Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] So what was the point in signing the Colombian bloke?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah, yet CH seems to think he’s a spare full back...

Your constant bed wetting is getting very tedious now. Izquierdo is hardly the forgotten man of the club, he has been a regular starter for weeks. OK, so he played a withdrawn role against Chelsea. Can anyone remind me how we got on when we last played a top 6 team at home and looked to score lots of goals?

Sheebo and Not Andy Naylor are right - give it a bit of time. He'll have effective games again, I'm sure of it. And anyone can make good YT montages for good players from games against pub team defenders. Can anyone remember the one of Paddy McCourt when he was at Celtic? He looked a world beater and funnily enough seemed to have an awful lot of time there too.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Perhaps you can remind me in which games we got the ball to him quick enough for him to play like that? Stoke and Bournemouth are the only games I can think of and he shone in both. He is wasted and not very good at the way he is expected to play, hence he doesn’t get to play very often. Did I mention that we need to play to his strenghs. Square pegs and round holes springs to mind.

Edit he did well at West Ham too.

I agree. In the majority of cases in the highlights reel above when he gets the ball in a similar position to the ones he does here, he goes past defenders with ease because they are not anywhere near Premier League quality. Against Stoke and Bournemouth we were helped by the fact that the defences played high up and he was able to attack the space behind them without the need to cut back and inside onto his right foot, which is the point where (in most cases, but not West Ham) he runs into traffic here.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Your constant bed wetting is getting very tedious now. Izquierdo is hardly the forgotten man of the club, he has been a regular starter for weeks. OK, so he played a withdrawn role against Chelsea. Can anyone remind me how we got on when we last played a top 6 team at home and looked to score lots of goals?

Sheebo and Not Andy Naylor are right - give it a bit of time. He'll have effective games again, I'm sure of it. And anyone can make good YT montages for good players from games against pub team defenders. Can anyone remember the one of Paddy McCourt when he was at Celtic? He looked a world beater and funnily enough seemed to have an awful lot of time there too.

You are now comparing Izquierdo to Paddy McCourt? OK then

Not sure how suggesting that Izquiredo is wasted in the current set up is bedwetting but fine, if that’s what you think, but I am surprised anyone thinks CH is playing him well in the system :shrug:

CH has his faults, hard to believe but true.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Ive said multiple times that i think he is the answer to our problems. He has pace and an eye for goal, yet we have not played to his strengths or given him enough game time.

We need to start being more positive and I think to do that Izquierdo has to start.

He's part of the answer to our problems.

The biggest issue I have with his signing is that his style doesn't compliment the strategy that many of the other players play with (whether naturally or how they've been asked to play). His strengths don't lend themselves to a slow build up with intricate passes into feet. Still, I think there's a very good player in there who, with the right strategy and with the right players around him, could really begin to cause problems for Premier League defenders.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

to be fair, Paddy didn't cost £13m and was actually played in his preferred position.

My concern is that we are also now expecting this dutch wunderkind to hit the ground running ( when he has been out with a injury) and him to get how we play immediately. If we play like we did against Chelsea ( although to be fair the game was gone after 10 minutes and they took their foot off the gas as Conte was so annoyed about) then I would hope he will get decent service. I assume he is not a like for like replacement for Murray/Hemed and certainly at home, we don't see him stood alone up front. I would like to see him and Izquierdo up front together, and just play a back three, at home at least.

We have now spent £27 million + on two players and they will hopefully be paired together.

Of course you could argue that is not Hughton's safety first game, but it may turn into a requirement if we see ourselves on the slide. Our next away games are not as easy as some seem to think.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
to be fair, Paddy didn't cost £13m and was actually played in his preferred position.

My concern is that we are also now expecting this dutch wunderkind to hit the ground running ( when he has been out with a injury) and him to get how we play immediately. If we play like we did against Chelsea ( although to be fair the game was gone after 10 minutes and they took their foot off the gas as Conte was so annoyed about) then I would hope he will get decent service. I assume he is not a like for like replacement for Murray/Hemed and certainly at home, we don't see him stood alone up front. I would like to see him and Izquierdo up front together, and just play a back three, at home at least.

We have now spent £27 million + on two players and they will hopefully be paired together.

Of course you could argue that is not Hughton's safety first game, but it may turn into a requirement if we see ourselves on the slide. Our next away games are not as easy as some seem to think.

Two points. 1) Haven't we been on the slide for quite a while now? And 2) are there still people that think there are easy games at this level for a team in our position?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think it is impossible to judge Izquierdo until Locadia starts and we finally see some pace up front.

Izquierdo loves to cut inside and - according to the highlight reels - Locadia likes to run the channels, so I see good things happening on the left with them both in the line-up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think it is impossible to judge Izquierdo until Locadia starts and we finally see some pace up front.

Izquierdo loves to cut inside and - according to the highlight reels - Locadia likes to run the channels, so I see good things happening on the left with them both in the line-up.

That is true but then we come back to our very suspect defence to undo all their possible good.or are we going to hope that if we concede 3 those two will score 4.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That is true but then we come back to our very suspect defence to undo all their possible good.or are we going to hope that if we concede 3 those two will score 4.

We haven't got a very suspect defence and I don't expect us to be involved in too many 2-1s, let alone 4-3s.

If there was any good to come out of the Chelsea debacle it was that Schelotto raised the bar in terms of work rate and application. I hope this rubs off on the rest of the team.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
and he was taken off at half time at WBA for some equally inexplicable reason......really did not understand that at all and yes i can spell his name and yes I understand rotation of the squad which if we did it would mean Izquierdo would have played more.

Knockaert and izquierdo we’re both ineffective at WBA. Either one could have come off but March and Izquierdo are both used on the left, so he came off. He has played and more than March since he was deemed ready to start at Arsenal. I don’t really see your point.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Knockaert and izquierdo we’re both ineffective at WBA. Either one could have come off but March and Izquierdo are both used on the left, so he came off. He has played and more than March since he was deemed ready to start at Arsenal. I don’t really see your point.

I guess it is all down to opinions but I have to say I didn't understand that change one bit ..

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
We haven't got a very suspect defence and I don't expect us to be involved in too many 2-1s, let alone 4-3s.

If there was any good to come out of the Chelsea debacle it was that Schelotto raised the bar in terms of work rate and application. I hope this rubs off on the rest of the team.

We are suspect at the back otherwise we would not have let in so many goals from what were free headers , painful to accept but our two central rocks have not been as good in recent months as they were in first dozen games... Not disastrous but not as good and unfortunately as we seem not to be able to score then we have a problem once we concede.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Season to bed in, a full pre season and I suspect we will see a different player next season.

Just hope that’s in the Premier League.
Knowing our heirachy, it probably literally will be a different player. One with more defensive mindset. Izquerido is far too likely to add an unwanted attacking threat to our play.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Could have had hat trick today. Needed starts to settle into English game and we're now seeing benefit of that. Our most attacking wide man.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really exciting player and he plays for Brighton in the Premier League. Love it

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here