Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Minutes Applause for Regis.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Is it me or is anyone else asking why??

He was just a footballer wasn't he? or did I miss something.

Not sure I've done a minutes applause for all the other Players who died in the last year.

What's different??

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think if you have to ask you didn't realise the impact he had back in the day.

Or maybe you were not around then?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

Not sure I've done a minutes applause for all the other Players who died in the last year.

What's different??

Trying to be funny?

Idiot

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He was a pioneer for black footballers in this country.

But I am not a fan of minutes applauses for every bloody thing that happens. He's not an ex-Albion legend, so I hope we don't bother. If we do though, I'll duly do my seal impression for 60 seconds along with everyone else I suppose.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
I think if you have to ask you didn't realise the impact he had back in the day.

Or maybe you were not around then?

I was around in that period of time, as were 1000's of other footballers, of whom I have not been told by my club we are going to clap this one.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

What's different??

If you cannot see, after all that has been spoken this week, why Cyrille Regis of all former footballers is deserving of a minutes applause then... well, I don't know.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
No thanks. I'll sure he was a nice guy. This isnt planned is it?

Maybe because he's ex chelsea?

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
If you cannot see, after all that has been spoken this week, why Cyrille Regis of all former footballers is deserving of a minutes applause then... well, I don't know.

I have seen loads this week, why is he deserving more than the other players who have died over the years?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
All cameras trained on West Brom's Jay Rodriguez for this one. If he holds his nose he's a dead man.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

But I am not a fan of minutes applauses for every bloody thing that happens. He's not an ex-Albion legend, so I hope we don't bother. If we do though, I'll duly do my seal impression for 60 seconds along with everyone else I suppose.

It is, in a sense, a forced form of observation. Bit like the minutes silence. I'm not overly keen but at a minimum we have someone deserving.

That said, especially for younger fans, a feature in the match programme would be of greater effect. Non-Albion related ? Well, a number of present and former black Albion players would see it as very relevant.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

Why will you be singing 'Kiss from a Rose', peculiar?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Imo he was a pioneer for black and mixed race footballers, paving the way for people like Chris Hughton and Liam Rosenior, and the black players we have now.

It isn't sanctioned by the Prem or the EFL, although the EFL has made a statement.
https://twitter.com/EFL/status/954338433308217344

[tweet]954338433308217344[/tweet]

Obviously his old teams like Orient & West Brom are going to have tributes but a minutes applause in the 9th minute isn't going to hurt anyone, is it?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

What's different??

Really?!! You will have heard of google? Try googling his name. That might help.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Imo he was a pioneer for black and mixed race footballers, paving the way for people like Chris Hughton and Liam Rosenior, and the black players we have now.

Exactly. And it was Cyrille and the other two members of the "Three Degrees" and their resolute determination to continue playing on through abuse, death threats, monkey chants and having bananas thrown at them that means today players of colour no longer get that kind of abuse from football fans (although the players still manage to revert to neanderthal ways and racially abuse fellow players from time to time)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here