Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Can you see Hughton falling on his sword if we fail to get new players in this window?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
only my opinion but I strongly feel that the signing of players should have been in the first few days of January in which case we may have gained more points against teams around us in the table. I can only assume that it is down to going rate and the price that we are reluctant to pay.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Nor am I but plenty are and the numbers seem to be rising.

As performances get worse and results are poor then that's what happens in football-fans get increasingly frustrated, then angry, then militant. I think we are on the cusp between frustration and anger right now. A couple of wins, no matter how flukey, will change the dynamic again. That is the life of professional football and its supporters.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Yes we can. But we've already been to late against Bournemouth (yes I know...), West Brom and running out of time to get any kind of training in against Chelsea.

Of course. I know. I'd have liked us to have it all wrapped up by Jan 1st as well - but simply no club is going to get all their transfer business done by mid January, even clubs looking to stay up and sign a striker. We all know that really. So to call the current window an omnishambles as SB did up there, or start fretting about whether CH is going to resign or should resign because of it - ie: this thread and others like em, is fine - its what NSC is about - but i can't help but say its all a bit premature. As are those writing off the season already. I mean come on.
Hudds signed Pritchard and lost 4-1 at home on Saturday, Everton played their new £25m striker on Saturday and looked feeble losing 4-0 so new signings aren't a panacea either.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes we can. But we've already been to late against Bournemouth (yes I know...), West Brom and running out of time to get any kind of training in against Chelsea.

Let's not forget, although I know almost everybody hasn't, THE signing ought to have been on hold since 01.09.17.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Let's not forget, although I know almost everybody hasn't, THE signing ought to have been on hold since 01.09.17.

Because it assumes that nothing else has changed in the mean time. Tell us how Andone, Babocar, Dwamena etc are getting on and all the other targets from the sumer - there's a rather good thread i could recommend that tracks this :) - and whether you'd still be as keen to sign em or whether you'd be keen to come to the Albion given their game time, goals scored, manager changes, other offers and cough times they've been subbed on after 70 mins.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
What did people expect from our first season in the PL ? Europe ffs. So many new annoying bedwetting fans.

Nowhere is anybody wanting Europe this season, or for the next however many seasons, probably never unless via a flukey cup win. Why start resorting to name calling? New Bedwetting fans ffs? I see long term Albion fans questioning tactics on the field and an apparent lack of urgency in recruiting off the field. That is not Bedwetting is it? Too many wearing blue and white tinted glasses who can't see that we are looking likely to blow a golden opportunity by sleepwalking back into The Championship. The Championship that gets harder and harder to get out of; at the top end anyway. We need to stay up! None of us know what's going on behind the scenes but many are concerned about a re-run of the September window.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
CH understands the Championship.He's very good in it therefore we need him for when we go down.

He can still stop us going down. That should be the objective! Or have I been Whooshed again? It's hard to tell lately.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not sure a few archair managers on here demonstrates an 'undercurrent of dissatisfaction' and indicates that the fans are starting to turn on CH.

I think you may have jumped the gun by some distance on that one. As that needless poll suggests.

The last few away games have seen a lot of negativity in the away end and chants of Attack, Attack, Attack etc. I hate it - but it is there, and experience tells me that it can turn very quickly. As long as we're above the bottom 3 the majority will rightly continue to back Hughton but if we slip into the bottom 3 the negativity is only going to increase.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I don't think he's a quitter, so I doubt he will.... yet.

Maybe at the end of the season if he feels let down by the recruitment.

We'd get Jones in if that happens.

Maybe we should get Jones back anyway? As coach or assistant manager? He seems to know that attack is (generally) the best form of defence. That attitude might get us out of trouble!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm not sure a few archair managers on here demonstrates an 'undercurrent of dissatisfaction' and indicates that the fans are starting to turn on CH.

I think you may have jumped the gun by some distance on that one. As that needless poll suggests.

It is more than a few, mainly expressing their concerns about his team selections and tactics. All reasonable concerns in my opinion. We played WBA looking like we were going to lose. Meanwhile, Bournemouth try the damage limitation thing for a while. Until Arsenal scored, then they changed gear and battered Arsenal into conceding 2 goals. We NEVER look likely to come from behind to win this season. That is mainly down to coaching and tactics. Who is responsible for that? No wonder he is beginning to come under pressure from supporters. Even if we were to bring in he players we need, if we continue trying not to lose then it will be a wast of time and money. Away to Bournemouth in the League. We were well on top, scored a deserved goal and then stopped attacking. Then they did to us exactly what they did to Arsenal yesterday. Two quick goals and we were done for. Change venue and we did the same at home.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I firmly believe had the club bought a (the) striker, in the Summer most if not all problems that have been encountered this season, would not have materialised.

I'm not talking about some mythical Messiesque beast here either, just a player with a bit of pace, mobility and intelligence.

Even if they had only generated a half a dozen extra goals, those goals I believe would have gone someway to making the wingers more effective, taken some workload off Gross and given Propper a little more freedom to follow attacks to their penalty area.

As said earlier though, let's not forget CH is firmly at the centre of the recruitment team, it's not a separate entity that can be blamed for all things wrong.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Is the right answer unequivocally.

So you think he has the right tactics to keep us up? Norwich let him go when they were 5 points above the drop but the freefalling had been going for a while. The momentum was downward. Just as it is with us. I like him, he's a decent human being, got us promoted (albeit minus the title which was ours to lose) but unless he changes things he is taking us down and I am not happy at that prospect. That's not moaning. It's not Bedwetting as some of the people like to call it. It is looking at what is happening right now. Not last August but now and it isn't fun right now.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I firmly believe had the club bought a (the) striker, in the Summer most if not all problems that have been encountered this season, would not have materialised.

I'm not talking about some mythical Messiesque beast here either, just a player with a bit of pace, mobility and intelligence.

Even if they had only generated a half a dozen extra goals, those goals I believe would have gone someway to making the wingers more effective, taken some workload off Gross and given Propper a little more freedom to follow attacks to their penalty area.

As said earlier though, let's not forget CH is firmly at the centre of the recruitment team, it's not a separate entity that can be blamed for all things wrong.

A much more succinct way of putting things than my contribution(s).

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So you think he has the right tactics to keep us up? Norwich let him go when they were 5 points above the drop but the freefalling had been going for a while. The momentum was downward. Just as it is with us. I like him, he's a decent human being, got us promoted (albeit minus the title which was ours to lose) but unless he changes things he is taking us down and I am not happy at that prospect. That's not moaning. It's not Bedwetting as some of the people like to call it. It is looking at what is happening right now. Not last August but now and it isn't fun right now.

The longer this season has gone on, what was a teeny tiny whisper in the back of my head, when the fixture list was announced, is rapidly becoming a fog horn blasting out the word:-

NOR.... ....WICH.

Thankfully it'll not happen here, but I'm beginning to see why it happened there.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
1. CH didn't fail to get the signings. It was a collective from the Board, Winstanley and Winstanley's team.

2. CH has been a brilliant coach and manager for us. The football from Jan 15 to Apr 17 was the best I've seen by Albion teams, other than say the Mullery version 1976 to 1979.

If we fail to buy in quality forwards with pace and goals in this window and go down, the inquest by the club should seriously look elsewhere at the recruitment fiasco.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I was annoyed at the team selection away at Spurs. We have improved our passing and ball retention since then.

WBA defeat was just disappointing, but it it just makes like more difficult. It will not be the reason we go down.

It will be

1) can't defend corners, free kicks and simple crosses
2) can't shoot for toffee or head on target (all players)
3) too many home points dropped
4) hopeless at scoring from corners

With CH it is either assured confidence or apparent complacency. Take your chocie.

A striker would help but not enough on its own.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here