what tax i will be paying.
I trust Mrs Chopper & the accountant that they are doing it right.
You aren't paying tax on future money. You've received the money, but haven't declared it yet. Payments on account are a pain in the backside but they are quite logical and fair.

Oh, and Limited Companies aren't frowned upon at all. They're very common and a good way to save a small amount of tax.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
I'm meant to be doing my return now.

Luckily NSC has a thread on Self-Assessment, so my procrastination kind of feels like I'm being productive.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I'm in smug camp. did mine back in April / May as i do every year, always have is as running total so just a matter of inputting it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Seeing as it's almost ten months past the 16/17 tax year, he should hear within the next few months, as I said. That would be 12 months+ after the tax year in question, so I see your point.You aren't paying tax on future money. You've received the money, but haven't declared it yet. Payments on account are a pain in the backside but they are quite logical and fair.

Oh, and Limited Companies aren't frowned upon at all. They're very common and a good way to save a small amount of tax.

This.

HMRC like dealing with limited companies. The accounts must follow company law and accounting standards, plus the accounts and corporate tax return are both filed in electronic formats which allow easy computer analysis for anomalies.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This.

HMRC like dealing with limited companies. The accounts must follow company law and accounting standards, plus the accounts and corporate tax return are both filed in electronic formats which allow easy computer analysis for anomalies.

As an aside I was talking to HMRC a while back about EC sales. I was a little late when they switched from 3 months to 1 month but the guy told me not to worry as they’re 18 months behind themselves. Brilliant.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I shall submit mine tomorrow....or maybe Tuesday. I like the thrill of leaving it late.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Have been doing them last few weeks (I'm an accountant). Still a few to do - including my own

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Deadline day... in more days than one!

Guess what numpty accountant thought it'd be a good idea to break a tooth and need a root canal on the same day as the tax return deadline. *waves hand*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here