Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barber's Deadline Day Disappointment

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
But clearly we know how to recruit players. So your post of how to conclude deals is something we're already following. So what needs to change for a striker, specifically?

I believe it is too late, our failure to get one in despite all the excuses/bad luck/ leaving it so late last summer, is now probably unresolvable & has shaped our near destiny.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So TB has run out of money or run off with it or sold the club? What other reasons would there be that we would need to wait until the end of the season until we find out?

A discussion on this might brighten up this depressing thread.
TB out of money ? Could be, I guess.

Run off with it ? No.

Sold the club ? The buyers would surely be pumping in cash now to stay up.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Stepped up ? , failed loans, relied on. Not sure where you were in the last few years but
In the last 2 and a half seasons Baldock, Hemed, Murray and Zamora (all recruited for less than the price of 1 Jordan Rhodes transfer) scored 100+ goals between them, about 40 or so assists, and their goals contributed to Albion's 2 most successful seasons for over 30 years. Ask the rest of the Championship how much they'd like to have that sort of success in recruiting forwards. (Reading, Derby, Sheff Weds, Leeds, Fulham and the rest of em still struggling to get out of the division.).
Yes. Chuba Akpom was a dud. Leon Best likewise but so what. They didn't play and it didn't , in the end , matter.
The transfer window last summer was frustrating but lets not rewrite history.

Fair to say Hemed hasn't stepped up. 2 Goals and we were trying to off-load him in August if we could sign a replacement. My point is since Ulloa/Barnes left we've never really had *that* striker to see us through. The success was when we went back to old hands such as Murray & Zamora. I can't even see Murray being with us next season if we are in the Premiership. I'm not denying what we had hasn't worked, but what I'm saying is we have hardly been very imaginative or forward thinking when it has come to strikers in recent years.

Do you think if we hadn't of had Murray & Zamora before, they'd have come to us?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
HOW do you think other clubs manage to do it?

By paying stupid money. Many of whom then fall into trouble later - remember Portsmouth.

All very easy when it isn't you propping up the club from your pocket. Given what happened last time we played the silly money game I'm very happy that TB doesn't want to play - even if that means a return to the Championship. If we go down then we'll still survive, won't have to worry too much about debts, will still get decent crowds and more than likely will be competing to go back up.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
Yes and I agree with that. They have failed in the summer, and obviously failed since 1st Sept to get a deal in place.

The BIG problem now as has been written elsewhere, is why would any striker risk his immediate future coming here at the end of January with relegation a distinct possibility?

I wonder what terms Pritchard has in his contract, if Huddersfield go down, re transferring or leaving?

Failed since Sept 1st?how if the transfer window has two weeks left?

Strikers would have considered relegation when considering signing for us in the summer and more.Remember,we
were supposed to be in the bottom 3 since day 1.We were not supposed to have reached 8th.We were not supposed
to on only one occasion let in more than 2 goals.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
By paying stupid money. Many of whom then fall into trouble later - remember Portsmouth.

All very easy when it isn't you propping up the club from your pocket. Given what happened last time we played the silly money game I'm very happy that TB doesn't want to play - even if that means a return to the Championship. If we go down then we'll still survive, won't have to worry too much about debts, will still get decent crowds and more than likely will be competing to go back up.

Do you have any examples more recent than Portsmouth who were relegated in 2010?

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
I believe it is too late, our failure to get one in despite all the excuses/bad luck/ leaving it so late last summer, is now probably unresolvable & has shaped our near destiny.

Any ideas why so many transfers are done on the last day?are all the other teams as shit as us at buying new players?or is there some other reason?

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Failed since Sept 1st?how if the transfer window has two weeks left?

Strikers would have considered relegation when considering signing for us in the summer and more.Remember,we
were supposed to be in the bottom 3 since day 1.We were not supposed to have reached 8th.We were not supposed
to on only one occasion let in more than 2 goals.

I would hope you would have learnt something from your reliance on last day deadline failings last summer.

Stirkers will see us in more danger of relegation now than they would have last summer, 15 games to go and a horrendous April/May list of fixtures.

We reached 8th momentarily, but the reality is our position has been going backwards ever since despite the players efforts.

16th puts a rather different gloss on things.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do you think if we hadn't of had Murray & Zamora before, they'd have come to us?

It’s a valid point, the new striker recruitment has been shit for years. Ulloa, Barnes and Hemed over the last decade and two old boys coming back for a swan song. Have I missed anyone?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Any ideas why so many transfers are done on the last day?are all the other teams as shit as us at buying new players?or is there some other reason?

In normal circumstances I'd agree with you, but the fact of the matter is all of our likely winnable games were between 1st January and 3rd March, so we don't have the luxury of waiting and that should take into account what we do. Maybe used the saved wages from NOT signing a striker in the summer as a bit of incentive to get some business done early?

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven

With that attitude, why the striving to get up in the first place, you may as well just settle for being a fair to decent Championship side, if you cannot afford the PL?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Do you have any examples more recent than Portsmouth who were relegated in 2010?

I used Portsmouth as an extreme example but there are plenty of clubs in the Championship that gambled to try and stay in the PL and now have massive debts.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
With that attitude, why the striving to get up in the first place, you may as well just settle for being a fair to decent Championship side, if you cannot afford the PL?

What a daft statement. Of course a club will always strive to get as high as possible - it doesn't mean they should bankrupt themselves to do so.

Go and liquidate all your assets and put them on a horse .... after all if you win you'll be able to buy even better assets.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I used Portsmouth as an extreme example but there are plenty of clubs in the Championship that gambled to try and stay in the PL and now have massive debts.

Bigger than our debts in the Championship?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Tricky, isn't it?

Talking about this as being the last fortnight of a one-month window isn't quite right for us. The last 2 weeks out of 4 doesn't sound bad... but this is the last 2 weeks out of five months' transfer activity if we believe what we're told. 90% of the time available to us to seal that deal has gone.

On the other hand, the argument about needing a striker NOW because our easier games are front loaded makes sense, but actually the next winnable league game is actually on deadline day - Chelsea isn't a game we're expected to get anything from and then Boro in the cup is essentially irrelevant. Yes, getting a striker in before West Brom would have been much better, but whether it's announced today or next Thursday doesn't really make that much difference does it?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s a valid point, the new striker recruitment has been shit for years. Ulloa, Barnes and Hemed over the last decade and two old boys coming back for a swan song. Have I missed anyone?

Isn't that the same for most clubs? When you do find a great striker, they move on, they're in demand. Why are they in demand? Because so many clubs want to sign a great striker. Why so many clubs? Because everyone is in the same boat searching for a great striker. Always is, and always will be the hardest role to fill, hence they are the highest value.

You might think its been shit for 10 years, others will think a club that gave Murray and Barnes their big breaks and steam rollered League One, that attracted CMS* when others were in the hunt, discovered Ulloa coming into the peak of his career, bought Hemed into his, fashioned Baldock into a dynamite no.10, gave Murray a new lease of life...I would imagine others looking in would actually be impressed when you think of what the likes of Derby have spent and the number of strikers they've gone through as an example.

*coughs dramatically...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
HOW?? It really is quite straight forward, you scout, you identify the player(s), you approach the club, you agree a fee, you agree a contract.

HOW do you think other clubs manage to do it?

Yes, but what is the minimum number of parties that have to agree to a contract (I'll give you a clue: it's more than one).

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
What a daft statement. Of course a club will always strive to get as high as possible - it doesn't mean they should bankrupt themselves to do so.

Go and liquidate all your assets and put them on a horse .... after all if you win you'll be able to buy even better assets.

If I didn't have sufficient finances, I wouldn't be dabbling in horse racing in the first place!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here