Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where does the buck stop?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Perhaps we should ask B'muff. They seem to pick up decent goal scorers/other players at will at not fantastic cost.

Go on then, Bournemouth is a much more attractive club to sign for in terms of a striker than us. With a defensive minded manager, a players value and future could tank here on his two or three chances a game. yes we have a great stadium, training facility and great support, but our tactics and record at scoring goals are poor, strikers graveyard, we need to see a change, I can't see any incoming player of any worth coming here during the window.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
Go on then, Bournemouth is a much more attractive club to sign for in terms of a striker than us. With a defensive minded manager, a players value and future could tank here on his two or three chances a game. yes we have a great stadium, training facility and great support, but our tactics and record at scoring goals are poor, strikers graveyard, we need to see a change, I can't see any incoming player of any worth coming here during the window.

:ffsparr:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
You said "appalling defending, especially set pieces". I'm making the point that apart from set pieces, our defending has been world class. With only six teams conceding fewer goals (and that includes the set pieces) or defending cannot be described as appalling. Incredibly. Despite being seventh best in the Premier League. It could still be considerably improved by sorting out the set pieces. That impressed the crap out of me.

Teams don't need to bother scoring from open play when they all they need to concentrate on is winning corners or free kicks around our penalty area.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Now it's been a couple days since my last controversial thread. See here http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?360347-Is-this-it-for-Chris-Time-for-Hughton-to-go

But Iv'e been doing alot of thinking and I'll put my hands up and admit I can be a total spanner at times and i apologise. Looking back i see how tough CH has it with the tools (finances) amongst other things he has been given to work with. In truth he's doing a fantastic job with the limits he has in place compared to other manager and would be an honour to keep him around even if relegation happens. I would also like to formally apologise for allowing myself to get worked up and firing off on a rant when i hadent thought about it properly.

Though another thing that had got me thinking is where does the buck stop. Could it be down to one thing or a few things? With the Team, Winstanley, Coaches or dare i say uncle Tony?

No this no way means I'm pointing fingers but the buck has to stop somewhere.

Oh and before i finish. FYI I am a Brighton and Hove Albion fan for the last time. My first game was Brighton Vs Barnet at their ground when Emeka Ifejiagwa scored that thunderbolt for us.

There is no buck, there is no stopping.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Did you miss the bit about having the seventh best defence in the Premier League, in it first season?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

er....no...but that's really a bit misleading isn't it? We are the second lowest scorers in the division after Swansea so teams only need to score 1 or 2 goals against us and chances are they'll win and as it is, relatively and statistically speaking, easier for them to score from set pieces its pretty obvious that they should get for as many corners and free kicks as possible.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven

Errr Bournemouth is a 'shithole' of a ground, gates of 12 - 15K, why ever would you choose THAT over Brighton, a 30K sell out decent ground and the Sussex Downs?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ok - so what is Barber paid to do then. If TB does all the above?

A glorified ops guy? On his salary?

His main role will be to drive revenue streams and keep running costs down I would think. His salary is no doubt earned as far as TB is concerned, by the levels of income generated from whatever source, from merchandise, match days, hospitality, media, sponsorship, as well as keeping the outgoings efficient. That is a huge amount of money he is responsible for, a large number of staff and service contracts to deal with. Is he worth it? I presume the balance sheet is TB's judge of that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A CEO is the person ultimately responsible for the day to day running of a business not a Chairman.

All departments at BHA report in to PB, whether that’s media, accounting or player recruitment.

We know Bloom likes to be involved but I don’t think Barber would have lasted as long as he has if he was just a mouthpiece.

In the scheme of the thread though, there are a number of parties who have a hand in where we are in the table and our decision who to sign.

However one thing I would say is that if any striker has watched us play recently and sees the complete lack of service to the front players, they would undoubtedly be put off and therefore we shouldn’t be surprised we aren’t getting anywhere and ultimately that’s the managers fault for the tactics the team is adopting.

I don't disagree, but TB will set whether we have a salary cap / wage structure or not, and likely TB sets the transfer budget. Yes, all the runnings will be down to PB, but if salary and transfer size are the issue preventing us from closing a deal, then that cannot be very well blamed on PB imho.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is there evidence that any of those teams invested significantly more than us in their first year in the premier league?

Plenty of proof. Sauce: Companies House.

Watford first PL season: increase in TV money £75m, whilst payroll increased by £37m and £64m was spent on new players transfer fees = £101m new playing investment.

Bmuff: £75m in, against £30m additional payroll and £70m transfer fees spent = £100m investment.

Stains: £41m in, against £17m additional payroll and £43m on new players = £60m investment.

Relative to their new TV incomes, they all clearly spent heavily in their first season, to secure access to the riches for the second season and beyond.

The Albion have had £100m minimum additional TV money this season.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
PL football season after season, with the huge wages that come with that?

When we lose potential signings to the likes of Burnley and Bournemouth in the PL and previously to Norwich and Birmingham then it is clear that The Amex, Lancing and The South Downs isn't quite the magnet lots on here think it is. The most powerful magnet The Albion has is Premier League money. If Dunk gets an offer to double his wages by going to somebody like Liverpool he will likely be gone in a heartbeat. He won't say to Liverpool "I've thought about it. Thanks for the flattering offer but I want to stay where I can see The Downs". Modern day football is all about the money so we need to stay up just to tread water retaining players.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Plenty of proof. Sauce: Companies House.

Watford first PL season: increase in TV money £75m, whilst payroll increased by £37m and £64m was spent on new players transfer fees = £101m new playing investment.

Bmuff: £75m in, against £30m additional payroll and £70m transfer fees spent = £100m investment.

Stains: £41m in, against £17m additional payroll and £43m on new players = £60m investment.

Relative to their new TV incomes, they all clearly spent heavily in their first season, to secure access to the riches for the second season and beyond.

The Albion have had £100m minimum additional TV money this season.

If the dutch guy had of been signed wouldn't our figures of been comparable with Stains and Watford

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Nobody to blame really and the two things that are worrying is lack of goals and struggling to recruit a half decent striker.
Most know that playing too defensive in this league means relegation is very much nailed on and maybe CH has done this because our forward line is top 6 championship at best.

Still time but we need to attack and look to win games instead of playing for draws and sitting back when winning.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Whoever authorised these alleged 'Must be the highest earner' contracts.

Makes it too difficult to bring in a striker.

We'll have to start moving out the players on these contracts in the summer.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Errr Bournemouth is a 'shithole' of a ground, gates of 12 - 15K, why ever would you choose THAT over Brighton, a 30K sell out decent ground and the Sussex Downs?

I'm sure all potential strikers would take time to look at the Sussex Downs and play in a 30k capacity ground, but it might depend on what division they are playing in, how the team is structured and whether they have an eye on their future. Jermaine Defoe clearly not interested looking at the scenery or where he plays his football. Its everyones favourite radio station when it comes to transfers WIIFM, whats in it for me, you're a little niaive if what you have offered makes you believe we can attract top players on the basis of what you have said.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here