Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Minutes Applause for Regis.

Goberpiles

Feb 25, 2017
The round of applause for Cyrille Regis was a wonderful moment to watch, where all showed their respect for a great ambassador to our game.

At the end of the applause the camera at the stadium panned on Houghton and you could see him say "WOW", the applause was brilliant and the Chelsea stands started it early which made it longer then a minute, brought a tear to my eye for sure.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I still remember as a callow boy of 13 in the mid 1970s seeing Banana's thrown on the pitch and monkey chants. I still remember people frothing at the mouth that a black player was on the pitch. Hard to believe those times ever existed but they did and Regis had to ply his trade in those conditions. I cannot personally think of a player who has died who deserves a minutes applause more
I found it hard to believe then let alone now, we owed him that at least.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I fully accept what he did for football but I am not in favour of this for any player and it now seems as if they are looking for an excuse to have a minutes applause.

What happened to a round of applause for one of our own who served us well Steve Piper?

Seems you’v answered your own question

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont agree with them for anybody but if it is the wish to do it should have been done for Steve Piper as you sad an oversight by the club. Personally I know which one brought most to me.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I fully accept what he did for football but I am not in favour of this for any player and it now seems as if they are looking for an excuse to have a minutes applause.

:ffsparr: Are you adding racism to your panoply of talents........

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
:ffsparr: Are you adding racism to your panoply of talents........

Where does that come from? Nothing of the sort :for me as a Brighton fan Steve Piper did more than Cyrille Regis as a WBA player based purely on my enjoyment nothing to do whatsoever with anything other than the enjoyment he gave me as a young man. Some people try to make up something that isnt there because it suits their agenda. As I said all along I dont think it should be done for anybody

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I dont agree with them for anybody but if it is the wish to do it should have been done for Steve Piper as you sad an oversight by the club. Personally I know which one brought most to me.

Yes - because it's all about you.

Meanwhile, the fact that you choose to actively overlook - as if they didn't matter - the efforts of Cyrille Regis, and the great benefits they have brought to society as a whole, says so much about you...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes - because it's all about you.

Meanwhile, the fact that you choose to actively overlook - as if they didn't matter - the efforts of Cyrille Regis, and the great benefits they have brought to society as a whole, says so much about you...

You are a great one to talk about it all being about you!!

I am talking as a staunch fan and I do believe the club should have done the same for Steve Piper if it was their wish to do it for anybody. The good point was that it was done before the game not at some given time during the game to detract from the actual game.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Where does that come from? Nothing of the sort :for me as a Brighton fan Steve Piper did more than Cyrille Regis as a WBA player based purely on my enjoyment nothing to do whatsoever with anything other than the enjoyment he gave me as a young man. Some people try to make up something that isnt there because it suits their agenda. As I said all along I dont think it should be done for anybody

Where does that come from? Steve Piper may have done a lot for your enjoyment of football. Fair enough. But the colour if his skin was ........white.

Cyrille Regus was being applauded on Saturday BECAUSE he was black. He suffered a great deal of abuse BECAUSE he was black. He pit up with it and help change opinions. Try talking to our own Mr Hugh ton about it, who was a contemporary of his about his role and his stature in the game as someone who made subsequent life (eventually) easier for other black players. Read Liam Rosenior''s article in the Guardian last Friday about it.

Others on here have said he wasn't the first. Fair enough. But if you still don't get the significance if what he and others did, just shut up and stop digging yourself in to an ever bigger hole.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Where does that come from? Steve Piper may have done a lot for your enjoyment of football. Fair enough. But the colour if his skin was ........white.

Cyrille Regus was being applauded on Saturday BECAUSE he was black. He suffered a great deal of abuse BECAUSE he was black. He pit up with it and help change opinions. Try talking to our own Mr Hugh ton about it, who was a contemporary of his about his role and his stature in the game as someone who made subsequent life (eventually) easier for other black players. Read Liam Rosenior''s article in the Guardian last Friday about it.

Others on here have said he wasn't the first. Fair enough. But if you still don't get the significance if what he and others did, just shut up and stop digging yourself in to an ever bigger hole.

This. Ostensibly had f-all to do with being a Brighton fan, but given the people we have in our set up in senior roles (CH, Liam, Hope Powell for starters) it had added significance. You’d think anyone who followed football in the 70s and 80s would be a bit more in tune.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You are a great one to talk about it all being about you!!

I am talking as a staunch fan and I do believe the club should have done the same for Steve Piper if it was their wish to do it for anybody. The good point was that it was done before the game not at some given time during the game to detract from the actual game.

They are two separate reasons and should be discussed as such.

I clearly remember (although very young) a banana being chucked from the West Stand at the Goldstone. It was pre match towards a black player who was suited and out on the pitch for some reason.

Regis wasn't a hero of mine. I can barely remember him playing, but all football owes that generation a huge thanks.

A number of black footballers have said over the last few days that players like Regis went through that shit so they didn't have to.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
To be fair they could have mentioned Steve Piper as well, so the minutes applause could have been for both players for different reasons.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here