[Football] Cyrille Regis dies

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
[/B]

Probably because the First Division had a lot of English forwards in those days. Paul Mariner was preferred as a partner to Keegan. Bob Latchford, Tony Woodcock. Them were the days. A great player like Regis was one of a number. Doubt we can say that again.
Latchford, Mariner and Woodcock were a great trio of rubbish non-scoring English centre forwards. How any of them kept getting picked time and again for doing absolutely nothing, whereas someone like Regis couldn't get a look in, I could never understand at the time (unless it was due to his colour).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Latchford, Mariner and Woodcock were a great trio of rubbish non-scoring English centre forwards. How any of them kept getting picked time and again for doing absolutely nothing, whereas someone like Regis couldn't get a look in, I could never understand at the time (unless it was due to his colour).

34 goals in 89 appearances between them.

I forgot Trevor Francis- who, in fairness, was a bit over hyped at international level mainly due to his club form.

I'm pretty sure colour wasn't an issue in Regis selection. Viv Anderson was already there. Gary Birtles was a similar player who barely got a look in.

Last edited:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
No plans for a countrywide minutes silence/applause for Cyrille Regis from the FA/Premier League

Football chiefs are under increasing pressure to honour legend Cyrille Regis this weekend – after telling the Express & Star there would be no league-wide tribute to the former striker.

Hopefully the club will still do something before the game.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Those ITK can we make sure that we h e a tribute tomorrow before the televised game? It would be a great shame in football if this didn’t happen.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Certainly his 'colour'. My how things have changed. Completely no longer an issue. But even as late as the Venables era it was whispered that it wouldn't be 'appropriate' to have 'too many' black players in the squad. I have heard this discussed on radio 5. Unattributable quotes. Attached is the Euro 96 squad. Three black players only. WTF?

96 squad.JPG

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Premier league have been embarrassed into announcing a minute applause before all games this weekend. Should think so too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here