Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Norwich's position on 19th January 2014 under Hughton

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Interesting they were on 23 points on 19th Jan 14. Rest of the season they picked up 10 points and only scored 10 goals, relegated 4 points short.

I recall at the time the Norwich faithful were very critical that he was way too negative

We are going to have to go for it more in some games if we are going to have a fighting chance of staying up. Otherwise history will repeat itself

Need to start this Saturday and as Warren A has said, get in Chelsea's faces

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Good comparison. We can only hope that Hughton has learned.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Yeah we must go for teams throats, no more of this queuing up to get the likes of Salah's autograph by our players, that was heartbreaking to hear at the time.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Interesting they were on 23 points on 19th Jan 14. Rest of the season they picked up 10 points and only scored 10 goals, relegated 4 points short.

I recall at the time the Norwich faithful were very critical that he was way too negative

We are going to have to go for it more in some games if we are going to have a fighting chance of staying up. Otherwise history will repeat itself

For history to really repeat itself, we’d have to sack him before he’s had the chance to complete the job.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
For history to really repeat itself, we’d have to sack him before he’s had the chance to complete the job.

That was with 4 games left. They appointed a radio pundit come youth coach to face, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U. Johnny Cantor are you ready?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Although it might not have been the right decision to sack Chris when Norwich did, I can totally understand why they did.

More and more I see the midfield less likely to attack. The wingers are now 90% defenders. It is going to take some very good management skills to coax an attacking display from the Albion now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Oh ffs knock it off. It's not 'interesting' at all. We are not Brighton and Moan Albion, and our current situation is not yet another reason for you to moan about things you don't like. We may go down, we may well stay up, hopefully with Hughton in charge next season as well as this.
Or should we never have exited from the Hyypia and Burke regime?

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Ricky Van Wolfswinkel has been banging them in for Basel this season, could he be the solution to our goal scoring woes? :whistle:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Oh ffs knock it off. It's not 'interesting' at all. We are not Brighton and Moan Albion, and our current situation is not yet another reason for you to moan about things you don't like. We may go down, we may well stay up, hopefully with Hughton in charge next season as well as this.
Or should we never have exited from the Hyypia and Burke regime?

What’s Hyppia and Burke got to do with it? OP is making perfectly reasonable point that CH tactics are not working not least against top 6, unless by ‘working’ you mean not getting hammered (except Liverpool) but instead defending for 30,40,50,60,70 minutes or however long it takes for the defence to be breached and then just continue with the same approach so we only get beat 2-0. CH can then give some BS about defending well in parts, bad goals conceded, they have quality players, blah, blah, blah. Apart from Man U we have looked like League 1 on a FA Cup day out against top 6, and not much better in most away games against the rest.

But of course we are 16th so why worry? Well, we have effectively only 9 winnable games left; you never know a 1-0 FA Cup type top shock result against top 6 might sneak in but I wouldn’t bet on it. Defending the Alamo is what CH does; it doesn’t work, so let’s just try and do it better.

And we need minimum 4 wins from those games, ideally 5. If anyone can give a heads up as to where they will come from based on current form, please go ahead. Another poster has said (presumably seriously) that would take 10 points right now meaning we hold heads high as sink back into Championship not in 20th place (probably).

I am certainly seeing now what the Norwich fans meant, It is not the negativity per se, but the stubborn refusal to see that it isn’t working. It isn’t moaning, it is not even frustrating, it is merely observational.

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
What’s Hyppia and Burke got to do with it? OP is making perfectly reasonable point that CH tactics are not working not least against top 6, unless by ‘working’ you mean not getting hammered (except Liverpool) but instead defending for 30,40,50,60,70 minutes or however long it takes for the defence to be breached and then just continue with the same approach so we only get beat 2-0. CH can then give some BS about defending well in parts, bad goals conceded, they have quality players, blah, blah, blah. Apart from Man U we have looked like League 1 on a FA Cup day out against top 6, and not much better in most away games against the rest.
But of course we are 16th so why worry? Well, we have effectively only 9 winnable games left; you never know a 1-0 FA Cup type top shock result against top 6 might sneak in but I wouldn’t bet on it. Defending the Alamo is what CH does; it doesn’t work, so let’s just try and do it better.

And we need minimum 4 wins from those games, ideally 5. If anyone can give a heads up as to where they will come from based on current form, please go ahead. Another poster has said (presumably seriously) that would take 10 points right now meaning we hold heads high as sink back into Championship not in 20th place (probably).

I am certainly seeing now what the Norwich fans meant, It is not the negativity per se, but the stubborn refusal to see that it isn’t working. It isn’t moaning, it is not even frustrating, it is merely observational.

spot on bruv

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What’s Hyppia and Burke got to do with it? OP is making perfectly reasonable point that CH tactics are not working not least against top 6, unless by ‘working’ you mean not getting hammered.
It's 'Hyypia, not 'Hyppia' - and I never said whether things are 'working' or not. At the end of the day a moan is a moan is a moan, and 'Hughton out' suggestions, however thinly veiled, are not helpful. Many of us have questioned some aspects of CH's tactics, but the suggestion that Norwich were right to sack him (that went well, didn't it?) so therefore we should is a very different matter.
Do you want Hughton sacked? Seriously? No? - well, don't jump on the moaners' bandwagon then.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
CH doesn't have much choice, we either play compact and look to take advantage of the few chances we are likely to get or press forward and leave ourselves exposed whilst hoping the opposition don't score.

We don't have the squad to play 4-4-2 in this league we simply aren't good enough at the moment, in 2 or 3 years it will be different.

It's often a sign that either someone is a JCL or they don't understand football to think that 11 vs 11 means the most attacking side will win. We would get destroyed most games if we tried to out score our opposition, our only real option is to out defend them and hope we can capitalise on our chances

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It may be a bit negative but it’s an interesting comparison. I expect TB will hold his nerve, even if we end up in the same situation four games from season’s end. From memory Sunderland under Gus and Palace last season managed to escape with a similar run in.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It may be a bit negative but it’s an interesting comparison. I expect TB will hold his nerve, even if we end up in the same situation four games from season’s end. From memory Sunderland under Gus and Palace last season managed to escape with a similar run in.

I seem to remember we were in a pretty grim position four games before the end of the 2014-15 season too. Good job we didn't do a Norwich then, eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here