Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barber's Deadline Day Disappointment

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Barber is a spin machine. He's good at telling everyone off and PR bullsh*t but when it comes to signing strikers..

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Normally, I am quite tolerant of the club waiting to do their business hours before the window shuts. After all, the players hold all the cards until it dawns on them that they might not get a move at all. All in all, doing business too early can be far too expensive.

But this window is different. If we don't sign a striker, we could well go down. But even that fact isn't the most important fact. The important bit is the fact that we need to win the games played in January, because our "easy" games are front loaded. Ultimately it won't matter who we bring in, we'll still be losing those games in April and May. However, bring in a player NOW and that might make the difference to matches played in the next 3 weeks.

Barber should know all this. It's on his head. Any corporate bullshit after a failure to bring in a target won't really wash. That said, if he and the recruitment team does the business, then they will deserve a large helping of THANK YOU PIE.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Tony Bloom had something to say back in September too...

Brighton & Hove Albion chairman Tony Bloom has written an open letter to Albion supporters following the end of the transfer window last night.

Dear Supporter,

Our first Premier League transfer window ended shortly before 1am this morning.

We have secured many excellent signings which have strengthened the squad in many areas. In doing so, we have invested many tens of millions of pounds and we have broken our own record transfer fee three times. However, in what turned out to be a very eventful final day, we failed to secure the additional striker which has left all of us feeling very disappointed.

Our recruitment team, led by Paul Winstanley, worked tirelessly throughout the summer - and indeed in the many months before - to identify targets, prepare the ground work for our transfers, and to put us in the best possible position to execute deals at the optimum time in the window. A far from easy task, and a far from exact science.

Transfer windows are highly complex and dynamic. They require considerable investments in time, resources, energy, judgement, and, of course, finances. We were short in none of these areas. Transfer windows also require patience and good fortune. We were patient from the outset but, in the end, fortune did not come our way.

As we have seen in our first three matches of the season, the Premier League represents a big step up from the Championship. Your support for the team - both home and away - will be vital.

During the remainder of the international break, we will be working hard to re-group and to start the process of preparing our team for our second home Premier League match when West Brom visit us at the Amex on 9 September. And, such is the nature of player recruitment, our work for the next transfer window continues without pause.

Thank you for your continued and excellent support for the club.

Best wishes

Tony Bloom
Chairman

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Same old barber bull shite
He will certainly have something to moan about and if we get relegated and the stadiums half empty every other week with no one buying the new home kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I will be personally holding Barber and his team responsible if the club fail to sign a (decent) striker, and then get relegated in May.
Barber and the Recruitment Team would have effectively not provided their staff (The Manager: Hughton) adequate tools to perform a job on a daily / weekly basis.

If I recieve the usual spin of shite from Barber, I will be writing back to him to tell how he's failed Hughton, the players and the fans this season.

I just don't get why people think it is Barber and/or the recruitment team?

Quite honestly over the passed 3 seasons they've done amazingly well really, especially compared to some of the recruitment in the preceding years.

I don't think our problem IS Barber or the recruitment team.

I think we are in need of a player in an over inflated market that would completely smash our wage structure and transfer budget. There is only one person that sanctions that to happen.

Even risky unknown young strikers from Europe appear to be costing 10s of millions, Andy Carroll being touted at £20m FFS.

We as fans are now in that position we've often sneered at other clubs for being in – fans demanding their clubs spend millions regardless of financial prudence and affordability. We are attacking our CEO who we don't know is responsible, our recruitment team, and yet we really don't know the judgements that are being made, the meetings between TB, CH, PB and others.

In terms of people failing the club, I sincerely hope its not us fans as the season progresses.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Might as well just email Barber this thread tonight. We all know he reads NSC.
Hopefully this thread might actually motivate him to get his finger out of his arse and do some transfer business.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Might as well just email Barber this thread tonight. We all know he reads NSC.
Hopefully this thread might actually motivate him to get his finger out of his arse and do some transfer business.

The Barber’s and Winstanley’s are holidaying for the entire month in Mauritius.

Please leave them alone to relax and soak up some sunshine.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is that the same Hughton who almost certainly has zero say in the playing budget?

Yes the same fall guy who abandoned team management, coaching and travelling to games in August, to mismanage the failure to get Babacar, Andone, Janssen, etc, to sign on the dotted line. None of his extensive experience of handling deals with UK and overseas clubs, haggling over £10m’s and contract law, came to the fore and so CH let us down.

Alternatively CH could be putting a red line through every player put to him.

Sure that's incredibly unlikely, to put it mildly, but the truth will be somewhere between the two.
CH will have some responsibility in a potential 'Deadline Day Disappointment'.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

Quite honestly over the passed 3 seasons they've done amazingly well really, especially compared to some of the recruitment in the preceding years.

I think we are in need of a player in an over inflated market that would completely smash our wage structure and transfer budget. There is only one person that sanctions that to happen.

Even risky unknown young strikers from Europe appear to be costing 10s of millions, Andy Carroll being touted at £20m FFS.

We as fans are now in that position we've often sneered at other clubs for being in – fans demanding their clubs spend millions regardless of financial prudence and affordability. We are attacking our CEO who we don't know is responsible, our recruitment team, and yet we really don't know the judgements that are being made, the meetings between TB, CH, PB and others.

In terms of people failing the club, I sincerely hope its not us fans as the season progresses.

I don't get this at all. Of course we understand there in an inflated market etc but why hasn't there been a plan B or even plan C?
If the targets whom seem to be mainly from abroad don't come in maybe we could go for targets from the Championship or lower leagues.

We need to score goals or at least have attacking options. We are a couple of injuries away from being totally screwed if we aren't already

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Stop being so sensible !!! I've yet to see anyone who's blaming Barber, the recruitment team or Bloom explain HOW we get this elusive striker.

As for half empty ground and shirt sales plummeting next season if we go down ..... ridiculous.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't get this at all. Of course we understand there in an inflated market etc but why hasn't there been a plan B or even plan C?
If the targets whom seem to be mainly from abroad don't come in maybe we could go for targets from the Championship or lower leagues.

We need to score goals or at least have attacking options. We are a couple of injuries away from being totally screwed if we aren't already

It doesn't matter where they come from it's all about where they're going.

THE PREMIER LEAGUE, and that comes at a price.

I bet the club are now beginning to regret it's decision to not buy a Premier League Ready striker for Championship (Tony's) money, instead of plugging the gap with half arsed loanees and pensioners.

If only someone had mentioned this at the time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It doesn't matter where they come from it's all about where they're going.

THE PREMIER LEAGUE, and that comes at a price.

I bet the club are now beginning to regret it's decision to not buy a Premier League Ready striker for Championship (Tony's) money, instead of plugging the gap with half arsed loanees and pensioners.

If only someone had mentioned this at the time.

You really do fail to understand the frustration. We didn't land our targets in August, and some of us are prepared to believe that was in some way down to bad luck and swallowed Barber's usual novel as an apology. However, you'd think (after reviewing our fixture list) that some planning might have been done to make sure we landed a target striker in the early part of January. That hasn't happened and meanwhile we've taken 1 from 6 very winnable points (Bournemouth & WBA). This is important because it won't matter who comes in this month, we are not winning many points in April and May.

THAT is the problem here.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Maybe the club have decided to follow the 'much admired' Burnley model to go down again with parachute money, regroup and bounce back up again ?

Given the potentially increasing problems of getting out of the Championship it could however be a flawed strategy !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here