Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barber's Deadline Day Disappointment

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
With that attitude, why the striving to get up in the first place, you may as well just settle for being a fair to decent Championship side, if you cannot afford the PL?

We can afford the Premier League. We are in it. The point being made is that it may be the case that it is not sustainable. If so then so what ? It’s all part of life’s rich tapestry.
I really hope that you are part of a very small minority of BHA fans who think TB should make way for a foreign billionaire just so you can watch over hyped premier league football. If not then I despair of football and its fans. Sounds to me like you have been duped by the Premier League hype.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes, getting a striker in before West Brom would have been much better, but whether it's announced today or next Thursday doesn't really make that much difference does it?

Depends really. It looks like we are looking abroad for a striker which is fair. But I'd imagine moving country at short notice, having to deal with that side of things, family, friends etc... and being expected to hit the ground running scoring goals to keep us up is quite a big ask. Which is even more reason to get it done early to give Mr Striker a bit of time to settle, get used to his team, training. Might need some fitness training if they haven't been playing? Look how long it took for Jose to get into the first team after being signed

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
By paying stupid money. Many of whom then fall into trouble later - remember Portsmouth.

All very easy when it isn't you propping up the club from your pocket. Given what happened last time we played the silly money game I'm very happy that TB doesn't want to play - even if that means a return to the Championship. If we go down then we'll still survive, won't have to worry too much about debts, will still get decent crowds and more than likely will be competing to go back up.

I fully understand what you are saying and would rather the club have long term stability rather than short term risk, we all would I feel. However stupid money is what it takes to secure a quality striker, one who may keep you up and keep the sky money pouring in. You either pay that since it is the going rate or trust a little to luck that you have enough to keep you up with your championship strike force. Personally I don't think we do but that's a decision that the club will be taking.
One thing is for certain this wont go away since if we stay up wages and fee and unlikely to come down anytime soon so you have to bite the bullet sooner or later.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Depends really. It looks like we are looking abroad for a striker which is fair. But I'd imagine moving country at short notice, having to deal with that side of things, family, friends etc... and being expected to hit the ground running scoring goals to keep us up is quite a big ask. Which is even more reason to get it done early to give Mr Striker a bit of time to settle, get used to his team, training. Might need some fitness training if they haven't been playing? Look how long it took for Jose to get into the first team after being signed

True, but then Ulloa came over from Spain and scored on his debut against Arsenal.

I get it, but I'm not panicking yet.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Bigger than our debts in the Championship?

Our debts are owed only to TB ( excluding the overdraft to pay the promotion bonus ) and it is common knowledge he doesn't expect the money back. Also most of the debt was used to build assets not buy players.

Some ex-PL clubs in severe debt :

Blackburn £100m+
Cardiff £100m+
Middlesbrough £100m
Hull £100m

And of course, Bolton with nearly £200m and counting !!!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With that attitude, why the striving to get up in the first place, you may as well just settle for being a fair to decent Championship side, if you cannot afford the PL?

So, you can't afford the PL, but you can afford to lose £30M a season in the Championship? Yeh, makes complete economic common sense that does...............
:facepalm:

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
We can afford the Premier League. We are in it. The point being made is that it may be the case that it is not sustainable. If so then so what ? It’s all part of life’s rich tapestry.

Don't get me wrong, we have done fantastically well since Archer/Belotti to get where we are is like a dream.

Someone somewhere is being naive to think that we can survive after 6 years sweat & tears to get to the promised land, with a 34 year old striker and a poor sidekick.

What we now see is all the clubs in the bottom half chasing the same musical chairs (strikers), Everton get Walcott, even though they are around 3 times better off for strikers than most in the bottom half, and so it goes on - Palace are supposedly chasing Boubacar and Dembele.

The disappointment is we didn't do enough last summer, we had every opportunity, now we find ourselves in a cut throat business. If we don't gamble a little, then it's back to square one after 35 years of waiting.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
.... and it gets done!

Yes, IF the other party agrees; if the other club, /player/player's agent/player's WAG don't agree, it does not get done. I'm not quite sure why you appear to have difficulty uderstanding that. It's really quite simple - we can't agree contracts unilaterally (neither can anybody else).

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Yes, IF the other party agrees; if the other club, /player/player's agent/player's WAG don't agree, it does not get done. I'm not quite sure why you appear to have difficulty uderstanding that. It's really quite simple - we can't agree contracts unilaterally (neither can anybody else).

I'm not sure why you think we cannot get any deals done, as most clubs do at some point even with knock backs along the way?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I believe it is too late, our failure to get one in despite all the excuses/bad luck/ leaving it so late last summer, is now probably unresolvable & has shaped our near destiny.

I'm not sure why you think we cannot get any deals done, as most clubs do at some point even with knock backs along the way?

You could have a decent argument with yourself at this rate...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No doubt PB will have his piece about failure to sign somebody and why saved on his computer to churn out yet again. We all know it is difficult to sign players especially in January and they are are expensive because supply is exceeded by demand but that is the world we are in so should have pursued it further between September and January in order to make the signing a formality.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Those were replies to different posts and different contexts!

GT49ER seems to think that we cannot agree contracts unilaterally, that amazes me, as other clubs appear to eventually get over the line.

Its called discussion and bargaining. Perhaps we are not prepared to enter that game and have a wage etc set in stone and will not budge. I dont know just a possible answer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Isn't that the same for most clubs? When you do find a great striker, they move on, they're in demand. Why are they in demand? Because so many clubs want to sign a great striker. Why so many clubs? Because everyone is in the same boat searching for a great striker. Always is, and always will be the hardest role to fill, hence they are the highest value.

You might think its been shit for 10 years, others will think a club that gave Murray and Barnes their big breaks and steam rollered League One, that attracted CMS* when others were in the hunt, discovered Ulloa coming into the peak of his career, bought Hemed into his, fashioned Baldock into a dynamite no.10, gave Murray a new lease of life...I would imagine others looking in would actually be impressed when you think of what the likes of Derby have spent and the number of strikers they've gone through as an example.quote (Bold Seagull)

How many Premier League clubs started the season with two strikers, a loanee that got injured and a semi permanent sick note ( I really like Baldock btw but he is a sicknote)? You are in denial if you think we have the quality and numbers required over the last few seasons. Last season we got very very lucky that Murray managed to play a full season as we were light on strikers too, luckily Knocky chipped in with quite a few crucial goals. Most clubs at the level we have been at, for a few years, have had more and equally good strikers overs the last couple of seasons, wouldn’t you agree?

Talking of Derby, I’d have Vydra in a heartbeat.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Genuine question... is our anti-agent stance, or the way we deal / treat them something to do with it? From memory we've always been quite strict about the way we deal with and pay agents. You'd expect between September and January agents would be out there trying to sort deals for players, but without being more pro-active and playing the game a bit more that makes it very difficult.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Our debts are owed only to TB ( excluding the overdraft to pay the promotion bonus ) and it is common knowledge he doesn't expect the money back. Also most of the debt was used to build assets not buy players.

Some ex-PL clubs in severe debt :

Blackburn £100m+
Cardiff £100m+
Middlesbrough £100m
Hull £100m

And of course, Bolton with nearly £200m and counting !!!!

That figure at Boro is disgraceful after what they went through in the 1980s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here