Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Discuss our current strategy for defending corners....

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It hurts to say this (repeat it, actually), but anyone who has played organised football at any level knows that two keys to winning defensive headers are determination and bravery. Heading a ball under challenge is potentially dangerous and painful. You risk a clash of heads and consequently a broken nose, losing a tooth or two and occasionally coming to on the ground with blood pouring out of your scalp and the prospect of a quite few stitches (what an enjoyable Sunday morning that was). But if you want to clear the ball and you want your team to win the game, you do what it takes.

If your immediate opponent is taller than you or has a run on you, you can still make it difficult for him to get a clean header, or you can block his run.

I won't name names (it's on YouTube anyway), but the Brighton player with Jay Rodriguez for West Brom's first goal didn't compete for the ball. If he's not prepared to do so (especially bearing in mind all the money Tony Bloom is no doubt paying him), why is he in the penalty area?

After reading all through this thread I believe this is really what it is all about. Our players do not have the concentration and commitment from corners.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Whatever CH says about stats etc, the methods we are implementing are clearly not working. Try being innovative. The three men on the half way line sounds stupid but it's different. Have one on the left, one on the right and one in the middle. That will take 6 of their players out of the penalty area as they will probably keep 4 back, the keeper and the corner taker himself. Leaves only 5 of theirs to attack the box against our 8. You can have two on the posts and man mark the others. The players up front would need to hold their nerve as the temptation would be to follow one of theirs if they made a late run.

Also, the more crowded the box the easier it is for an attacker to make a run and use a team mate to block his marker.

As for Bruno, he is a complete liability. He has cost us points in two games because of his defending at corners. I am sure if he continues he will give away more penalties.

At the end of the day, what we are doing isn't working and it's hurting us so try something different.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Whatever CH says about stats etc, the methods we are implementing are clearly not working. Try being innovative. The three men on the half way line sounds stupid but it's different. Have one on the left, one on the right and one in the middle. That will take 6 of their players out of the penalty area as they will probably keep 4 back, the keeper and the corner taker himself. Leaves only 5 of theirs to attack the box against our 8. You can have two on the posts and man mark the others. The players up front would need to hold their nerve as the temptation would be to follow one of theirs if they made a late run.

Also, the more crowded the box the easier it is for an attacker to make a run and use a team mate to block his marker.

As for Bruno, he is a complete liability. He has cost us points in two games because of his defending at corners. I am sure if he continues he will give away more penalties.

At the end of the day, what we are doing isn't working and it's hurting us so try something different.

This sums it up very nicely. I don't care how much we've been practicing defending corners, the fact is it isn't working. Therefore it's time to try something different. Seems pretty obvious to me, but not seemingly to Mr Hughton.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Chelsea kept one man on the halfway line when we had corners plus another midway between the goal line and halfway. That's the least we should do. A less crowded penalty area would help prevent our players getting in each others way, as happened again yesterday.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Every cloud...Palace can't defend corners either. 2 goals given away yesterday after poor tracking.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
giphy.gif

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here