Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Baldock

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Thought the decision. To bring murray on for Hemed instead of replacing March with Baldock when we made our first substitution was an appalling decision and sealed our defeat. I agree that formation was crying out for Sam Baldock and two strikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't think that Sam should necessarily be starting.
However why he isn't coming on as a substitute to offer something different and to increase his match fitness, is beyond me.

At 0-2 yesterday after 70 minutes of not finding a way through...... on come like for like changes.
Why not roll the dice, try something different?

We have some variations available to us we should use them IMO. Otherwise what was the point of extending his contract?

Some games suit Baldock, some don't. I'm not convinced yesterday's was his type of game. He is usually most effective in the first half at all-square or us in front, when he can use his pace to stretch defences. Late on, chasing goals, he rarely does much, I certainly can't remember him doing much in second halfs last season

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thought the decision. To bring murray on for Hemed instead of replacing March with Baldock when we made our first substitution was an appalling decision and sealed our defeat. I agree that formation was crying out for Sam Baldock and two strikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We weren't scoring 2 goals, let alone 3 in the last 20 minutes.

What's the point in risking Baldock getting him to chase a lost cause?
Unfortunately recently the team hasn't been in a position to use SB's pace to chase a win or push the opposition back.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Very surprised he didn't come on instead of Jose (who did nothing). If nothing else just to see how it worked with two up front.

and you expected what in 8 minutes............loooooool

Do me a favour......what a plonker

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The only thing I can think of about Sam is that Chris is holding him back for the matches coming up, before the new signing we were knackered for strikers, any injuries for Glenn and or Tomer going forward and we will be right up shit alley and definately down, to have played Sam every week since he got fit may have been suicide as he is so injury prone.
The new signing will really help but he is carrying an injury,I am sure we will see Sam playing much more as we enter the crucial time with 4 goal scorers.
As I said, injuries could put the nail in our coffin.
But he should have played some part yesterday.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Maybe we should let Propper pick the team - he seems to get it - talking about 3-5-2 in the argus:

“I think we can play like this, with two faster strikers who run behind the defence. We can get some chances.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Struck me as very odd that if we were going to play in that formation that we left our two quickest players on the bench and then didn't bring one of them on until the game was so far gone. Gross didn't appear to be anywhere near as effective playing so deep.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Maybe we should let Propper pick the team - he seems to get it - talking about 3-5-2 in the argus:

“I think we can play like this, with two faster strikers who run behind the defence. We can get some chances.
Oh dear that's him dropped then.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
It does appear to be the case - which is why the new contract in the summer seems so strange now...

Maybe they gave him the contract but Chris and SB fell out sometime afterwards? He must have rated him at the time for it to happen, it wouldn't have been a board decision as I'm sure Chris has heavy input with regards contract discussions and transfer targets. Just a really bizarre situation, maybe in the event that Chris really didn't rate him but he still got a contract it was just done to increase his sell on value?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Couldn't understand the logic of a like-for-like substitution (Murray for Hemed) at the time when we had a variation (Baldock) available. 100% behind Hughton, but I do struggle to understand why he does what he does at times.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Not a big fan of Baldock by any means, but the club should either play him or let him go. They owe him that much.

We owe him nothing, he owes us years of wages whilst hiding in the treatment room!

The real problem is that he just doesn't have the quality to impact the game. Does anyone REALLY think he'd have caused Chelsea's megabucks defence any real problems? There's no final product with him, he's all huff and no puff which is why he's not getting in the team. That being said, I do think he would have offered more than March did - and picking March when Baldock and Izquierdo are far more natural in that position was very strange.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
We owe him nothing, he owes us years of wages whilst hiding in the treatment room!

The real problem is that he just doesn't have the quality to impact the game. Does anyone REALLY think he'd have caused Chelsea's megabucks defence any real problems? There's no final product with him, he's all huff and no puff which is why he's not getting in the team. That being said, I do think he would have offered more than March did - and picking March when Baldock and Izquierdo are far more natural in that position was very strange.
I usually think your comments are pretty spot on but not today.. apart from the first paragraph.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Rubbish
He contributed 12 goals for us last season, some of them absolute corkers, and most of them CRUCIAL. I'm not saying he'd tear it up in the PL, but his pace and workrate would certainly bring something to the team that we currently lack, and there's always a chance of him chipping in with a few.

Which makes his complete exclusion from the field since he got fit utterly baffling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here