Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Would you take England winning the World Cup...But Brighton get relegated

Would you take England winning the World Cup...but Brighton get relegated

• Yes

Votes: 60 24.8%
  • No

Votes: 182 75.2%

• Total voters

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What is it about 150 days until England lose their opening group game. Before that its a certainty that Kane will pull a hamstring or something else putting him out of the world cup.

Anyway Brighton to stay up

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
To clarify, I'm not criticising England, or the English football team. Nor do the performances (good or bad) of the national team have any bearing on my opinion of them. I just don't care.

Just seems bizarre to me. Euro 96 and WC 98 are what got me heavily involved in feeling for a team - the whole country seemed involved and it was magical. Granted, it doesn’t feel the same now but that support was planted there and then.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember going to a WC qualifier on a week night in 1976 or 77 at Wembley. We were still in with a shout of qualifying. Wembley was a dump. We drew in front of a less than half full stadium (30 something thousand). You could pay on the gate. It was like watching non league football, emotionless, flat, crap. I was frankly shocked, having enjoyed Great Britain's world cup win ten years before on the box, all those wonderful union flags flying, ensuring that Scotland Wales and NI could feel part of it all, and forever grateful to be part of the union. :facepalm:

Some on here mock modern football. But England games are now well attended. Judging by all the flags it is a great day out for supporters of small teams, getting the chance to watch some of the players they see on MOTD and Sky. Good luck to them.

Sadly the players are never as up for it as they were in the 60s, when being an Internatial and Winning opened doors - doing telly adverts and earning a bit of money to supplement their, let's face it, relatively shit salaries. Under those circumstances playing for queen and country takes on a resonance. Some of those players did National Service and many would have lost family members in the war. Different times....very different. Those 66 boys would have been very proud. Especially given the opposition (all of it).

These days players are clearly aware that some clown from the thirld world, supplemented by Blatter and chums using their ill gotten gains, could quite easily end their career with a malicious or simply unskilled tackle. You have the media breathing all over you, poking fun at your missus' cellulite, and accusing you of virtual treason if you screw up. The fans of lower league teams become distraught. If I were an England player I would carefully do my best and keep my head down. The chances I would behave like Gazza are slim to none. And let's not forget, Gazza may be patriotic, but he is bat shit mental.

So for me, I'd take 3 points vs Chelsea in place of a WC win. Possibly even one point.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I really hope that’s a ****ing joke...!

The fact is it’s become ‘fashionable’ to slate our country too much. If the majority of real BHA fans on here took the same stance in BHA as they do England we’d have hardly any fans left. Being a fan means you stick by your team. Yes we’re an infuriating side as we are amongst the best in the world at qualifying without question but then we get to the major tournos and look shellshocked and like we play with weights on our legs and are generally shit. I think the media have played a big part in this by trying to scarper the countries chances and putting so much pressure in the players too. There’s obviously always criticism to have with England and international football - too many pointless friendly breaks and a grassroots system nowhere near the development structure of Germany etc but maybe this will soon change with our youth teams recently doing so well.

I’m short, I want England to win every game and BHA to win every games - they’re not exclusive, they should come hand in hand for any football fan imo.

I respect your passion for following England and 20 years ago I lived in such hope too.

Despite the recent youth team successes, our club game has been spoiled by money so much that I have zero expectation to see them translate to a future powerful adult side capable of winning The World Cup.

I would very happily see England succeed, but realistically that just isn't going to happen in my lifetime. Taking that into account, all that matters for me now is Brighton's success.

This is my personal view and is not influenced by popular opinion.

I'll say this, if we win the World Cup in my lifetime (let's say by 2050), remind me of this post and I'll buy you a beer or ten.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What!!?? How can you prefer one more premier season over a World Cup win? Who remembers what Brighton did in the 1966 season? Nobody, without looking it up. England's world cup win will be talked about as long as there are football fans.

Winning a world cup would be the pinnacle of national sporting achievement. It could also go some way to heal some of the divisions within our nation

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Strewth, No !

A billion 'No' s.

Would take an England World Cup win if Palace had to get relegated though [emoji38]ol:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
England all day long

I'd rather Brighton win the fa cup than stay up

Premier league it's all a bit meh

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yes without question.

Relegation is not the end of the world.

England winning the World Cup would mean I could die happy.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I can just about remember 66, it was great at the time, but, believe it for not, Wembley didn't sell out for the final.
For me, it's not that our national team have been pony most of my life, it's FIFA,the FA, the Wembley debacle, and yes, the shame of some of our national 'supporters ' during the 70s and 80s. It's feeling like players don't give a toss, it's Rooney slagging supporters in South Africa cos they dared to boo an awful performance, it's the press always building up the team as world beaters before tournaments, and then,crucifying them when they under achieve.
I loved 90, and 96, the country was so up for it for about 3 weeks, and then reality bit, and we lost the semi finals, but, instead of pushing on, the FA, and the gutterpress, got rid of the managers , and appointed men, quite honestly who were out of their depth, and then a succession of managers, both home grown and foreign, at vast expense, who seemed like they didn't have a clue.

All of the above is why I'm so disillusioned by England.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Absolutely NO. THE players who wear the white of England these days don't give one hoot abut the pride and passion of wearing it. It's all about the money. I wouldn't care if they lost all 3. I'd laugh in fact. Brighton are the only side that matters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The country needs a lift, much as I love the Albion the World Cup would be the ultimate and impossible dream

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here