Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Norwich's position on 19th January 2014 under Hughton

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It’s actually Hyypiä but let’s try not to trivialise over spelling.

Criticism, doubt. comment are not moaning. I am not a bandwagonner. For what it’s worth I think we should keep CH if relegated, he has proved to be a top Championship manager.

Norwich were probably wrong to sack him; but does that mean no-one can question anything he does without being dubbed a moaner or a CH outer?

Are you content with performances against top 6 so far? It could change of course, but what is your view on those games to date?

You rather missed the point of my first post, before embarking on your attack on it. Many of us have been critical of some aspects of CH's tactics (I said as much in my second post, but you seem to have missed that). Criticism and debate is one thing; what is not required is for this board to become a festering bed of 'Hughton out' calls, which is what the OP was hinting at or edging towards.
Glad you now agree with me on the correct spelling oh Hyypia though! :thumbsup:

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
You rather missed the point of my first post, before embarking on your attack on it. Many of us have been critical of some aspects of CH's tactics (I said as much in my second post, but you seem to have missed that). Criticism and debate is one thing; what is not required is for this board to become a festering bed of 'Hughton out' calls, which is what the OP was hinting at or edging towards.

He didn't spell it wrong did he. I suggest you South Western apes continue to drag your knuckles around the Gloucester area.:guns:

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
We were warned by Norwich fans what to expect from CH. Nice and popular guy, not confrontational or outspoken, but we were warned. Another debacle from CH and his PL dreams will end and wil be considered a Neil Warnock character of getting teams to the the PL but not to stay. I truly hope we are wrong, but I can not really see any change in his strategy this Saturday. WBA was about the easiest game we had to play and failed in all areas off and on the pitch, reality check required from some on here. Expect no change, because he can't.

Which part?

These parts.

We were warned by Norwich fans what to expect from CH. Nice and popular guy, not confrontational or outspoken, but we were warned. Another debacle from CH and his PL dreams will end and wil be considered a Neil Warnock character of getting teams to the the PL but not to stay. I truly hope we are wrong, but I can not really see any change in his strategy this Saturday. WBA was about the easiest game we had to play and failed in all areas off and on the pitch, reality check required from some on here. Expect no change, because he can't.

One more 'debacle' will not end our chances of staying up.
Since he's never been relegated from the PL, only you will be comparing him to Neil Warnock.
'Because he can't'. Yeah, ok, except that he's played three different formations the time that he has been here and the last two years sent out to destroy teams at home.

So, yeah, all that.

he isn't popular and a nice guy?
failure to keep us up will not affect his reputation?
West Brom wasn't the easiest game we will have?
he will change the game plan and team strategy against Chelsea and West Ham?

According to your reply you agree with the above

My reply does not endorse any of those suggestions. Just slams your original post as 'pathetic'.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Yeah we must go for teams throats, no more of this queuing up to get the likes of Salah's autograph by our players, that was heartbreaking to hear at the time.

Yes but Kayal was twisting his tackle (scus the pun ) at the time.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
These parts.

One more 'debacle' will not end our chances of staying up.
Since he's never been relegated from the PL, only you will be comparing him to Neil Warnock.
'Because he can't'. Yeah, ok, except that he's played three different formations the time that he has been here and the last two years sent out to destroy teams at home.

So, yeah, all that.

My reply does not endorse any of those suggestions. Just slams your original post as 'pathetic'.

You're answer says nothing and responds to only on element of the question, whilst refering to the future, which none of us can forecast. Would one of those team formations be when we destroyed Bristol City? I love your use of the English language and poetic licence, its opinions thats all.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Excellent post, Scunner. These are an important 4 months for CH. Just like Knockhaert, I can see him developing a reputation as being too good for the championship and not good enough for the premier league. He has a very deliberate approach but it has become very one dimensional, easily read and now more likely to lead to defeat. Also, if you give up on the top 6 it puts massive pressure on non top 6 matches and a disproportionate response to defeat such as at WBA

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Biggest problem for me is with each passing game, the more negative we become. When surely the opposite is what's needed. If we are going to go down, I can accept that. What I can't except is going down, whist on the ropes just covering up. Because your scare of getting hit to hard.

The last home game we won scoring 2 goals and the game before that we drew scoring 2 goals. I do not regard that as negative.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Excellent post, Scunner. These are an important 4 months for CH. Just like Knockhaert, I can see him developing a reputation as being too good for the championship and not good enough for the premier league. He has a very deliberate approach but it has become very one dimensional, easily read and now more likely to lead to defeat. Also, if you give up on the top 6 it puts massive pressure on non top 6 matches and a disproportionate response to defeat such as at WBA

I did not see us give up against Liverpool. Did you ?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Great post... except this...

The current stats are that every single team except Brighton in the premier league this season has got at least a point off of a 'Top Six' team...

So actually, everybody gets points off of a Top 6 team, except Brighton so far.

We have only played one of the top six at home apart from Man City in the first game when we were bedding in. Also we were worth something at Old Trafford where we performed exceedingly well.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

I love the different ways people are dressing up their criticism of our brilliant manager...

"Too negative"
"No Plan B"
"Poor use of substitutes"
"Clueless approach to playing Top 6"

Very familiar with the above thanks to NSC.

"Too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Premier League" is a nice addition.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
We have only played one of the top six at home apart from Man City in the first game when we were bedding in. Also we were worth something at Old Trafford where we performed exceedingly well.

So but what? We’ve played two at home, Liverpool and City, and we deserved no points in either.

United away yes fair enough, but ‘deserving points’ doesn’t keep us up at the end of the season

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I love the different ways people are dressing up their criticism of our brilliant manager...

"Too negative"
"No Plan B"
"Poor use of substitutes"
"Clueless approach to playing Top 6"

Very familiar with the above thanks to NSC.

"Too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Premier League" is a nice addition.

I have not seen them mention one manager who is available and would do a better job. It is easy to criticise.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I have not seen them mention one manager who is available and would do a better job. It is easy to criticise.
I wouldn't encourage them. It is also easy for the miserablists to bandy names about of managers who would supposedly come in and make a difference with the same players...

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

As to correct spelling, Hyypiä has an umlaut on the a.

I reread OP, who fairly harmlessly pointed out similarities with Norwich position. There was no mention of sacking; I certainly didn’t read that it was ‘edging out’ or ‘hinting at’ a sacking for CH. You launched into an attack featuring ‘Brighton and Moan Albion’ which seemed OTT IMO.

No, I didn’t see second post. I am in South America with occasional internet access. Reacted to posts on my post (which appears to have struck a chord with other posters) via the email received from Tapatalk.

Think we are actually on same page. I agree that frustrated moaning is unhelpful, but I consider many on NSC fail to realise that we are in a worse position than 16th would suggest because of the way the fixture list works. We have to take points from the remaining fixtures against top 6, and CH’s tactics leave me with little optimism that we will achieve that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex

I don't want a new manager, just want CH to be less cautious when it's appropriate. Not going 442 at WBA was hugely disappointing. I also don't have any expectations against the top 6 of any points so why not try something different (formation, position changes etc)

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
CH doesn't have much choice, we either play compact and look to take advantage of the few chances we are likely to get or press forward and leave ourselves exposed whilst hoping the opposition don't score.

We don't have the squad to play 4-4-2 in this league we simply aren't good enough at the moment, in 2 or 3 years it will be different.

It's often a sign that either someone is a JCL or they don't understand football to think that 11 vs 11 means the most attacking side will win. We would get destroyed most games if we tried to out score our opposition, our only real option is to out defend them and hope we can capitalise on our chances

I understand the sentiment, but too often we defend a 1-0 defeat. Once we concede, we need to change tack, and bringing on Hemed for Murray doesn't do it for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here