Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leo Ulloa [IS BACK]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We haven't, but thats not what i said, i said if we use him out wide, which is a role he has played many times in his career.
Well if he was used out wide, then yes, I guess he'd have to do his share of defending. But we've been desperate for a striker for some time, and given his goal-scoring record, and the number of wingers we already have, it seems pretty clear he's been brought in to be a striker.

What are you saying Hughton has previous for?

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Well if he was used out wide, then yes, I guess he'd have to do his share of defending. But we've been desperate for a striker for some time, and given his goal-scoring record, and the number of wingers we already have, it seems pretty clear he's been brought in to be a striker.

What are you saying Hughton has previous for?

For not playing players because they dont put a shift in defensively, or are not good enough defensively.

This only comes into play if we play him out wide, yes we have, plenty of options out wide but we also now have 5 strikers and play with one up top, so i wish i shared your confidence that he will be used as a striker but i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he isn't.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I didn’t join in the clamour to bring Ulloa back but now he is back I look forward to seeing him in the stripes again. Better Ulloa than nobody else and possibly better than some we could have signed. You know what you are getting and he’ll be at home from the off. We need to score goals and get points in the next few games, so what’s not to like about having another option?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Unfortunately we will now find out why Leo didn't play much for Leicester.

If we had Leicester’s strike force he wouldn’t get a game here either. Remember Leicester won the title by scoring on the counter attack in low scoring games where they had about 25% possession. Harsh to hit Ulloa with the “not good enough” stick if you consider that? The Leicester forwards know where the goal is and are players coveted by much bigger teams too, we don’t even have one.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We're short on Premier League experience.
Playing one up front, we have Murray who is reliable in front of goal and Hemed who can battle defenders for 90 minutes. From what I remember of Ulloa. he can do both.
Murray and Hemed are both better with a striking partner, we bought Ulloa to play in Poyet's system as a single striker between two wingers. He was very good at it.
He may be similar to what we have, but if we are looking for extra strikers, he is known quantity to us and we are a known quantity to him. Little risk of him not settling.
He scored quite a few important goals from the bench for Leicester.* I'm sure one or two of us remember his knack for a vital goal in a pressure game:

*Weirdly, Leicester are very grateful to him for his cool conversion of a pressure penalty to get a point from West Ham towards the end of their title winning season. He must have converted a few penalties for us, but we only remember him taking the one.

Lualua played a big part in the goal. Leo is not FA Cup-tied.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Unfortunately we will now find out why Leo didn't play much for Leicester.

Unless people have been living in a shoe, we know why Leo didn't play much for Leicester. That is hardly difficult to work out. The question really, is whether not being good enough to get in Leicester's team = not good enough to add something to ours.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn’t join in the clamour to bring Ulloa back but now he is back I look forward to seeing him in the stripes again. Better Ulloa than nobody else and possibly better than some we could have signed. You know what you are getting and he’ll be at home from the off. We need to score goals and get points in the next few games, so what’s not to like about having another option?

It is the only way to look at the deal.

Fingers crossed he'll start with a debut one on Wednesday.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Who's that man from Argentina?
Who's that man we all adore?
Leonardo is his name
And he scores a goal a game
And we cant remember what we sang before.

Nice that him and Schelotto are hitting it off, i wonder if Schelotto will ask for his shirt on Wednesday to add to all the other Argentinians hes been collecting.

Tbh im in the meh camp about Leo coming back, im glad he's back, love the guy, but not sure he is what we needed, Murray can do the same job but has been lacking the service. We needed someone with pace that was capable of getting on the end of a long ball or a through ball.

But hey ho, he's here now and i wish him all the best, hopefully by the end of the season all us in the meh camp will be saying we have to get him signed up permanently.

He's an upgrade on Hemed, that's for sure, not meaning to be disrespectful to Tomer.

And we don’t know what we sang before, actually scans

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Is Ulloa the target man we'll be settling with? I.e., no more strikers? If that is the
case and much as I like him - it would worry me - a lot.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

I take a similar view. When any name is being bandied about, my first thought is to believe it as and when I hear any reasonably trustworthy indication that there is some mileage in it. That would be seeing it in the Argus, for example, rather than from one of the daft rumour websites.

But coupled with that is the trust that, if we are interested or, in this case, have actually gone through with the deal, it is because the relevant parts of he club are happy with it all. They would not do it out of desperation or just to please the fans.

No deal is better than the wrong deal, as is sometimes said in another (non-football) context.... and this is not wanting to start any BREXIT arguments.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
We know he will give us his all and we couldn't ask for more, welcome home Leo.

I am happy now that we will survive this season & grow into this Premiership malarkey.

We're going to have a lot more goal celebrations between now & the end of the season than we've had thus far. For sure.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Very happy to see Leo back is the loan with a view to buy and if it is do we have a sell on clause from the origional sale to Leciester will it be like the EU where we pay them and they give some back?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here