Hove
Leo - Wolf of Wall Street

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Tom hanks - saving private Ryan

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I rewatched Lambs recently, and while Lecter is obviously the star turn & scene-chewer I reckon Jodie Foster does a much better acting job. Starling is a really interesting mixture of overachieving drive with an undercurrent of self-doubt. Her backstory (father's death, the crying of the lambs) is clearly both what defines her current career and dedication, and because she's responding in this way she's been ujabel to fully process it; hence Hannibal getting to her when they are sharing information. She plays it wonderfully. Hopkins is also fantastic, but acting the one-dimensional (genious) psychopath. I agree with [MENTION=28104]DavidRyder[/MENTION] that he's better in The Bounty, for one.

Best in recent years to spring to mind is Casey Affleck in Manchester by the Sea.

Totally agree on both points, and I'd also include Natalie Portman as Jackie last year (although I didn't like the film itself all that much). In relation to the first point, I thought Mads Mikkelson produced a phenomenal TV performance as Lector.

For me, a shout to Jean Reno in Leon El Professional as well. Although all three main performances were stunning (Gary Oldman and Natalie Portman).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The only really crap film I’ve seen Russel Crowe star in has been Noah. Are there others? Tend to really like films he is in. Gladiator, A Good Year (love that film), 3:10 to Yuma and Master and Commander as standouts for me.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Tom Hardy in Locke.
Hardy can be a bit meh is some films and excellent in others. In Locke he goes beyond excellent. It literally left me stunned.

Guy Pearce in Memento.

John Candy in Planes Trains and Automobiles.

Holly Hunter in Raising Arizona.

Eric Bana in Chopper.

Vincent Cassel in Mesrine.

I thought Hardy was incredible in The Drop as well. Waltz cornered the market in recent years in the ‘Hamming it up’ stakes but to underplay like Hardy did and still hold that screen presence was top notch.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
14 pages and how many women have been nominated... ?

A few at most... surely there are more incredible performances from women not being mentioned. ?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Rutger Hauer in 'Blade Runner'.
Peter Sellers in 'Being There'
David Bowie in 'The Man Who Fell to Earth'

Last edited:

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Another vote for Robin Williams and the whole cast of The Fisher King, a film by Terry Gilliam. Williams got a golden globe and there were lots of other awards but its largely forgotten. Brilliant film.

I still like the end of First Blood when Stallone breaks down talking to his old colonel. I thought it was quite moving.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I rewatched Lambs recently, and while Lecter is obviously the star turn & scene-chewer I reckon Jodie Foster does a much better acting job. Starling is a really interesting mixture of overachieving drive with an undercurrent of self-doubt. Her backstory (father's death, the crying of the lambs) is clearly both what defines her current career and dedication, and because she's responding in this way she's been ujabel to fully process it; hence Hannibal getting to her when they are sharing information. She plays it wonderfully. Hopkins is also fantastic, but acting the one-dimensional (genious) psychopath. I agree with [MENTION=28104]DavidRyder[/MENTION] that he's better in The Bounty, for one.

Best in recent years to spring to mind is Casey Affleck in Manchester by the Sea.
she is one of my all time faves. Was it back to back oscars for her with The Accused ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He's outstanding in that great film. "I want you to hold it between your knees". Lovely stuff.

The times I,ve wanted to re-enact that scene when you meet a jobsworth in a bar or restaurant after a bad day. I got close in the Pull and Pump pub in Brighton when this snotty barmaid wouldn’t serve me a pint of Leffe because, “ don’t you know it’s 6% “.

“Well give me 2 halves then so as I don’t need to come back to the bar in 3 minutes”

F..uck me you can guess where that ended up can’t you.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Bruce Willis die hard

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here