Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] B. Tapestry - Loan Signing From France

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
What you saw was a replica, called the Hastings Embroidery. It was on display in our Town Hall for many years, which is where I saw it as a kid. It later moved to Hastings Pier and eventually into storage. There was a campaign some time back to have it restored and put back on public display. Sadly, nothing came of it.

If the real thing comes to England then I can't think of anywhere that deserves to host it more than Hastings.
Thank you for the info. I'm pretty sure I saw it in a round building, (with the tapestry round the walls) and in the middle was a big model showing the actual battle.

And yes, it has to be Hastings.

And apologies to everyone else for me taking this thread away from it's quite amusing real topic!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I'd love it to be in Hastings but given it's age , fragility and value plus political importance. ... I cannot see that happening. They'd have to build a state of the art exhibition hall . ......and it is huge!

British Museum, I guess.
NB. Why are we so keen to see a memorial to our biggest ever defeat ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Shouldn't it be at battle Abbey :drama:

Of course it should all these people saying Hastings, it was not in Hastings. Why would you have a battle anywhere else. It make sense to have a battle in its namesake. Some people.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'd love it to be in Hastings but given it's age , fragility and value plus political importance. ... I cannot see that happening. They'd have to build a state of the art exhibition hall . ......and it is huge!

British Museum, I guess.
NB. Why are we so keen to see a memorial to our biggest ever defeat ?

I suppose we'd have to a have a local MP who actually cares about our town to have any chance of getting funding for such a state of the art exhibition hall. No chance there then :(

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Of course it should all these people saying Hastings, it was not in Hastings. Why would you have a battle anywhere else. It make sense to have a battle in its namesake. Some people.

Yes, it's still called the Battle of Battle to this very day isn't.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I suppose we'd have to a have a local MP who actually cares about our town to have any chance of getting funding for such a state of the art exhibition hall. No chance there then :(

She can't even spell it correctly. :facepalm:

[tweet]953682648106524672[/tweet]

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes, it's still called the Battle of Battle to this very day isn't.

It didn't happen in Hastings but under the mini roundabout in the area named after it. Since the last bank shut Battle is dead give it something to boost it. Hastings after all has got a shinny blank of wood in the sea to bring visitors.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Shouldn't it be at battle Abbey :drama:

I haven't been there for many years but thought that it was a ruin with no roof. Might cost a bit to put a cover over it.
Whole thing seems to be a bit of a waste of money anyway. As others posted - we did lose this one (no Churchill around to sort them out!) after all.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It didn't happen in Hastings but under the mini roundabout in the area named after it. Since the last bank shut Battle is dead give it something to boost it. Hastings after all has got a shinny blank of wood in the sea to bring visitors.

Disputed as to where the actual battle took place. I went to the reconstruction this year inside the Abbey grounds, on the usual spot. Latest theory is on the other side of the main road by the top of Marley Lane I think. By the mini roundabout, as you say.

The Normans landed at Pevensey and there's bugger all left of the castle they built there. Same with our castle at Hastings.

Point is though, every single person knows that point in our history as - The Battle of Hastings. For that reason, we deserve to host the Tapestry more than any other place in England.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Disputed as to where the actual battle took place. I went to the reconstruction this year inside the Abbey grounds, on the usual spot. Latest theory is on the other side of the main road by the top of Marley Lane I think. By the mini roundabout, as you say.

The Normans landed at Pevensey and there's bugger all left of the castle they built there. Same with our castle at Hastings.

Point is though, every single person knows that point in our history as - The Battle of Hastings. For that reason, we deserve to host the Tapestry more than any other place in England.

Hands off our battle you Hastings boys

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Just been on Hastings Pier, would be a great place to display it. Just need a bit of further investment to house it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hands off our battle you Hastings boys

We'll battle you for it! :lol:

Just been on Hastings Pier, would be a great place to display it. Just need a bit of further investment to house it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Great idea! Our award winning open space design makes such things possible. It would be perfect there.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpeg

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
The French call it La Iapisserie de la Reine Mathilde, or Queen Matilda's Tapestry. If it was an embroidery they would call it La Broderie...., Since they made it and they call it a tapestry, then I guess it is a tapestry./

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here