Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barber's Deadline Day Disappointment

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
HOW ? Nobody seems to be explaining HOW ?

Anyone that really thinks that the Albion are purposely, or incompetently, not signing a striker is mad. The club is a multi-million pound business that is exceptionally well run and has an owner that has out more into the club financially than all of us combined. The idea that PB, TB or the recruitment team want to put this at risk is ridiculous.

They'll have their targets already - HOW do they force the current owning club to agree a deal ? Throw stupid amounts of money at it like Man City, PSG et al ? Remember that money will come directly out of TB's pocket not yours ! So the club have managed to strike a deal with the owning club. HOW do they then force the player to accept, and of course to accept in the first few days of the transfer window to satisfy the impatient supporters ? Break the wage structure ? Of course the player will hold out as long as possible for offers from elsewhere - HOW do the club stop this ?

So, come on then, explain HOW ?

Maybe there could have been some targets who would be happy to move, instead of going for targets who we need to persuade?
I don't know HOW as you keep on shouting, that's because I'm not an expert in this field. I would've thought as we missed out in the summer maybe we might have had some forwards ready to go especially as we've now lost Izzy

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
The quiet way we deal with transfers doesn't appear to work does it?
Everton and their manager have been telling everybody how they want Walcott. Looks like they have been successful.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
HOW ? Nobody seems to be explaining HOW ?

Anyone that really thinks that the Albion are purposely, or incompetently, not signing a striker is mad. The club is a multi-million pound business that is exceptionally well run and has an owner that has put more into the club financially than all of us combined. The idea that PB, TB or the recruitment team want to put this at risk is ridiculous.

They'll have their targets already - HOW do they force the current owning club to agree a deal ? Throw stupid amounts of money at it like Man City, PSG et al ? Remember that money will come directly out of TB's pocket not yours ! So the club have managed to strike a deal with the owning club. HOW do they then force the player to accept, and of course to accept in the first few days of the transfer window to satisfy the impatient supporters ? Break the wage structure ? Of course the player will hold out as long as possible for offers from elsewhere - HOW do the club stop this ?

So, come on then, explain HOW ?

HOW?? It really is quite straight forward, you scout, you identify the player(s), you approach the club, you agree a fee, you agree a contract.

HOW do you think other clubs manage to do it?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
HOW?? It really is quite straight forward, you scout, you identify the player(s), you approach the club, you agree a fee, you agree a contract.

How many PL transfers have been concluded in this transfer window so far? Sounds pretty easy, so it must be loads...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So I'll ask again, how EXACTLY do the club prevent their targets dragging their feet to try and get a better deal or see if other deals come forward ?

The only way is to pay over the odds. If the club make big offers with big wages then they'll get deals done early. This approach is of course frought with danger. There's a definite policy of getting value for money with transfers. To use a poker analogy they seem to be slow playing every hand to extract the best value, but are losing on the river.

People keep mentioning Andone falling through in the summer because their replacement got injured. That's the risk you take by leaving it to the last day, with hindsight they probably could've pushed it through by offering more money earlier in the window. As it is Andone is back in favour at Deportivo and the deal is dead.

Obviously this is easy for me to say because it's not my money, but you get the feeling that Bloom will have to take a gamble at some point to make a deal happen.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
God this is a depressing thread. Tick tock tick tock

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
On the other thread the poster known asSteve Foster said we won’t be signing anyone significant in this window, he also said it would become apparent why by the end of the season, he seemed really genuine and I believe he might be right!

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Do you honestly think it's that easy? I suspect you know that it's not and are really just a WUM.

No it's not that easy I am paraphrasing, and as you said it is not my money!

However, you have just been promoted to the top flight after 6 years of trying, the failure to get any striker of note in the summer, or lined up in the 2nd window ie January is just ridiculous, resting your hopes on a 34 year old and a Championship standard striker.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
On the other thread the poster known asSteve Foster said we won’t be signing anyone significant in this window, he also said it would become apparent why by the end of the season, he seemed really genuine and I believe he might be right!

So TB has run out of money or run off with it or sold the club? What other reasons would there be that we would need to wait until the end of the season until we find out?

A discussion on this might brighten up this depressing thread.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
They had 3 months last summer, and Barber said they immediately resumed their transfer search on 1st September.....basic maths dear boy.

Therefore 'looking around' for 7.5 months and coming up with no result is failure!

Ok so in answer to my question some of that 7.5 months was when they were looking but unable to buy.

As you know they had TWO failed medicals last summer.Still yes you could say it was a bit of a cock up not to have
bought a striker.

When you say no result after 7.5 months,you do realise there are two weeks left of the transfer window dear boy?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Regardless of how many 'HOWS' are spelt out, it is highly likely that our failure(up until now) to sign at least one striker will lead us to being relegated after one season in the Prem, which would be a dreadful disappointment, but was predicted by many back in the summer.
And yes, I know we haven't been relegated yet, but the fact that we are now firmly in a relegation battle will make signing any saviour, so much harder.:(

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017

You approach a club,you can't agree on a fee,both sides bluff each other then right on the last day one of them gives or doesn't give and a deal is done/not done.Simples.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The question for me is: Are the club hierarchy trying their hardest to do the best thing for the club?

The answer for me is: Yes, they are doing their best under difficult circumstances.

end.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Ok so in answer to my question some of that 7.5 months was when they were looking but unable to buy.

As you know they had TWO failed medicals last summer.Still yes you could say it was a bit of a cock up not to have
bought a striker.

When you say no result after 7.5 months,you do realise there are two weeks left of the transfer window dear boy?

Yes and I agree with that. They have failed in the summer, and obviously failed since 1st Sept to get a deal in place.

The BIG problem now as has been written elsewhere, is why would any striker risk his immediate future coming here at the end of January with relegation a distinct possibility?

I wonder what terms Pritchard has in his contract, if Huddersfield go down, re transferring or leaving?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here