Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Minutes Applause for Regis.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I still remember as a callow boy of 13 in the mid 1970s seeing Banana's thrown on the pitch and monkey chants. Hard to believe those time ever existed but they did and Regis had to ply his trade in those conditions. I cannot personally think of a player who has died who deserves a minutes applause more

I remember the North Stand making monkey chants.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
It's the fashion to go over the top when someone dies and maybe exaggerate what they did.When you hear people praising him I get it that
some of them are just repeating the praises of others and don't actually know what he did.

He seemed a nice guy and for sure he was one of the better known players from that era I grew up in. However a minutes silence is over the top. Do it for him and you have to do it for anyone on his level.

In this PC era he is probably getting a minutes silence through pressure because he is black.

**** off. Just **** right off.
You sad, pathetic piece of dirt

Pickles

May 5, 2014
When he came on the scene, it really was a 'watershed' moment, in total hindsight.

I remember vividly bananas being thrown along with monkey chants from The North stand at The Goldstone at opposing black players.

It wasn't just at The Albion, of course, but at a lot of away grounds I went to as a young teenager.

I reckon the chap deserves recognition, it wasn't his choice, but it seemed that he breached the divide that was most definitely there with 'black' players at the time.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Okay, I'll give it a go.

Regis was a footballer in the top flight of the league. A good player.

He was black. There weren't many black players around.

He was given a lot of shit about it. He rode the monkey chants, the bananas, and the threatening posture of so many fans.

He was called up to play for England. Most people get a pat on the back and letters of support. He got a bullet in the post.

He maintained his dignity throughout. He trailblazed a route for black youngsters who looked up to him and thought ''I can do this''.

He died young with the respect of a country- many now deep in thought about his legacy and saying ''Never again should players be allowed to experience this treatment''

I hope this answers your question as to way he may be more deserving than others. It's because most didn't have to get to the top with so much shite being thrown at them. And neither has their courage proved such a turning point in cultural attitudes.

Been reading this thread, sometimes stopping to try and get my head around some of the stuff that has been posted. If people cannot understand why there is a minutes applause tomorrow, then they should crawl back under their stones for all the reasons posted above. Can't think of many more deserving players. Thanks BL, very well put.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
I Definiteley will be giving him a clap its very little to give.After the amount of abuse he and others have had.when our England team plays in Eastern Europe NOW they get the same type of abuse which most of us think is a disgrace so surely its worth a clap if not for them as well.personally i ve had some nasty comments when i ve been playing when my coach was sponging my leg from a nasty tackle being told by an oppostion player that the colour won t come off and that wasnt that long ago.i know how i felt so getting that week in and week out without jacking it in deserves 60 seconds.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Is it me or is anyone else asking why??

He was just a footballer wasn't he? or did I miss something.

Not sure I've done a minutes applause for all the other Players who died in the last year.

What's different??

Our of interest, what age are you? I don't ask this in a derogatory manner, I'm just interested to know if you were around when Cyril Regis played and the issues he and others had to deal with.

Last edited:

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I still remember as a callow boy of 13 in the mid 1970s seeing Banana's thrown on the pitch and monkey chants. I still remember people frothing at the mouth that a black player was on the pitch. Hard to believe those times ever existed but they did and Regis had to ply his trade in those conditions. I cannot personally think of a player who has died who deserves a minutes applause more

Well said. Totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I still remember as a callow boy of 13 in the mid 1970s seeing Banana's thrown on the pitch and monkey chants. I still remember people frothing at the mouth that a black player was on the pitch. Hard to believe those times ever existed but they did and Regis had to ply his trade in those conditions. I cannot personally think of a player who has died who deserves a minutes applause more

Bravo sir. Some really idiotic, classless posts on this thread. This is the perfect riposte.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not a fan of the new trend for applause rather than a minutes silence which I think is more dignified. Unfortunately due to the fact some don't observe the silence the applause drowns them out. That said, maybe a rendition of Nice one Cyril wouldn't go amiss!

Fantastic player who won far fewer caps than he deserved and always carried himself with dignity. A shining example to players of the modern world whatever the colour of their skin.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's the fashion to go over the top when someone dies and maybe exaggerate what they did.When you hear people praising him I get it that
some of them are just repeating the praises of others and don't actually know what he did.

He seemed a nice guy and for sure he was one of the better known players from that era I grew up in. However a minutes silence is over the top. Do it for him and you have to do it for anyone on his level.

In this PC era he is probably getting a minutes silence through pressure because he is black.

It's ok you don't need to worry it's not a minutes silence

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Reading this reminds me that back in the 70's, when I was a teenager I used to happily join in with the chants of 'zigger zagger zigger whoever has a ni****' or 'Oh when the lights are flashing we're going pa*** bashing'. Cringe cringe. Thank God those days are long gone thanks to players like Cyrille.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This thread is a microcosm of our society. OP asks a question which, it transpires is informed by a lack of knowledge. Cue a binfest. I didn't actually read 'political correctness gone mad' but I'm sure its there somewhere. When the facts are explained the accepts the points graciously. Meanwhile a small minority start 'yeah'ing and 'whatabout'ing. Then the OP gets hammered again for the original post. Then the 'yeah' boys start whatabouting again. FFS. People don't read, don't think, don't read, don't think.... Focusing on nothing other than their own tiny lives and their own mainstream experiences. Sad, really.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here