Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do the club 'get it' ?

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Absolutely my favorite loss at the Amex. I've not really thought where it ranks in all games but it was bloody marvelous.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Coor we are a miserable lot at the moment aren't we

I think it's pretty clear it's you who doesn't 'get it'.

You appear to be basing the best Amex experiences only on victories. Football is far more than just the result.

As has been said on the thread several times, the atmosphere, in the face of a fair bit of adversity, was something to behold. The vast majority of us left the stadium that day with fire in our bellies, and our heads held high. If you can't 'get' that, I'm wondering why you started the thread.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

You appear to be basing the best Amex experiences only on victories. Football is far more than just the result.

As has been said on the thread several times, the atmosphere, in the face of a fair bit of adversity, was something to behold. The vast majority of us left the stadium that day with fire in our bellies, and our heads held high. If you can't 'get' that, I'm wondering why you started the thread.

Yes sorry. I don't like it when my team lose as I am a supporter, rather than a fan there for the pantomime of a game. That is why my favourite games are ones we get a result from. Burnley was memorable but definitely not a favourite. Anyway was only a light hearted thread as obviously I did not realise so many peoples favourite games were ones we lost !

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes sorry. I don't like it when my team lose as I am a supporter, rather than a fan there for the pantomime of a game. That is why my favourite games are ones we get a result from. Burnley was memorable but definitely not a favourite. Anyway was only a light hearted thread as obviously I did not realise so many peoples favourite games were ones we lost !

Like I said - you're only basing it on the result.

We could get that just from watching TV.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Favourite is subjective anyway. The 30 minutes that Vicente spent torturing Pompey (#twats) will remain my favourite football CAMEO ever but it doesn't make the game home close to Wigan, Doncaster, last season's Sheffield Weds game or the St Pats Massacre. In fact I can't split those 4 as my favourite and, yes, we won them all so I get what the OP is saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Favourite is subjective anyway. The 30 minutes that Vicente spent torturing Pompey (#twats) will remain my favourite football CAMEO ever but it doesn't make the game home close to Wigan, Doncaster, last season's Sheffield Weds game or the St Pats Massacre. In fact I can't split those 4 as my favourite and, yes, we won them all so I get what the OP is saying.

What about the Southampton game when it was doom and gloom because we had loads of injuries. League debut for JFC (I think?) Steve Cooks last game and again rare camo. El-Abd getting Rickie Lambert sent off, which turned out to be his only red card of his career. I bloody loved that game. Was also a new year bank holiday so decent amount of beers before and after!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/16331516

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Ref Pawson v Burnley with only 9 men of ours on the pitch, isn't this how Burnley managed and hung on for their 2-3 win At Stamford Bridge first PL game this season?

All sounds too familiar, Pawson's background needs looking at!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Actually, therein lies another point.

I doubt it was your favourite game; the game was shite and we nearly let Wigan back in. I'd suggest to you it wasn't one of your favourite games, but it was almost certainly, one of your favourite Amex experiences, and by rote, your all-time favourite hangover creator.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent

Yeah the Wednesday game last season was a great mix of a mental atmosphere and giving stick to ref/opposition but with a win thrown in too

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What about the Southampton game when it was doom and gloom because we had loads of injuries. League debut for JFC (I think?) Steve Cooks last game and again rare camo. El-Abd getting Rickie Lambert sent off, which turned out to be his only red card of his career. I bloody loved that game. Was also a new year bank holiday so decent amount of beers before and after!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/16331516

I'll have to take your word for it as it's one of the very few I've missed. My attendance record over Xmas hols is normally shocking due to family visits, hanging out of my backside or both.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Actually, therein lies another point.

I doubt it was your favourite game; the game was shite and we nearly let Wigan back in. I'd suggest to you it wasn't one of your favourite games, but it was almost certainly, one of your favourite Amex experiences, and by rote, your all-time favourite hangover creator.

Yes, fair enough point, though the celebration when we scored was nearly as big as the one at the end in our bit of the WSU.

For favourite GAMES I also give you the one where we were 4-0 up against Leeds at half time.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

You're still missing the point. I hate losing too but that game was so out of the ordinary that the result was almost an afterthought given the way we played and the injustice of the 2nd sending off. We played 80 minutes with 9 men and nearly nicked a draw.

I'm assuming you were at the game. Did you not appreciate the atmosphere?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
For me, performance wise, has to be 5-0 vs Norwich. Atmosphere/experience wise, Wigan promotion game shortly followed by Doncaster

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You're absolutely correct of course - a match, indeed a day out at the football, can be about so much more than the final result. However, do you genuinely believe there will be supporters who choose that game as their favourite League game of the Amex era to date over all of:

6/8/11 Brighton 2 - 1 Doncaster
2/1/12 Brighton 3 - 0 Southampton
10/3/12 Brighton 2 - 0 Portsmouth
25/8/12 Brighton 5 - 1 Barnsley
17/3/13 Brighton 3 - 0 Palace
20/4/13 Brighton 6 - 1 Blackpool
21/2/15 Brighton 4 - 3 Birmingham
5/12/15 Brighton 3 - 2 Charlton
29/2/16 Brighton 4 - 0 Leeds
15/4/16 Brighton 5 - 0 Fulham
19/4/16 Brighton 4 - 0 QPR
29/10/16 Brighton 5 - 0 Norwich
20/1/17 Brighton 2 - 1 Sheff Wed
10/3/17 Brighton 3 - 0 Derby
17/4/17 Brighton 2 - 1 Wigan
12/8/17 Brighton 0 - 2 Man City
9/9/17 Brighton 3 - 1 West Brom
24/9/17 Brighton 1 - 0 Newcastle

el punal

After the 2nd red, that was without a doubt the most POISONOUS atmosphere at the Amex I have experienced. The sheer bile and abuse that was raining down from the stands on the ref was something to behold.

Fantastic.

Perhaps poisonous is the wrong description as that would best describe the game against Millwall in the last days of Hyypia in December 2014. For the Burnley game any of the following : United, Compelling, Steadfast, Resolute, Courageous, Never Say Die, Extraordinary, perhaps all of them and more.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You're absolutely correct of course - a match, indeed a day out at the football, can be about so much more than the final result. However, do you genuinely believe there will be supporters who choose that game as their favourite League game of the Amex era to date over all of:

6/8/11 Brighton 2 - 1 Doncaster
2/1/12 Brighton 3 - 0 Southampton
10/3/12 Brighton 2 - 0 Portsmouth
25/8/12 Brighton 5 - 1 Barnsley
17/3/13 Brighton 3 - 0 Palace
20/4/13 Brighton 6 - 1 Blackpool
21/2/15 Brighton 4 - 3 Birmingham
5/12/15 Brighton 3 - 2 Charlton
29/2/16 Brighton 4 - 0 Leeds
15/4/16 Brighton 5 - 0 Fulham
19/4/16 Brighton 4 - 0 QPR
29/10/16 Brighton 5 - 0 Norwich
20/1/17 Brighton 2 - 1 Sheff Wed
10/3/17 Brighton 3 - 0 Derby
17/4/17 Brighton 2 - 1 Wigan
12/8/17 Brighton 0 - 2 Man City
9/9/17 Brighton 3 - 1 West Brom
24/9/17 Brighton 1 - 0 Newcastle

Oh, the victory helps, and it often the key point.

But to criticise people for choosing a game where we lost? Nah - poor form.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Didn't he have several really good opportunities to score that he fluffed?

Almost certainly. We are talking CMS after all. Its the one in the last minute that stands out though - if memory served he was clean through 1 on 1, went to slot it, but the keeper got a touch and sent it wide or possibly onto the post ? The mind plays tricks.

Perhaps poisonous is the wrong description as that would best describe the game against Millwall in the last days of Hyypia in December 2014. For the Burnley game any of the following : United, Compelling, Steadfast, Resolute, Courageous, Never Say Die, Extraordinary, perhaps all of them and more.

No. I'd say poisonous was the exact description of the atmosphere that day, as the burning injustice of that 2nd red card sent the crowd into outright fury against the officials. That also transformed itself into a cacophonous backing of the team, as against all odds we tried to get something from the game. But the sheer seething anger and bile directed at the ref from every stand in the ground was reminiscent of the Prosser game at Withdean, ramped up by about x5. It was marvellous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here