Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Peter Wyngarde RIP

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
He was also in Comic Strip Presents...The Yob with his face blacked up with boot polish and wearing a Nazi uniform.

Wouldn't surprise me if he supplied his own costume.
Strange chap.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Must be a good excuse to play this?

Apparently Vaugan Toulouse and Mr W had more in common than Department S.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He was also in Dr Who

Timanov.jpg

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
This news is quite spooky. Late last night for whatever reason I found myself wondering if Peter Wyngarde was still alive. A check of wikipedia confirmed that he was still very much alive as the news had obviously not reached the news outlets yet. When I woke up this morning I was told of his death by my wife.

I always had a bit of a fascination for Wyngarde's alter ego Jason King as a child. In my seven year old mind he embodied everything I believed a man should be and what I regarded as the epitome of masculinity. I was obviously a very confused seven year old but I wasn't the only one taken in as thousands of women shared the same misapprehension. All I knew at the time was when I grew up I was determined to be just like him. By the time I reached my teens fashions had obviously changed and I realised that sporting the Jason King look in the era of punk rock, spikey hair and safety pins might look slightly ridulous so I put my plans on hold in the hope that fashion trends would return where I could eventually sport the Jason King look without fear of ridicule. I'm still waiting but I haven't given up all hope.

Wyngarde had quite a traumatic upbringing and when he was in his mid teens during the war he was seperated from his parents and interned in a Japanese internment camp near Shanghai. JG Ballard was a fellow inmate and mentions the young Wyngarde in his autobiography. Allegedly the young Wyngarde was caught running messages to the other prisoners in the camp from a smuggled in radio. The story goes that when he was caught he had both his feet broken by a Japanese soldier and thrown into solitary confinement for several weeks.
In later life in 1975, as another poster mentioned, he was prosecuted for gross indecency. This incident ruined his career. He should not be judged harshly by this incident. He was merely a victim of the attitudes of the time and was doing no worse than what George Michael himself did 20 years later, but in Wyngarde's case the incident happening with a lorry driver instead of an undercover policeman. I suppose it was a combination of society's attitudes to homosexuality combined with the fact that it totally destroyed his image as the ultimate ladies' man, although when I watch old episodes of Jason King now I can't understand how it wasn't immediately obvious to everyone at the time. He didn't exactly go to any lengths to hide it.
Anyway RIP Peter/Jason. I might even temporarily grow a Jason King moustache in tribute.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I might even temporarily grow a Jason King moustache in tribute.

I've had a Bruno beard since Movember and have been thinking of shaving it off. It think it would be a fitting tribute for it to go via a Jason King tache.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I've had a Bruno beard since Movember and have been thinking of shaving it off. It think it would be a fitting tribute for it to go via a Jason King tache.

Definitely, it would be a relatively seamless transition and a look which could be achieved with immediate effect. You never know you might even have a little something in your wardrobe to complete the look.

And lest we forget the Albion had its own Jason King in the manly form of Kit Napier who played for Brighton at the height of King mania between 1966 and 1972. I'm convinced his look was more than a little influenced by Mr King in the hope of achieving the same success with the ladies (or perhaps lorry drivers).

download.jpeg

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
This news is quite spooky. Late last night for whatever reason I found myself wondering if Peter Wyngarde was still alive. A check of wikipedia confirmed that he was still very much alive as the news had obviously not reached the news outlets yet. When I woke up this morning I was told of his death by my wife.

I always had a bit of a fascination for Wyngarde's alter ego Jason King as a child. In my seven year old mind he embodied everything I believed a man should be and what I regarded as the epitome of masculinity. I was obviously a very confused seven year old but I wasn't the only one taken in as thousands of women shared the same misapprehension. All I knew at the time was when I grew up I was determined to be just like him. By the time I reached my teens fashions had obviously changed and I realised that sporting the Jason King look in the era of punk rock, spikey hair and safety pins might look slightly ridulous so I put my plans on hold in the hope that fashion trends would return where I could eventually sport the Jason King look without fear of ridicule. I'm still waiting but I haven't given up all hope.

Wyngarde had quite a traumatic upbringing and when he was in his mid teens during the war he was seperated from his parents and interned in a Japanese internment camp near Shanghai. JG Ballard was a fellow inmate and mentions the young Wyngarde in his autobiography. Allegedly the young Wyngarde was caught running messages to the other prisoners in the camp from a smuggled in radio. The story goes that when he was caught he had both his feet broken by a Japanese soldier and thrown into solitary confinement for several weeks.
In later life in 1975, as another poster mentioned, he was prosecuted for gross indecency. This incident ruined his career. He should not be judged harshly by this incident. He was merely a victim of the attitudes of the time and was doing no worse than what George Michael himself did 20 years later, but in Wyngarde's case the incident happening with a lorry driver instead of an undercover policeman. I suppose it was a combination of society's attitudes to homosexuality combined with the fact that it totally destroyed his image as the ultimate ladies' man, although when I watch old episodes of Jason King now I can't understand how it wasn't immediately obvious to everyone at the time. He didn't exactly go to any lengths to hide it.
Anyway RIP Peter/Jason. I might even temporarily grow a Jason King moustache in tribute.

I had a dream about Paula Yates, she was spinning out of control. The next day was a Sunday so I didn't hear/see any news. I went to the pub that lunchtime and the general conversation was PY had been found dead. I wasn't a fan. Had no interest in her .... spooky?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

He wasnt a victim of "the attitudes of the time" at all , what he, and george michael did , was wrong and they were both rightly prosecuted.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
He wasnt a victim of "the attitudes of the time" at all , what he, and george michael did , was wrong and they were both rightly prosecuted.

Correct. Though I suspect he means one person's career suffered on the back of what happened, and another's didn't.

It may well have been a change in attitudes in those intervening years which made the difference - Wyngarde was considered a dirty old perv; beyond the pale. Michael was considered (by his fans at least) as someone with demons that needed to be addressed etc...

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

But Wyngarde was a victim of the attitudes of the time because his career was ruined as a result of his conviction and the attitudes of the time whereas when George Michael was arrested for essentially the same offence just over 20 years later his career did not suffer as a consequence and rather than being shamed by the incident he jokingly referenced it in one of his videos.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Correct. Though I suspect he means one person's career suffered on the back of what happened, and another's didn't.

It may well have been a change in attitudes in those intervening years which made the difference - Wyngarde was considered a dirty old perv; beyond the pale. Michael was considered (by his fans at least) as someone with demons that needed to be addressed etc...

I don't think releasing a song glorifying rape, the main lyrics being "rape, rape, raaaaape" combined with bad vocal impressions of Japanese people and other nationalities raping women on a tour of how rape is wonderuly carried out across the globe helped his pervy image. Seemed like rather an odd person to me.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
RIP Peter .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here