Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is the Prem even worth staying in?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
In think your first point is quite flawed; what do we as fans get from that? Thats putting bank numbers ahead of our experience of turning up to games and enjoying seeing us score!

In response to the relegation line, it was rash for sure, but the point about winning a few games a year enough to survive still stands. Rips the heart out of a club IMO.

I understand your overall point here, however there's no cast-iron guarantee that relegated teams are going to perform better in a lower division.

The better players leave whilst the lesser players stay on significantly higher wages than in that division.

Lower crowds, massively less TV money even with parachute payments.

As far as enjoying the experience, 30,000 at home to Chelsea or 15,000 at home to Shrewsbury?

We don't automatically get the goals and points for just turning up.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I don't mean to troll anyone, but for christ sake, enjoy the entertainment! We won't win as many as we would in the championship (which I thoroughly enjoyed, but love the premier league). It's only a GAME but I do allow my emotions to rule over the weekend.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
I find irony in being called a plastic at not enjoying the Prem and making up the numbers. For me it seems getting here is what the exciting part was, journey more than the destination

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
I understand your overall point here, however there's no cast-iron guarantee that relegated teams are going to perform better in a lower division.

The better players leave whilst the lesser players stay on significantly higher wages than in that division.

Lower crowds, massively less TV money even with parachute payments.

As far as enjoying the experience, 30,000 at home to Chelsea or 15,000 at home to Shrewsbury?

We don't automatically get the goals and points for just turning up.

Possibly, but as bad as it got at Withdean and the years before at least it felt like it meant something, you know?. Sure we will get the odd win against the top clubs if we hang on up here for a while longer, but then it essentially becomes like drawing and playing a big team in the cup.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Ahh the old 'he has a different opinion to me he must be a bad fan' card. The rest of the points are fair, maybe being a yoyo club for a bit before having a another (hopefully better) crack at it could be what I'm after

I never mentioned the words bad fan. I am questioning the logic and what you feel satisfied watching. Forget the yo-yo club thing, if you go down, it’s an absolute nightmare getting back up again. I’d rather stay in the Premier League and build from there if we can backed up with another bloody great chunk of PL money

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
I never mentioned the words bad fan. I am questioning the logic and what you feel satisfied watching. Forget the yo-yo club thing, if you go down, it’s an absolute nightmare getting back up again. I’d rather stay in the Premier League and build from there if we can backed up with another bloody great chunk of PL money

It was very much alluded to at the end of your post, as well as some of the othe replies. Maybe you’re right, and I certainly want us to make a go of it, just struggling to see it right now.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Possibly, but as bad as it got at Withdean and the years before at least it felt like it meant something, you know?. Sure we will get the odd win against the top clubs if we hang on up here for a while longer, but then it essentially becomes like drawing and playing a big team in the cup.

Palace made it to to a Cup Final a couple of seasons back, Southampton made it to the League Cup final last season. The glory is still there in football for those outside the top 6.

I'd argue that it means even more now because of the struggles with the end of the Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean years.

Even then, it wasn't all sweetness and light at Withdean despite the success there.

Friday 10th December 1999
Brighton 3 Rochdale 4
Pouring down with rain.

It's a lot better now for sure.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:sick::sick::sick::sick:

Yeah, great. Let's lose 4-0 every week.

I've seen so many shitehouse games over the decades, whether they be wins loses or draws, I'd quite like to stay in a division that can see us hammering Chelsea for 70 minutes in a very entertaining game.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8295013 said:
Bore off. Do you only enjoy football when we win?

Pretty much. That's how competition works.
A gripping 2-2 is fine but first and foremost I want us to win.
This isn't the cinema or the opera, though. I don't watch to be amazed. I want us to win and I couldn't care less how we achieve that. Sometimes the most satisfying result is to play crap and steal a win.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Pretty much. That's how competition works.
A gripping 2-2 is fine but first and foremost I want us to win.
This isn't the cinema or the opera, though. I don't watch to be amazed. I want us to win and I couldn't care less how we achieve that. Sometimes the most satisfying result is to play crap and steal a win.

Maybe you should support Chelsea then? Personally I like to see us play well and win. Today we played well and lost - to one of the best teams in Europe full of superstar players. I'm disappointed we lost but I enjoyed seeing my little old Brighton put in a really good performance after such a difficult start.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8295030 said:
Maybe you should support Chelsea then? Personally I like to see us play well and win. Today we played well and lost - to one of the best teams in Europe full of superstar players. I'm disappointed we lost but I enjoyed seeing my little old Brighton put in a really good performance after such a difficult start.

I should support Chelsea because I want us to win games?
Get a grip.
If you really think we played well, go back and look at the defending and then come back to me all high and mighty about being a better supporter.
We were wide open and there for the taking throughout. Seems you enjoyed it so much - perhaps it is you who would benefit more from watching Chelsea every week.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Personally I hate the premier league and what it has/hasn't done for Englaish football and the national team. I accept that TB needs to recoup some/most of his outlay and am quite happy to see a couple of seasons trying to survive. There does come a time, however, that we need to just go out there every match and really have a go at teams, even if we get some hammerings and go down. We should by then have built an infrastructure that would see us yo-yo a bit.
I thought we gave it a bit more of a go today. If we had put in a performance like that against some of the poorer sides we could have more points on the board.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Doesn't matter what league you're in, losing and not scoring isn't much fun to watch every week. Looking forward to relegation and not becoming a Sunderland or Wigan.
So what you're basically saying is you'd like to support a team like Ipswich. Nice middle of the road championship side, no jeopardy, little excitement, not much ambition but no fear of relegation.

Each to their own I suppose.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
So what you're basically saying is you'd like to support a team like Ipswich. Nice middle of the road championship side, no jeopardy, little excitement, not much ambition but no fear of relegation.

Each to their own I suppose.

Genuinely impressed at how you've reached that conclusion. Congrats

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here