Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where does the buck stop?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That is what Barber is paid half a million pounds a year to do.....

I have no idea of the conversations about budget/signings etc at board level. Like many others on here, I am a passionate fan of the club who do not want to see us relegated - and their inability to do what is obvious to all is deeply frustrating to me.

Rather than threatening me with prison for letting someone else use my season ticket and write 200 page diatribes in response to fan complaints, I humbly suggest Barber achieves the most important thing - which is signing someone who can score some goals.and keep us in the Premier League.

We don't really know if it has anything to do with Barber. TB is an involved owner who sets budgets, wage structures and the like.

CH will have a set of targets, the recruitment team will have a whole list of other possibilities, but ultimately if a player is a) too expensive for our budget, or b) demands wages in excess of our structure, then that is down to how TB is choosing to run the club. If that is the case, then he still has my full support, but it really is ridiculous to blame Barber when he's not ultimately calling the shots.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
No more 10/13m pound players please.Let's not try to be cute and think we are going to get a gem for that money.Our signings have done ok and Gross in comparison to his cost has exceeded but we need more.We need to survive and so need to take it to the next level.A striker worth minimum of 20m.

Tony Bloom can either be careful with his money and spend 10m risking all the millions a season in the Prem next year would bring,or he can splash the cash and take a chance with the reward being all that money.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Our policy of defending corners with all ten outfield players back is clearly not working well enough. So time to do what we should always be doing, leave at least one, maybe two players on/near the halfway line ready for a breakaway when the ball is cleared. And forcing the opposition to leave two or three players back in their own half. Surely a less crowded penalty is a benefit to the defending team.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
A few posts back there was a lot written about the number of Clubs who have conceded fewer goals than us. True. We should be concentrating more on the number of Clubs who have scored more than us

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
buck-stops.jpg

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Our policy of defending corners with all ten outfield players back is clearly not working well enough. So time to do what we should always be doing, leave at least one, maybe two players on/near the halfway line ready for a breakaway when the ball is cleared. And forcing the opposition to leave two or three players back in their own half. Surely a less crowded penalty is a benefit to the defending team.

This appears to be the popular approach to defending corners. Only a couple of clubs leave 1 or 2 players on the halfway line. For the likes of The Albion this tactic means the ball is cleared (hopefully) but comes straight back at us. The likes of Man City and Liverpool have players with incredible pace to chase the clearance so it isn't such an issue for them. We have nobody with enough pace to chase down a clearance-especially if they are on the goal line like AK seems to be assigned to be.

Still, what do I know?

What is being done right now isn't working effectively so why not try something different, even if only for a couple of games?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

It’s so annoying. Hughton even got asked about it at the fans forum and he said he wouldn’t change it

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It’s so annoying. Hughton even got asked about it at the fans forum and he said he wouldn’t change it

Yes, it really is getting annoying. I'm camp Hughton - he's a brilliant manager for us, and I want him here next season regardless - but I just wish Tony would/could have a word with him about this. Penalty area so crowded that our defenders whose job it is can't get to the ball (and absolutely no room for Ryan to come and collect it), and clearances bouncing back off our own players and ricocheting to attackers - I know Hughton knows infinitely more about football, and defending in particular, than any of us on NSC, but it really does look as if he has a blind spot here.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Now it's been a couple days since my last controversial thread. See here http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?360347-Is-this-it-for-Chris-Time-for-Hughton-to-go

But Iv'e been doing alot of thinking and I'll put my hands up and admit I can be a total spanner at times and i apologise. Looking back i see how tough CH has it with the tools (finances) amongst other things he has been given to work with. In truth he's doing a fantastic job with the limits he has in place compared to other manager and would be an honour to keep him around even if relegation happens. I would also like to formally apologise for allowing myself to get worked up and firing off on a rant when i hadent thought about it properly.

Though another thing that had got me thinking is where does the buck stop. Could it be down to one thing or a few things? With the Team, Winstanley, Coaches or dare i say uncle Tony?

No this no way means I'm pointing fingers but the buck has to stop somewhere.

Oh and before i finish. FYI I am a Brighton and Hove Albion fan for the last time. My first game was Brighton Vs Barnet at their ground when Emeka Ifejiagwa scored that thunderbolt for us.

You're enjoying these threads aren't you :lolol:

where does the buck stop? It stops with the Premier league being a bloody difficult league to play in. It stops with every single newly-promoted team being in a relegation battle from day one. Relegation is ASSUMED the moment we get promoted. Therefore being 16th in the premier league isn't a situation where we say 'whose fault is this', its a situation where we say 'who do we commend for this?' And for that, I'll point fingers at the Team, Winstanley, Coaches and uncle Tony.

You like to look at the negatives, I can see that. The problem is probably your expectations, you clearly thought we'd be cruising along in mid-table, top-half, perhaps flirting with the europa league spots whilst having a nice cup run, with a 15-goal striker and going away to Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford and picking up a famous win or two away at one of the big boys. So you simply need to consider that the buck stops with your own personal expectations. Premier-league new-boys don't do that sort of thing. Most of us get relegated. Staying up would be an amazing achievement. Its almost unheard of for all three new-boys to stay up, ao true to expectations, us, Hudds, and Newcastle are gathering near the bottom. This WILL be a battle to stay up. Think along those lines and you can enjoy this season.

Yep, you really should enjoy this season as it is one of the very best in our entire history, to be competing in this league is amazing, it won't last for ever. We will get relegated, whether this season or the next or the one after that, maybe in five or six years, but it will happen. So don't blink and miss this one. Fans of Blackpool, and Derby, and Reading, and Hull, and Barnsley, and Bradford, and Cardiff, and Portsmouth, and Swindon, and Oldham, and Sheffield United, and Wigan, and Ipswich, and QPR, and Charlton, and Birmingham and so on and and so on, they'd all love to be where we are, they had a moment or two, some for several seasons, and now its faded, many are a long way away from the premier league now. They'd love to be where we are. Don't lose sight of that.

Why don't you look at Burnley? Their first season in the premier league ended in relegation. Their second season in the premier league ended in just staying up after a season-long scrap. Their third season in the premier league is going rather well. The lesson - we're still on the journey. Throwing our toys out of the pram and pointing fingers at everyone in our club because we had the temerity to lose a premier league away game to a team below us in the league - that smacks of entitlement. There must have been similarly impatient Burnley fans doing that to Dyche and their squad and their chairman in 2015 when they got relegated, and they'll be looking very foolish now.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

This appears to be the popular approach to defending corners. Only a couple of clubs leave 1 or 2 players on the halfway line. For the likes of The Albion this tactic means the ball is cleared (hopefully) but comes straight back at us. The likes of Man City and Liverpool have players with incredible pace to chase the clearance so it isn't such an issue for them. We have nobody with enough pace to chase down a clearance-especially if they are on the goal line like AK seems to be assigned to be.

Still, what do I know?

What is being done right now isn't working effectively so why not try something different, even if only for a couple of games?

It annoys me as well. Look at it logically. If we were to put 1 player on the half way line when defending corners, the opposition would feel obliged to put 2 defenders back there to cover him, especially is it's some fast like Knockaert. This immediately gives us a numerical advantage in the box.

Take it stage further, why not put 2 or 3 up there? Yes, it limits our players in OUR box, but we'd only put the players on the halfway line that are less useful defending corners. So, let's say for arguments sake we decide to put 2 up front. I'd chose Knockaert and probably March/Izquierdo, both shorter than average but if we clear the ball will be able to out pace most defenders. This will then force a minimum of 3 defenders back there. This clears space in the box, and leaves only the players best suited to defending corners back there.

Win / Win.

It seems higher risk, but it removes the crowding that stops Dunk / Duffy / Ryan getting a run at the ball, plus it immediately gives us a numerical advantage, plus the opposition have to work out which players to drop back to cover.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What buck?

The chairman continues to do the best he can for the club, we’re in the PL with an amazing set up, we might go down but we’re in a far better place than we’ve been for the entirety of our history.

Just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

Follow That Seagull

Nov 4, 2017
Somewhere in Sussex
I guess the OP making almost 50 posts sniping about BHA in just about every one isn't really enough. One quick five second look down his posting history and it screams Palace the whole way and I'm rarely even on here any more.

Cheeky Monkey. I don't know what it is that is so convincing to you that i'm a palace fan. But i'm not. Just get over it. If you don't like the threads i post, then don't reply and ignore. This little vendetta you seem to have with me comes across as petty. Also when addressing me, please use the correct prefix. It's SHE not HE. I'm think from this point forward though. I'm just going to ninja it so to speak and just post on threads. Save's a lot of trouble in the long run.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
We don't really know if it has anything to do with Barber. TB is an involved owner who sets budgets, wage structures and the like.

CH will have a set of targets, the recruitment team will have a whole list of other possibilities, but ultimately if a player is a) too expensive for our budget, or b) demands wages in excess of our structure, then that is down to how TB is choosing to run the club. If that is the case, then he still has my full support, but it really is ridiculous to blame Barber when he's not ultimately calling the shots.

Ok - so what is Barber paid to do then. If TB does all the above?

A glorified ops guy? On his salary?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

This is a problem many have identified. And its simply down to the maths.

If we leave two players around the halfway line when we are defending set pieces, the opposition has to leave probably three players back to cover. That means they have six in the box. If we cram eleven players in the box, they can then have all of their outfield players in attacking positions.

6 v 9 or 10 v 11?

If we win the first header, the ball invariably falls to an opposing player and they are still on the attack and keeping us under pressure. We never seem to have the "out ball".

And in any event, the number of goals we are conceding from set pieces shows that the tactic of having all 11 players in the box is not working. And I find the ..is it arrogance...of refusing to change something that is clearly not working somewhat disturbing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Would love his job.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought he spent most of his time answering emails received from the offended/disgusted ‘snowflakes’ who had a cold pie, didn’t read the ST T&Cs, had someone swearing in front of them or took more than 30 mins to get out of the car park..........

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here