Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 'Marko Grujic: [On Loan] Liverpool Midfielder Must Play 14 Games At Cardiff City'

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I confess, the only away game I’ve been to is WBA, but I’ve seen all of our home games and he has looked interested in every performance. But he’s barely been used, so to reiterate my last point, how can we really judge him as a player?

By his performance on the pitch. He's had enough game time for me to come to the conclusion that he wasn't bothered.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Could be from a number of his performances. Huddersfield stands out though as a shocker.

I agree that he had some really poor games for us. I didn't say that he was fantastic and undeserving of any criticism but that he looked promising, got injured, started one more home game (played well), got injured again. Who knows whether he would've ever hit better heights with us had he had a clean bill of health, but frankly, he was highly rated enough for 'Udders to be disappointed that we poached him, and they saw far more of him than we did. Plus CH seemed genuinely disappointed and sad to lose him, so I for one see it as us not being able to get the best out of him in our short spell here, probably due to injury, rather than him being a sub-par footballer.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
So he did..........simply never had a decent chance to prove himself really over a sustained period. It's easier to lob bricks at a loanee I guess, but given a fair crack of the whip I wonder what he would have done.

Did you have the misfortune to go to Huddersfield?

I'm a very positive fan, but he just didn't care. Capable footballer but disinterested for us.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Fairly standard practice these days when you loan someone from the top clubs.

Both Loftus-cheek(Chelsea) and fosu-mensah (man u) can be recalled if they don't get enough game time with us.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
By his performance on the pitch. He's had enough game time for me to come to the conclusion that he wasn't bothered.

He’s amassed less than four full games worth of minutes since joining us (many of which have been across a number of sub appearances worth less than 10 minutes), had 2 pretty serious injuries that have led to his substitution, never played in his best position as the man behind a striker... and yet you’ve seen enough to judge him?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That simply isn’t true. And if you think it is, then you probably weren’t really watching him.

I think disinterested is harsh, but what cannot be denied is, that in limited opportunities, other than a 20 minute cameo vs Liverpool, he was poor.

The most disappointing thing for me is that he never got the chance to play in the no. 10 role, which is supposedly his best position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I agree that he had some really poor games for us. I didn't say that he was fantastic and undeserving of any criticism but that he looked promising, got injured, started one more home game (played well), got injured again. Who knows whether he would've ever hit better heights with us had he had a clean bill of health, but frankly, he was highly rated enough for 'Udders to be disappointed that we poached him, and they saw far more of him than we did. Plus CH seemed genuinely disappointed and sad to lose him, so I for one see it as us not being able to get the best out of him in our short spell here, probably due to injury, rather than him being a sub-par footballer.

You are right, he isn’t a poor footballer. Unfortunately he doesn’t have pace and his presence in the side contributed to our difficulty in leaving our own half. The odd team selection up at Huddersfield was not his fault but watching him and Schelotto trying to make any impact on the wings was a little painful. Might as well have played with 9 men.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think disinterested is harsh, but what cannot be denied is, that in limited opportunities, other than a 20 minute cameo vs Liverpool, he was poor.

The most disappointing thing for me is that he never got the chance to play in the no. 10 role, which is supposedly his best position.

How many players make a big impact when over half of their performances for a club have been a sub appearance that consisted of less than 10 minutes?

Like Beanstalk, I’m not even saying that he played well for us. He clearly didn’t, that 20 minutes against Liverpool aside, but to judge his ability on his stay with us is ludicrous considering just how limited his game time has been and considering the injuries he’s had.

He’s certainly no Akpom who struggled to look like a footballer once in his time here.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He’s amassed less than four full games worth of minutes since joining us (many of which have been across a number of sub appearances worth less than 10 minutes), had 2 pretty serious injuries that have led to his substitution, never played in his best position as the man behind a striker... and yet you’ve seen enough to judge him?

Yes. I think you had to be at that Huddersfield game to appreciate just how much he was sucking up to the Huddersfield players and fans and very clearly not giving a shit about playing for Brighton.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Yes. I think you had to be at that Huddersfield game to appreciate just how much he was sucking up to the Huddersfield players and fans and very clearly not giving a shit about playing for Brighton.

Quite possibly. But then I went to WBA and could say the same about the majority of our first 11...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Quite possibly. But then I went to WBA and could say the same about the majority of our first 11...

If you think that any of the starting 11 at West Brom have shown, as with Izzy Brown, that they've been disinterested in every game they've played in for Brighton and at that game sucked up to the opposition fans then by all means go ahead and name them.

Currently, your defence of Izzy Brown NOT being lazy and disinterested has been that he hasn't got much time, an argument that doesn't refute the claim and that the starting 11 at West Brom had, as a team, a very bad game - also an argument that doesn't disprove what I think of Brown.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
If you think that any of the starting 11 at West Brom have shown, as with Izzy Brown, that they've been disinterested in every game they've played in for Brighton and at that game sucked up to the opposition fans then by all means go ahead and name them.

Currently, your defence of Izzy Brown NOT being lazy and disinterested has been that he hasn't got much time, an argument that doesn't refute the claim and that the starting 11 at West Brom had, as a team, a very bad game - also an argument that doesn't disprove what I think of Brown.

Unfortunately you’re overlooking one key point. You’re using one performance to bash a player and I’m reiterating that it is very easy to judge players based solely on one performance. In no circumstance is one performance enough to judge the ability of a player, let alone a young one, let alone one who’s had his share of injuries and let alone one who has struggled to find any rhythm in terms of minutes.

As I said earlier, I don’t think Brown has been excellent for us. But I think bowing to negative hyperbole isn’t a fair reflection either, because he simply hasn’t played enough to really judge his ability, nor has he been THAT bad in the games I’ve seen him play.

But then again you’ve clearly got very emotional about the Huddersfield game (and made a massive assumption that a loan player would care about us as much as you do), so I don’t expect I’ll be changing your mind as you’ve clearly made it up even with a lack of real evidence to support your argument regarding his ability.

Via a third party, I asked this very specific question of PB - whether we had ever taken a loanee, with a contractual obligation to play them.

He answered that we had not, but that we did have arrangements whereby the % of their wages picked up by the parent club were dependent on them getting game time. Don't play them at all, and WE pick up their full wage bill.

I would have thought that was fair. But I do not believe we would play a loan player simply to avoid paying his wages (unless he came on in the last minute and that counted as an appearance!)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Unfortunately you’re overlooking one key point. You’re using one performance to bash a player and I’m reiterating that it is very easy to judge players based solely on one performance.

I'm certainly not. My opening post made that clear. I said the Hudds game was the nadir and was, in my opinion, symptomatic of his attitude but certainly wasn't the only game where he's been on cruise control.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
How many players make a big impact when over half of their performances for a club have been a sub appearance that consisted of less than 10 minutes?

Like Beanstalk, I’m not even saying that he played well for us. He clearly didn’t, that 20 minutes against Liverpool aside, but to judge his ability on his stay with us is ludicrous considering just how limited his game time has been and considering the injuries he’s had.

He’s certainly no Akpom who struggled to look like a footballer once in his time here.

Yes, I think we are in agreeing.
I remain very much on the fence on him, but have a feeling he will return at some point.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm certainly not. My opening post made that clear. I said the Hudds game was the nadir and was, in my opinion, symptomatic of his attitude but certainly wasn't the only game where he's been on cruise control.

We aren’t going to agree on this. You’ve made your mind up and that’s fair enough. But for me you’re also yet to give any substantial reasoning for why you have such a dislike for him considering the circumstances I’ve outlined. So let’s just call it quits ��

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

To you perhaps . I guess when Glenn Murray hugged and chatted to Palace players in both games recently and went out of his way to clap Palace fans you felt likewise. .

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Nearly every single player had an absolute stinker at Huddersfield, picking out Brown as having a crap match is a bit rich I reckon

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
To you perhaps . I guess when Glenn Murray hugged and chatted to Palace players in both games recently and went out of his way to clap Palace fans you felt likewise. .

There's a huge difference in the Brown and Murray scenarios in the fact that Murray made a palpable effort in both the games for Brighton. My comment was that the MOST effort that Brown made was in clapping the Hudds players and fans so you are not comparing like with like,

Nice attempt at trying to twist what I wrote though and coming to the conclusion you want to rather than what happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here