Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jurgen Locadia SIGNED

LVGull

May 13, 2016
https://www.premierleague.com/news/603921

Adrian Clarke assesses five January signings and the impact they may have at their new club.

Jurgen Locadia (Brighton)

A lack of power and penetration in attack has limited Brighton & Hove Albion’s goal threat this season.

Their leading scorer Glenn Murray, with six goals, and Tomer Hemed have each made handy contributions in attack, but neither is a forward who will stretch opposition defences.

It helps to explain why Brighton have scored only 10 goals from inside the box from open play this season.

They need a striker who can run in behind, to create opportunities or score them. Jurgen Locadia looks to be just that type of player.

Running power

Scoring nine league goals for PSV Eindhoven this season, the 24-year-old can play as a lead striker or as a left or right-sided forward.

Locadia’s running power can transform Brighton’s potency inside the final third, especially on the counter-attack.

Surging down the side channels, where he is most most effective on the left, or running on to through-balls down the middle, the Dutchman was a constant threat for PSV.

He had Eredivisie’s second-highest average shots per match this season, with 4.4.

Capable of finishing with either foot, often on the back of a penetrative forward run, it is no surprise Brighton manager Chris Hughton moved for such a player.

Quality crosser

It is not just goals Brighton fans should expect from their club-record signing. Locadia also has a creative side, setting up 23 chances in 15 league appearances this season.

He can also deliver quality crosses from the flanks.

While he has the pace to go down the left and whip crosses across the face of goal with his left foot, Locadia’s strength is to cut in before whipping right-footed crosses into the penalty area.

This could be great news for Murray and Hemed, or for Brighton's right-sided winger Anthony Knockaert, who should be looking to take up positions at the far post.

Need for cutting edge

Only two Premier League sides have created fewer chances than Brighton’s 158 this season, so they needed someone to add a cutting edge.

Recent recruits from Eredivisie have been hit or miss in the Premier League, so there are no guarantees of success, but based on his style of play and recent form Locadia is just the type of player Brighton need.

When’s he expected to be in the line up?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I can't remember his name to be honest. Very fluent in English with a Northern English twang. Bizzare to hear that mixed with Dutch.

I'm not saying he is right - in fact believe me I am praying he is dead wrong. Just relaying what I heard when I listened to the Podcast this afternoon.

My American & Northern accent doesn't draw a lot of attention in my view. Yes, I was a child in Chicago before coming to the south coast of UK.

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
Houghton says this today on the club website - 'Jurgen, who is going to be two or three weeks away from training. '
On Monday this week, he said he hoped he would be training 1 week today..............so has now gone back to 3 weeks from training + full fitness, we will be looking at start of March at this rate.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Houghton says this today on the club website - 'Jurgen, who is going to be two or three weeks away from training. '
On Monday this week, he said he hoped he would be training 1 week today..............so has now gone back to 3 weeks from training + full fitness, we will be looking at start of March at this rate.

I think we’ve learnt that 1 week means 3 ....2/3 means about 5 at best :moo:

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

Just in time to make his mark against the rest of our top six fixtures, they won't know what's hit them!!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think we’ve learnt that 1 week means 3 ....2/3 means about 5 at best :moo:
He's one for the future...
He has a relegation clause in his contract!
:lol: Happy days.

I suppose we've got Ulloa too, but I don't think he's much of an upgrade on what we had. It's like we're wanting to get relegated. If Locadia isn't fully fit for Swansea in 3 weeks, he'll only be available for 5 games against teams outside the top 6. Farcical.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
:lol: Happy days.

I suppose we've got Ulloa too, but I don't think he's much of an upgrade on what we had. It's like we're wanting to get relegated. If Locadia isn't fully fit for Swansea in 3 weeks, he'll only be available for 5 games against teams outside the top 6. Farcical.
Indeed. You couldn't make it up. Hopefully the Masterplan is all in place - we stay up - Jurgen contributes during the run in and turns into a great signing for next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here