Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] If Arundel has a cathedral why isn't it a city?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Actually, there is an explanation for this.

Chicken Pox can actually make some humans shit out eggs. Some of the eggs have been known to hatch into chicks, hence where the name Chicken Pox came from.

Is it April 1st yet lol humans shitting chicken eggs marvellous scenes

Wrappo

Feb 2, 2012
Worthing
Mystery not quite solved. It is true Arundel is not a city because the cathedral is Catholic. However Brighton and Hove is and has no cathedral. The changing rules of city status perhaps. Perhaps St Peters or All Saints Hove may be elevated.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Cheddar is Britain's top selling cheese. What's in second place?

5000295141599_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
It is a relatively recent change that meant towns without catherals became cities. Although catherals are not a legal prerequisit for city status historically cities where created as administrative centres and the clergy had a big impact of the populous so the 2 went together.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No it isn’t, it’s a city. (I live very nearby).

true, but only granted that status a few year ago. it apparently long assumed it was a city without recognition.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
My in laws lived in Prestatyn and St Asaph then was always known as the smallest city in Britain. It kept changing with the tides one time it was a city then it wasn't.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

This is what Wiki says!

As the seat of an ancient cathedral and diocese, St Asaph was historically regarded as a city, and the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica refers to it as a city on that basis; by the end of the 20th century the relationship between possessing a cathedral and automatic entitlement to city status had been broken, and the town was no longer regarded as a city. The town applied for restoration of city status in competitions held by the British government in 2000 (for the Millennium) and 2002 (Queen's Golden Jubilee) but was unsuccessful. In 2012 it again competed for city status during the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations. It was announced on 14 March 2012 that the application was successful, and city status was to be bestowed upon St Asaph alongside Chelmsford and Perth.[5][6] The status was formally granted by letters patent dated 1 June 2012.[7]

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
cathedral definition. A Christian church building in which a bishop has his official seat (cathedra is Latin for “chair”). A cathedral is usually large and imposing, and many cathedrals are important in the history of architecture.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Reminds me of the old quiz question, Brechin City. Not a city at all.

Strange though about Catholic cathedrals. I thought all cathedrals were Catholic. After all the word has the same root, beginning CATH. Looks like I’m mistaken though.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Strange though about Catholic cathedrals. I thought all cathedrals were Catholic. After all the word has the same root, beginning CATH. Looks like I’m mistaken though.
If you are specifying inclusion of everything, then catholic with a small c. Catholic with an upper case c is specific to the church.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

It goes back to Tudor times. Henry VIII broke away from Rome, & dissolved a lot of monasteries. His daughter Mary, brought back Roman Catholicism & persecuted Protestants.
Then Edward & his half sister Elizabeth changed it back to Protestant again.
The Duke of Norfolk is a Howard as was Ann Boleyn (Elizabeth's Mother) so that family was saved from the Catholic purge.
The Dukes of Norfolk remains the Premier Duke (apart from the Royal Dukes) to this day.
It is part of his duty to arrange Royal ceremonials such as Coronations, and Royal funerals.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

The words don't have the same root. As Blackadder points out, Cathedral comes from Latin for chair, while catholic comes from a Greek word, katholikos, meaning universal

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here