Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emiliano Sala [signed by Cardiff, confirmed to have been on missing aircraft]

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
We are the Millwall of the Premier League - no-one likes us we don't care.........

More like.......No one wants to join us. We do care.

Not as catchy, I give you

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
35k a week might just do it... you misery

I though money would rear its head, and I understand why.

I guess I cling in the hope that a player wants to be here for the football not the money and will stand by us if we go down.

This player thinks the writing is on the wall for Brighton, and that I do understand, who wants to up heave what country you live in to play in a division that had they been in the championship in the first place you would have said no straight away.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Jesus Christ - rejected by a lacklustre target, and one in last chance saloon for a shot at megabucks Prem money as well. How depressing!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Naylor says not true.

Although who's to say we aren't denying it having been rejected to save face.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Hasn't no one within club realised yet. You can't keep offering wages below market value and get accepted. Bit like Hughton keep playing same tactics and expecting different outcome.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Hasn't no one within club realised yet. You can't keep offering wages below market value and get accepted. Bit like Hughton keep playing same tactics and expecting different outcome.

And the problem with having a wage structure is that you can’t go and grab a short term prospect like Defoe. Spend zero on the transfer and £5m in wages for a recognised goal scorer compared to maybe £20m over 4 years and wages for someone who may not fit in. Yes I know he is injured but the point still stands

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
How does anyone know we're offering below market wages? Got Chris' ear have we?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Well CH did say a week ago that we needed to review our approach towards transfers, so you are probably right.

Should keep happy a few people on NSC who want us to sign any old striker, even if they are no better tham Murray or Hemed. At least they can't accuse the club of not trying hard to sign anyone now that we are now working through our B list. Perhaps they will realise the difficulties in signing anyone half decent once we move onto the C list, bearing in mind our current league position just aboove the relegation zone.

I think we need to either revise our budgets and quickly or accept that we'll go with what we have even if we are relegated and put significant investment into some 18/19 yr old strikers who may develop in PL quality players. It concerns me that we are old as a team and starting to look it on the pitch. If we cannot get the right people in now, tell us. In the scheme of things we have seen as news over the years, being told we can't afford a striker is nothing in comparison to say we are playing at Pompey next season...

We wouldn't be the first club to yo-yo between the PL and the Championship while waiting for some prospects to mature and while its risky, at least its a plan. Signing our 20th choice striker who is no better than what we have just ends in the same result relegation but with an expensive 'asset' to shift. For all the mostly good work the recruitment team have done the striker situation looks from the outside at least to be a complete mess. To my mind we'd be better off at this point signing an 18 year old prospect from south america as a 27yr old who can't score in Ligue 1 and doesn't want to come anyway.

Wages may or may not be a problem, but if we are insisting on relegation clauses which in my opinion we have to, I suspect that will be a issue to players and agents alike.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Could be his Agent threw our name into the pot just to negotiate a better contract. He just doesn't seem what we need as we already have 2 similar players so I'm suspicious of any apparent approach.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
And the problem with having a wage structure is that you can’t go and grab a short term prospect like Defoe. Spend zero on the transfer and £5m in wages for a recognised goal scorer compared to maybe £20m over 4 years and wages for someone who may not fit in. Yes I know he is injured but the point still stands

A wage structure has to be competitive for what you are after. Clubs accept a fee but agreeing wages with strikers seems to be a constent stumbling block. They know what they are worth in today's market, as do their agents. And everyone knows we are desperate. There are only two possible outcomes here. 1. We get someone who fits our budget, which will probably mean a lad on loan or a gamble from some lower league club abroad, or indeed championship or 2. We have to pay more than our current structure for proven quality.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
I win! You fell right into my trap.

O I get the trap.I said I would never say the name Gabbiadini again but infact due to your cleverness
you made me say Gabbiadini when infact I said I would never say Gabbbiadini and now you are making
me have to keep repeating the name Gabbiadini to explain to you I understand your trap about Gabbiadini.

Very clever.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I said I would never say the name Gabbiadini again but infact due to your cleverness
you made me say Gabbiadini when infact I said I would never say Gabbbiadini and now you are making
me have to keep repeating the name Gabbiadini to explain to you I understand your trap about Gabbiadini.

That's one hell of a sentence!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here