Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Your best ever acting performance in a film

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Another for Nicholson in Cuckoos Nest.
Other great performances:

Brendan Gleeson, Ralp Fiennes and Colin Farrell in In Bruges. All perfect.
Oscar Isaac in Ex Machina
Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke
Mads Mikkelson in The Hunt. An astonishing turn in a film about a man accused of child molestation.
Gary Oldman in Tinker Tailor
Colin Firth in The Railway Man. Such a heartbreaking film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Notable mentions:
Peter Finch, Network
Holly Hunter, The Piano
Charlize Theron, Monster
Gene Hackman, The Conversation (actually, pretty much anything)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Best drama performance: Jack Nicholson in "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"

Best comedy performance: Wilfrid Zaha in "I Fell Over Lukaku's Chest"

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Tom Hardy in Locke.
Hardy can be a bit meh is some films and excellent in others. In Locke he goes beyond excellent. It literally left me stunned.

Guy Pearce in Memento.

John Candy in Planes Trains and Automobiles.

Holly Hunter in Raising Arizona.

Eric Bana in Chopper.

Vincent Cassel in Mesrine.

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I understand the votes for Jack Nicholson, but I'd like to throw in a different candidate - A Few Good Men.

A film packed with incredible writing (Aaron Sorkin is a genius) and acting from a superb cast (Tom Cruise, Kevin Bacon, Demi Moore...) but absolutely outclassed by the incredible Jack Nicholson. He plays that character with depth, rage, poise, purpose and sheer class.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Also Kubrick entrusted him to AI. His baby. Can't see him saying this. Got any proof ?

If you didn’t realise that Kubrick could criticise and exults within 5 minutes you haven’t followed his career then. Plenty of criticism from within the Jewish community elsewhere on Spielberg’s film not less than from Imre Kertesz the writer and poet who was a death camp survivor himself who ripped the film to shreds as well. His criticism is pretty much as I stated that Spielberg concentrates on the two characters and portrays Goeth as he does so we just accept his evil and stop wondering.
It fails because it doesn’t address other issues. It’s not a film about the holocaust but if you thought it was a great stand alone piece than fair enough I suppose.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
David Niven in a Matter of Life & Death. If you can leave the opening scene when he is about to jump from his Lancaster without a parachute having spoken to Kim Hunter playing a Ground Control Operative dry eyed you are a strange person.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If you didn’t realise that Kubrick could criticise and exults within 5 minutes you haven’t followed his career then. Plenty of criticism from within the Jewish community elsewhere on Spielberg’s film not less than from Imre Kertesz the writer and poet who was a death camp survivor himself who ripped the film to shreds as well. His criticism is pretty much as I stated that Spielberg concentrates on the two characters and portrays Goeth as he does so we just accept his evil and stop wondering.
It fails because it doesn’t address other issues. It’s not a film about the holocaust but if you thought it was a great stand alone piece than fair enough I suppose.

Ah well I stand by your knowledge. Seems the film was shit. Sad about this

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Also Kubrick entrusted him to AI. His baby. Can't see him saying this. Got any proof ?

I put ‘ Kubricks criticism of Schindler’s list’ into Google just now and got this.

In 1980, he told the author Michael Herr that what he wanted most was to make a film about the Holocaust, “but good luck in putting all that into a two-hour movie.” Frederic Raphael, who co-authored the screenplay for “Eyes Wide Shut,” recalls Kubrick questioning whether a film truly can represent the Holocaust in its entirety. After Raphael suggested “Schindler’s List,” Kubrick replied, “Think that’s about the Holocaust? That was about success, wasn’t it? The Holocaust is about 6 million people who get killed. ‘Schindler’s List’ is about 600 who don’t.
Maybe Raphael made it up.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here