Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Skalak off?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Bjordal has been popping in goals... not seen him play, but he must get a bench chance at least, considering our paucity of goals.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

From what I saw of Bjordal, I think in pre-season before last, he looked better on the ball than March. I was going to do a post yesterday about dipping into the Dev squad if the signings don't come in. Mulomby also looks good and Tilley must be knocking on the door too for a chance. These players have been in the Dev squad for years so they should either be loaned out or used if they are good enough. Lots of teenagers have made debuts in the Prem so age isn't the issue.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The cross - from deep - on the run - with his wrong foot - between two Norwich defenders - perfectly onto Murray's head - in that game was the best cross I have ever seen from an Albion player. World class.

I was impressed because it was a goal, but the sensible pass would have been to the unmarked Baldock instead of to Murray with two defenders around him.

But maybe not in view of the accuracy of Baldock's shooting? I might have to view it again as Baldock may have strayed offside?

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2017/may/murray-reflects-on-favourite-goal/

Viewed again. Bong to Skalak running into space and then what impressed me was Baldock losing his marker at the near post.

PS: Lualua playing for QPR seems to have completely lost his touch and I would be surprised if he ever gets another first team chance. I don't think CH gave him the opportunities but he can't or won't run into space like Skalak or Baldock and in his last run out for QPR seemed unable to even do the basics of controlling a pass. (Like my last football game; my body would not do what my brain wanted it to do.)

Baldock can play instead of a winger, but he cannot help out in defence like Murray.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Should Skalak be tried in the role of deadball man instead of March and Knockaert and perhaps give Gross a rest to the bench and give Baldock a try or even Propper and move Gross back into his role. As it stands any change is worth a try.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Skalak is simply not good enough to play in the premier league.

An average championship player imo.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Skalak is simply not good enough to play in the premier league.

An average championship player imo.

I would agree generally but GM is not getting the service he needs with virtually no crosses and relying on set piece delivery from Gross and desperate times seek desperate measures. He MAY just up his game and provide GM with the ammunition to score.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
It does not matter who the wingers are, unless we get them further up the pitch to deliver the ball.

Ours largely play as extra full backs, then we whine at them for not racing 70 yards down the pitch and not finding the perfect cross or pass at the end of it.

Our wide men are plenty good enough, just got to get them in better areas.

Skalak is not the answer. We know that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. Chris Hughton has seen Skalak week in, week out in training and hasn't give him a sniff of the bench, let alone the 1st XI.

2. Nobody on NSC in the whole of the first half of this season was calling for Skalak to get selected for the matchday squad.

3. We've just let Jamie Murphy go to Rangers - a far better all-round player than Skalak.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The crosses that do get put in by Knockaert, March and Bong/Sutner are not good enough for GM to attack. Notice I didnt include Izquierdo as he never puts in a cross. As I said previously the only decent ones are from Gross and usually set play.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've seen Skalak twice this season. Once against Barnet in the Cup, and again for the U23's against Blackburn. Both games, he absolutely STUNK the place out. I mean truly STUNK it out.

If Skalak is the answer, I don't even want to know the question. Unless its "who should we definitely bin off this month ?"

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I agree, but there's a point when no matter how good they actually were for us, the myth of them being utter turd overtakes all actual facts. Personally, I always quite liked him. A decent, hard-working Championship player who made a good contribution to us over two great seasons. Wish him well as and when he departs.

I'd agree in part. I think he excelled as an unknown in his first 6 months where his set pieces, hard work and ability to strike a ball pretty well meant that his numbers were very good, even if his performances didn't quite match the numbers at the time. Last season I thought he performed at the same level but was used primarily in away games as a defensive shield for our LB whenever Hughton deemed it necessary. Unfortunately, his assists and goals dried up though, even if the actual 90 minute performances were about the same. I'd still be surprised to see him with us come next season, whichever division we're in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll forgive Skalak just about anything because of THAT goal.
For that one moment he took 30+ years off my life and I felt like a teenager at The Goldstone, again.

It's the 21st century version of Chappers' goal v Bournemouth.

Chances are in 30+ years time they'll be the only 2 goals I'll remember seeing and I'll be happy with that.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I have a Jiri wonder goal t-shirt.
I like him.
That is all.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
THAT goal was good but the lasting memory for me was at MK dons where, right in front of us, he somehow dug out a cross from a silly position and Tomer scored.

That was just pure technique. Class.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'd agree in part. I think he excelled as an unknown in his first 6 months where his set pieces, hard work and ability to strike a ball pretty well meant that his numbers were very good, even if his performances didn't quite match the numbers at the time. Last season I thought he performed at the same level but was used primarily in away games as a defensive shield for our LB whenever Hughton deemed it necessary. Unfortunately, his assists and goals dried up though, even if the actual 90 minute performances were about the same. I'd still be surprised to see him with us come next season, whichever division we're in.

This.

Last season and this, there has been clear instructions for wide players to do their defensive bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I'll forgive Skalak just about anything because of THAT goal.
For that one moment he took 30+ years off my life and I felt like a teenager at The Goldstone, again.

It's the 21st century version of Chappers' goal v Bournemouth.

Chances are in 30+ years time they'll be the only 2 goals I'll remember seeing and I'll be happy with that.

sidwell's???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here