Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] New grounds you can get to next season...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Don't some trains from Brighton call at Selhurst (albeit at weird times)?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Borehamwood is also doable on Thameslink i think. (Borehamwood and Elstree station) They are still within a shout of being promoted (again) to the Football League for next season.

You are correct, I went there to watch Whitehawk in the play off final, Borehamwood station isn't far from the ground.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Don't some trains from Brighton call at Selhurst (albeit at weird times)?

From my experience , only coming back from London late a night. I think they are crew drop off stops.

Of course, why would anyone want to leave the train there anyway :)?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
And Bristol Parkway, which is also a stop on the Brighton -> Cardiff direct train.

So, also: Cardiff.

Newport (County) also.

PS Only direct train per week is the 1520 arrival on a Sunday (1540 at Cardiff), so unlikely to be of use.

The 0859 weekday service from Brighton to Great Malvern also calls at Cheltenham Spa, for Cheltenham FC.

PG

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Haven’t visited Shrewsbury’s new stadium yet.

Would drive up and make a weekend of it, but won’t bother to visit if midweek.

:lolol:

I initially only saw the thread title without reading the OP and was thinking to myself "at least I'll get another chance to visit Preston for the first time".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
:lolol:

I initially only saw the thread title without reading the OP and was thinking to myself "at least I'll get another chance to visit Preston for the first time".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apart from our inability to win there, Preston is a cracking day out. very nice pubs and in my experience friendly locals.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Pretty sure this went via Reading for a while as well. But that's gone, and the ground has moved....

It went via Reading, Oxford, Coventry, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Stoke (not Crewe), Macclesfield and Stockport. When it was extended as the 'Sussex Scot' to Glasgow/Edinburgh, it also served Preston and Carlisle.

For a while in the 90s, there was even a summer Saturday 'holiday special' to Eastbourne via Lewes from Manchester and the above stations. Unfortunately it was southbound in the morning before returning in the afternoon, so no practical use for going direct to matches.

In 1983/4, when I was a 2nd year at Warwick Uni., there was a direct Coventry-Brighton service I used to get to home matches, arriving in Brighton at 12. My mum would pick me up, feed me lunch and even sometimes do my washing while I was at the game. I'd then get the return about 6, but had to travel via Victoria and Euston as there was no convenient return journey. With a student railcard, this cost £3.75 return, which was equivalent to 6 pints in the Uni bar! I did 30-odd games that season and we missed out on promotion on the last day to Portsmouth, despite beating Sheffield United.

PG

Last edited:

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
Its under 2 miles walk from East Croydon Station to Whitehorse Lane, though I'd be more inclined to walk in the opposite direction.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It went via Reading, Oxford, Coventry, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Stoke (not Crewe), Macclesfield and Stockport. When it was extended as the 'Sussex Scot' to Glasgow/Edinburgh, it also served Preston and Carlisle.

For a while in the 90s, there was even a summer Saturday 'holiday special' to Eastbourne via Lewes from Manchester and the above stations. Unfortunately it was southbound in the morning before returning in the afternoon, so no practical use for going direct to matches.

In 1983/4, when I was a 2nd year at Warwick Uni., there was a direct Coventry-Brighton service I used to get to home matches, arriving in Brighton at 12. My mum would pick me up, feed me lunch and even sometimes do my washing while I was at the game. I'd then get the return about 6, but had to travel via Victoria and Euston as there was no convenient return journey. With a student railcard, this cost £3.75 return, which was equivalent to 6 pints in the Uni bar! I did 30-odd games that season and we missed out on promotion on the last day to Portsmouth, despite beating Sheffield United.

PG

Yes - The Sussex Scot. I remember that - took all day, but very handy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here