PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Saturday 20th January 2018
Kick-off: 12:30 GMT
Referee: Jonathan Moss
Assistants: Eddie Smart, Andy Halliday
Fourth official: Kevin Friend

TEAM NEWS

Chelsea are without forwards Alvaro Morata and Pedro, who were both sent off during the FA Cup penalty-shootout win over Norwich on Wednesday.

Gary Cahill and Cesc Fabregas are also absent due to respective hamstring injuries.

However, Antonio Conte has confirmed that Ross Barkley will be included in the squad for the first time.

Brighton will again be without Steve Sidwell who fractured his ankle while recovering from back surgery.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Simon Brotherton: "As it's not currently used in the Premier League, at least we know it won't be VAR making the headlines at the Amex Stadium.

"Chelsea's dramatic FA Cup replay win over Norwich on Wednesday certainly provided plenty of talking points as they eventually prevailed on penalties.

"It also left them with nine players on the pitch by the end, which means both Alvaro Morata and Pedro are unavailable for this early kick-off.

"Brighton have managed to stay away from the relegation fight up to now but that could soon change in a very tight lower half of the table. Worryingly for them, they've only won one of the last 12 league games and failed to score in eight of them."

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Brighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton on making new signings in January: "I'm sure there will be, but we have got used to these windows where the business is mostly done at the tail end of it more than the beginning.

"Is a striker still the priority? I think it has to be. We have a competitive squad, but we have found it difficult to get the goals we need.

"We are still actively trying to bring in a centre-half and then the possibility of Connor Goldson going out on loan.

"If we are able to do that then we will."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton have lost their last seven games against Chelsea in all competitions, failing to score in six of them.
    [*=left]The Premier League meeting on Boxing Day, which Chelsea won 2-0, was the first between the two clubs since 1989.
    [*=left]Brighton's only win came in the first meeting in 1933, a 2-1 home victory in the FA Cup.

Brighton

• [*=left]Brighton have lost only two of their 11 Premier League home fixtures (W3, D6).
    [*=left]However, they have been defeated in all six league matches this season against the current top six, scoring once.
    [*=left]They have conceded a league-high 16 goals from set-pieces in 2017-18.
    [*=left]Albion have never beaten the reigning top-flight champions in a league match, losing seven and drawing two of their nine fixtures.
    [*=left]The Seagulls are one short of 200 top-flight goals. However, only bottom club Swansea have scored fewer league goals than Brighton's 17 this season.

Chelsea

• [*=left]Chelsea could go three league away games without a win for the first time under Antonio Conte.
    [*=left]They could also remain winless in their opening three Premier League matches of a calendar year for the first time in 23 years.
    [*=left]Their only away victory in six league and cup matches was 3-1 at Huddersfield Town on 12 December (W1, D4, L1).
    [*=left]The Blues have lost just one of their 27 Premier League matches as reigning champions versus promoted opposition (W21, D5), a 1-0 home defeat by Bournemouth in 2015. The winner was scored by current Brighton player Glenn Murray.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Drinkwater and Courtois both reported as doubtful too.

I know many think we should go for it against a weakened Chelsea and that was my instinct a couple of days ago. But I think Hughton will set up as usual against Top6 teams, to stay in the game until the 2nd half. Some who will probably have to start for Chelsea - Willian, Luiz, Azpilacuerta - played 120 minutes less than 60 hours ago. Logically, our best chance is to crank things up late on. So I'm #TeamHughton today.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Mantra... stay positive... stay positive... stay positive... stay positive... stay positive... stay positive... stay positive... stay positive... stay positive... stay positive... stay positive... stay positive... stay positive...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
With fortune the Gods of Football will smile on us today.

:albion2:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Chelsea - the only club that we've never beaten in a league match. Would be a great day to change that, but I'm not hopeful. Not only will we need a big slice of the luck which doesn't seem to have been flowing our way lately, we'll also need a better performance than the rather jaded ones we've had lately.
Lots missing from the Chelsea line-up, but unfortunately their reserves are pretty good too. Still, you never know - one of these days.................

Come on the Albion!

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Brighton v Chelsea Reserves! This will probably be our best chance to nick something against one of the top 6 at home.
But I still don’t realistically expect anything for us.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Any points gained today must be considered a bonus

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It’s difficult not to be hopeful after reading about Chelsea’s injury and suspension issues, but it is slightly tempered by our appalling display at WBA. Perhaps we just met West Brom on the crest of a wave which made us look rubbish.

Anyway fingers crossed for something out of today, I’d take the draw if offered now!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Will be interesting to see what the atmosphere will be like today with a full stadium compared to the excellent effort v Palace in the cup , iv'e rid my pockets of loose change in preparation of the bounce around :bounce: Get stuck in .

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Half and half scarfs now on sale outside Brighton station.. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I think we’re going to need 3-4 points from our four home games against the big boys. Whilst the Arsenal and Man U games are,I feel,eminently more winnable,Chelsea’s injury problems give us more than the 0.1% chance we’d have had.
More like 4/1 the draw in my mind.
Don’t give up any corners in the 90 minutes and we might just grab a 1-1. Which would be an excellent confidence boost going into the Stains game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here