Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Cyrille Regis dies

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
59 is not an age to be dying from a heart attack unless you have a genetic problem.Whenever I hear of someone this 'young' dying from one I think it could well have been avoided had that person had regular check ups or better still their own blood pressure monitor at home.You can get them for as little as £30.Taking a one off reading at your doctor's does not give a true reading.Taking regular readings at home and taking an average reading from them all does.Exercise is important too of course.Men need to start looking after themselves.

I remember Regis from back in the day.Probably one of the best known players from his day.What a loss at a stupid age.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Yes, a famous name as my interest in football grew as a child. I thought he was just a great footballer in a very good WBA side. Totally innocent of how his path to that accolade was so much harder than others. RIP Too great, too young.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Blimey that is a shock

Great old fashioned centre forward

Never forget the game at old Trafford when WBA scored 5

RIP Cyrille

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
What depressing news on a depressing day. Loved watching WBA during his era, a proper football team who played in the way the game should be played. And a great ambassador for anti-rascism at a time when it was really terrible.

RIP Cyril.

He became only the third black player to be capped by England when made his debut in a 4-0 win over Northern Ireland in the Home International Championship at Wembley, coming on for Trevor Francis.

On a slight change of subject (no disrespect meant) but if I remembered this match correctly we had one on each side, namely Fozzie and Sammy Nelson

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
59 is not an age to be dying from a heart attack unless you have a genetic problem.Whenever I hear of someone this 'young' dying from one I think it could well have been avoided had that person had regular check ups or better still their own blood pressure monitor at home.You can get them for as little as £30.Taking a one off reading at your doctor's does not give a true reading.Taking regular readings at home and taking an average reading from them all does.Exercise is important too of course.Men need to start looking after themselves.

I remember Regis from back in the day.Probably one of the best known players from his day.What a loss at a stupid age.

They said he was going to attend an appointment for an ECG in the next few days so was obviously in the middle of tests

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
In the away end on Saturday I couldn't help but notice the massive picture of him, in the stand to our right. I was thinking about him, his pace and power and what he brought to a side and how much a centre forward like that would be worth today. ( Think of Lukaku, but better ) And now I have just read this news and I cannot believe that he has gone.
RIP to a very good footballer and a man of quiet dignity.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Very sad news. I just heard a devastated Deon Dublin on Radio Five Live describing what a hero and mentor he was to that era of young black footballers. He could hardly speak he was so upset. A great man by all accounts and gone far too soon. RIP

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When you think of the first black players to make an impression in English football you think of Clyde Best, Laurie Cunningham, Viv Anderson and Brendan Batson, but I would say Cyrille Regis was the first physical, athletic black goalscorer to explode onto the scene.

He was awesome and how he only got 5 caps God only knows. RIP Cyrille - a genuine football legend.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In the away end on Saturday I couldn't help but notice the massive picture of him, in the stand to our right. I was thinking about him, his pace and power and what he brought to a side and how much a centre forward like that would be worth today. ( Think of Lukaku, but better ) And now I have just read this news and I cannot believe that he has gone.
RIP to a very good footballer and a man of quiet dignity.
Indeed a legend in his time. RIP Cyrille.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
football-cover_1_3-page-001.jpg

:bowdown:

LeTiss

May 20, 2010
Southwater, Horsham
Can remember going to Selhurst standing in the away end supporting West Brom for the day. The big fella came up trumps to score the winner with a neat header to beat the enemy. RIP

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
When you think of the first black players to make an impression in English football you think of Clyde Best, Laurie Cunningham, Viv Anderson and Brendan Batson, but I would say Cyrille Regis was the first physical, athletic black goalscorer to explode onto the scene.

He was awesome and how he only got 5 caps God only knows. RIP Cyrille - a genuine football legend.

Probably because the First Division had a lot of English forwards in those days. Paul Mariner was preferred as a partner to Keegan. Bob Latchford, Tony Woodcock. Them were the days. A great player like Regis was one of a number. Doubt we can say that again.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here