Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Used Car Advice

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I am currently in the market for a used car. a 63 reg Vauxhall Zafira.

Does anyone have a working knowledge of the used car market?

When can I expect the impact of the new 18 reg models to reduce the price of vehicles on the used car market?

How much negotiation could be expected with a showroom?

Thanks in advance

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
1/3/18 is when the new vehicles will be on the road, most orders will be placed by now so dealers will know which part ex vehicles are coming in. Out of interest, why are you specifically after a Zafira?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I am currently in the market for a used car. a 63 reg Vauxhall Zafira.

Does anyone have a working knowledge of the used car market?

When can I expect the impact of the new 18 reg models to reduce the price of vehicles on the used car market?

How much negotiation could be expected with a showroom?

Thanks in advance

Ignore the showroom, try talking to a salesman.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
1/3/18 is when the new vehicles will be on the road, most orders will be placed by now so dealers will know which part ex vehicles are coming in. Out of interest, why are you specifically after a Zafira?

Our family is expanding, and my wife has a number of friends who own Zafiras who have said how good and convenient a vehicle it is

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Our family is expanding, and my wife has a number of friends who own Zafiras who have said how good and convenient a vehicle it is

Fair enough. I’d always recommend looking around a bit, especially when there are other similar vehicles available which still have manufacturers warranty. Toyota, Nissan and Hyundai offers 5 year warranty and Kia offer 7.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I had a new Zafira as a company car back in about 2000.
I was so impressed, [in another job that only had a car allowance] I bought another one.
Both diesel 2L, second one was the "Elegance" with sun roof, alloys, etc.

Reliable, comfortable [drove to Disney Paris from Telford], economical, cheepish insurance and road tax.

Good choice of car especially if you need 7 seats ....

Bought the second one from a Vauxhall main dealer, no part-ex. I offered about 10% under asking price and was accepted - these dealer-people know what their second-hand [part-ex's] owe them and I think so long as they're getting their money back, they're pleased for the turnover.

Last edited:

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
If you're set on a Zafira, avoid the 1.9cdti diesel like the plague. Many reported problems with timing belts, dual mass flywheels and DPF.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

My experience of Zafira drivers is that they are all nutters who drive their cars like a sports car! Not much help I know but when I see a Zafira, I expect some crazy driving to occur, often involving tailgating until they can make a dangerous overtake. :smile:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My experience of Zafira drivers is that they are all nutters who drive their cars like a sports car! Not much help I know but when I see a Zafira, I expect some crazy driving to occur, often involving tailgating until they can make a dangerous overtake. :smile:

Sometimes referred to as "Racing Dads"; wanted a sports car but couldn't stop breeding.

As for the OP, think about it. Do you need 7 seats ? A pal of mine had one and he was always getting "you've got seven seats, why don't we all go in yours"

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Sometimes referred to as "Racing Dads"; wanted a sports car but couldn't stop breeding.

As for the OP, think about it. Do you need 7 seats ? A pal of mine had one and he was always getting "you've got seven seats, why don't we all go in yours"

Luckily due to work commitments the car will be used mainly by my wife and have all our children's car seats in it. I will still have my own car for commuting to work

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I don't get what sets you on fire about a Vauxhall and/or Zafira?
Was it a burning desire?
Would you go for a fiery red?
Do they blaze a trail?
Are you fired up about your new purchase?
Do they have A/C or do they get flaming hot in the summer?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Get a Toyota Verso, particularly if you're worried about it holding its value.

I imagine we will own it all the time we need that many seats or until it gives up which I guess will be about 15 years old. By then it will be worth so little I won't care

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'd recommend taking a Ford S-Max out for a spin as well as a Verso. When i was looking for a bigger car i tried the Smax and Zafira and although the Zaf was faster the Smax just felt better built and less rattles than the Vauxhall.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here