Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where does the buck stop?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm sure all potential strikers would take time to look at the Sussex Downs and play in a 30k capacity ground, but it might depend on what division they are playing in, how the team is structured and whether they have an eye on their future. Jermaine Defoe clearly not interested looking at the scenery or where he plays his football. Its everyones favourite radio station when it comes to transfers WIIFM, whats in it for me, you're a little niaive if what you have offered makes you believe we can attract top players on the basis of what you have said.

Defoe won't win trophies at either club, so it boils down to money and location.

Bmuff and Brighton are both fair accessible to other places, especially as Defoe hasn't exactly got to travel (by McLaren or helicopter) in rush hours.

It was well documented that Bmuff paid many millions in a signing on fee, and many millions more in wages. That sealed the deal.

Brighton would never have taken that risk with its first and possibly last £100m windfall.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
His main role will be to drive revenue streams and keep running costs down I would think. His salary is no doubt earned as far as TB is concerned, by the levels of income generated from whatever source, from merchandise, match days, hospitality, media, sponsorship, as well as keeping the outgoings efficient. That is a huge amount of money he is responsible for, a large number of staff and service contracts to deal with. Is he worth it? I presume the balance sheet is TB's judge of that.

The balance sheet isn't really relevant though in the greater scheme of things. Everything you list is a line item compared with the capital outlay required to buy a new striker. TB could put this in as equity if he really wanted to as he dictates the value of the business.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The balance sheet isn't really relevant though in the greater scheme of things. Everything you list is a line item compared with the capital outlay required to buy a new striker. TB could put this in as equity if he really wanted to as he dictates the value of the business.

Exactly, down to TB really, that was my point.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Now it's been a couple days since my last controversial thread. See here http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?360347-Is-this-it-for-Chris-Time-for-Hughton-to-go

But Iv'e been doing alot of thinking and I'll put my hands up and admit I can be a total spanner at times and i apologise. Looking back i see how tough CH has it with the tools (finances) amongst other things he has been given to work with. In truth he's doing a fantastic job with the limits he has in place compared to other manager and would be an honour to keep him around even if relegation happens. I would also like to formally apologise for allowing myself to get worked up and firing off on a rant when i hadent thought about it properly.

Though another thing that had got me thinking is where does the buck stop. Could it be down to one thing or a few things? With the Team, Winstanley, Coaches or dare i say uncle Tony?

No this no way means I'm pointing fingers but the buck has to stop somewhere.

Oh and before i finish. FYI I am a Brighton and Hove Albion fan for the last time. My first game was Brighton Vs Barnet at their ground when Emeka Ifejiagwa scored that thunderbolt for us.

I think the buck stops ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................here!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So who would you recommend signing? How much should we pay and what would an acceptable wage be? Are you suggesting that we are deliberately not signing a striker? Thats hard to believe.

Tony Bloom is where the buck stops.
You would have thought, with the pool of talent on NSC, that insists it’s easy to sign twenty goal a season striker, that he would have the sense to employ these people, who are so obviously well versed in the art of finding, and then signing players that the whole of the rest of football has missed.
I can’t believe he is so short sighted.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Its a team effort - but every team needs a leader

Ours is clearly CH on the football side of things - ably assisted by PB and TB as and when required

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I was very critical of CH after the West Brom and Southampton games. We were playing so badly and our negativity was really costing us. Something changed. I wonder whether things were said in the dressing room. Whatever did happen, I’m very pleased that we turned it around and glad CH is still st the helm.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here