Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] So what was the point in signing the Colombian bloke?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Rule 1 in football, when you don't have the ball you defend and these defensive duties are carried out by all 10 outfield players. We are playing in a league where we don't always have the majority of possession and thus spend far more time defending than attacking. We can't attack if we haven't got the ball. Because March is currently a more disciplined defender than Izquierdo he tends to spend more minutes on the pitch precisely because we see less of the ball as other teams are better at retaining possession than us as they often possess better players than us.

I don’t disagee, which is why I said he is a player that doesn’t suit Hughton’s tactics most of the time. His strengths are running with the ball at defenders and slick interplay whilst doing it. He would be a revelation at a team like Bournemouth, one of the other strugglers. Maybe if we we were more aggressive in the tackle rather than backing off most of the time we might be able to attack a bit more.

Last edited:

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
I don’t disagee, which is why I said he is a player that doesn’t suit Hughton’s tactics most of the time. His strengths are running with the ball at defenders and slick interplay whilst doing it.

Yeah you're right, I've just been watching over some of his highlights, sure the fella likes to cut in on his right but he's got so much more to give. It's so frustrating as I think he could do so much more for us.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
FFS! How can you have the audacity to even argue that when Izquierdo started the PREVIOUS TWO Premier League games and Knockaert wasn’t even on the bench today. Oh and March wasn’t selected for the previous two Premier League games.

and he was taken off at half time at WBA for some equally inexplicable reason......really did not understand that at all and yes i can spell his name and yes I understand rotation of the squad which if we did it would mean Izquierdo would have played more.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yeah you're right, I've just been watching over some of his highlights, sure the fella likes to cut in on his right but he's got so much more to give. It's so frustrating as I think he could do so much more for us.

Totally and utterly wasted for the way we play. No idea why we even signed him :down:

I’m not even going to thank you for posting that montage, it’s depressing to know what he is capable of and it’s certainly not being a back up for a full back. And people wonder why he looks so pissed off

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm afraid that looking at his highlight video just shows what he can do against defenders in an easier league than the one he's playing in (or not playing in) now. He doesn't often get that sort of space over here and the goalkeepers are better.

It's all very well to say that players here are overpriced, but you could also say that players from other leagues are cheaper for a reason.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm afraid that looking at his highlight video just shows what he can do against defenders in an easier league than the one he's playing in (or not playing in) now. He doesn't often get that sort of space over here and the goalkeepers are better.

It's all very well to say that players here are overpriced, but you could also say that players from other leagues are cheaper for a reason.

Perhaps you can remind me in which games we got the ball to him quick enough for him to play like that? Stoke and Bournemouth are the only games I can think of and he shone in both. He is wasted and not very good at the way he is expected to play, hence he doesn’t get to play very often. Did I mention that we need to play to his strenghs. Square pegs and round holes springs to mind.

Edit he did well at West Ham too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He is/was a bad buy as he does not play the CH way, so cannot understand why we spent so much money on him then dont play to his strengths and expect him to change his game to suit our style.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think he’s a quality player and seriously dangerous. Offers something completely different and was a great buy for the squad given the other wingers we have and their style. There, I said it.

I’m even gonna do something crazy and give him some time before giving a final verdict on him - I’m mad me.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think he’s a quality player and seriously dangerous. Offers something completely different and was a great buy for the squad given the other wingers we have and their style. There, I said it.

I’m even gonna do something crazy and give him some time before giving a final verdict on him - I’m mad me.

Yeah, yet CH seems to think he’s a spare full back...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Against Bournemouth we played to win so José was played as an attacking player. That is the point, he is not a defender and most of the time he is on the pitch that is what he is asked to do. Total waste of a talented attacking player. He is a bad fit for Ch’s tactics most games and I imagine he might have been missold the club re the way he would be asked to play.
Lets be honest CH tactics aren't working. He tried something different against Chelsea probably not the best game to try but at least he did.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton

Your radical approach is not welcome here.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He often receives the ball to his feet, which doesn't make the best use of his pace.
It's the way that Solly and Knocky tend to pick up the ball too. So I guess it's what is expected from him.

When passes are played in behind for him, his pace will terrify the opposition.
I would like to see us play to his strengths when he's on the pitch.
We don't.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Just continue to play him, he need regular games that's all. He's a goal threat we need him in the side.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Ive said multiple times that i think he is the answer to our problems. He has pace and an eye for goal, yet we have not played to his strengths or given him enough game time.

We need to start being more positive and I think to do that Izquierdo has to start.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
I see the point in signing him as he's a very good player that has shown bits of what he could end up doing for us. He is a bit of a rough diamond at present but he's just not being used in the correct way in Hughton's system and hasn't been given a long enough run in the team to have a real impact, he will have a slightly below average game and instantaneously be dropped. He is an inside forward with bags of pace that likes to cut inside, not a supporting winger that drops back. He'd have been suited a high pressing attacking unit like Hudds, B'muff or Southampton a lot better than us really but I'm still really glad that we have him

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He was awesome against Stoke if I recall. Stephens and Dunk were just zipping balls for him to chase and their full back had no idea what was going on.

That cant be true as Stephens only plays little square balls or back passes according to most on here. I do however believe that if we are to survive we need more of those balls played for him both home and away and let the defenders do what they are supposed to do defend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here