Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
"You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - RODRIGUEZ CHARGED

Hasn't Bong said that he asked him to repeat it, which he then did?

Yep. That’s the damning part as it rules out mishearing what was said.

Who knows? I assume the FA must have some sort of evidence to consider this worth a charge. And I don’t believe for a second that Bong will have gone out of his way to make this up (unless he has some incredibly deep-seated and hitherto well-hidden grudge against Jay Rodriguez, which also seems unlikely).

While this would be terrible for Rodriguez if he had been falsely accused, his reaction seems slightly odd. If it were a case of misinterpretation, would it not be more logical to be conciliatory towards Bong, try to explain that it was all a misunderstanding and make it clear you’re horrified someone mistakenly thinks you’re racist? Rather than aggressively insist it’s all a lie....

Seagull85

Apr 21, 2009
Referring to Rodriguez's gesture, Bong told SFR Sport: "He did that because of the colour of my skin. Everybody can see this gesture. And I asked him to repeat what he said.

"At this moment, I think he realised what he said. And he tried to limit the damage."

In a statement released following the FA charge, West Brom's director of football administration Richard Garlick defended Rodriguez.

"As a club we remain fully supportive and committed to backing Jay throughout this process," Garlick said.

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/fa...r-incident-brightons-bong#Sdt2z8l4mGt1qZvh.99

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

That quote is different from the quote sourced from the Independent, which says:

“I looked for the referee to tell him. First the referee told me to get back in position. I didn’t accept that so easily. I am a black man. We’re in 2018 and we cannot tolerate this. I hope there will be sanctions.’

Bong later added: “He did that because of the colour of my skin. I asked him to repeat what he said and I think he realised what he said and tried to limit the damage. And I replied to him: No, what you said was racist.

“At the end of the game he tried to say: No I didn’t say that. But I said: You can’t say that. Not to a human being. And most of all not to a black man, at this period, with everything that is happening in the world.”

This suggests that Rodriguez didn't repeat the alleged remarks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...west-brom-vs-brighton-fa-charge-a8201326.html

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That quote is different from the quote sourced from the Independent, which says:

This suggests that Rodriguez didn't repeat the alleged remarks.
If Hungry Joe's quote is accurate, then Bong is saying he repeated it. If Bong also said, in another interview “I asked him to repeat what he said and I think he realised what he said and tried to limit the damage." that does not mean he didn't repeat it, he repeated it and also at the same time realised what he had done, and then went on to try and limit the damage.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
If Hungry Joe's quote is accurate, then Bong is saying he repeated it. If Bong also said, in another interview “I asked him to repeat what he said and I think he realised what he said and tried to limit the damage." that does not mean he didn't repeat it, he repeated it and also at the same time realised what he had done, and then went on to try and limit the damage.

What? It's the same interview quoted differently. If he tried to limit the damage then of course that suggests he didn't repeat what was alleged to have been originally said. He repeated something else, as Bong suggests.

He did that because of the colour of my skin. I asked him to repeat what he said and I think he realised what he said and tried to limit the damage. And I replied to him: No, what you said was racist.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Reckon the racist wanker (ok, allegedly for now, if we must) had a sudden realisation that much of his unearned earnings may be shortly about to evaporate (hi Chedwyn, how's things going down there?). If found guilty the **** should be unceremoniously sacked by WBA for, if nothing else, besmirching the name of Cyrille Regis while paying lip service to the club's tributes to a player Rodriquez isn't fit to lick the boots of.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Richbaggie

Feb 9, 2018
Hi all

Baggies fan here, with a peace pipe in hand :)

Firstly, no matter which club you support, what a rubbish situation we find ourselves in. There isn't an outcome that I can see that will have a happy ending.

Secondly, if Rodriguez has said the alleged words he has been charged with, then he should get whatever the FA can throw at him. No question.

But, and there is a big but here. Until this is proven beyond doubt, he is still innocent and deserves a fair hearing just as anyone should receive.

When I first heard what Bong alleged Rodriguez has said, my first thought was surely he has misheard what was said. Does this sound like anything anyone would say, let alone a racist.

"You're black, and your breath stinks"

Seriously, cast team loyalties aside, does that sound realistic that anyone would form that sort of sentence?

It's pure guesswork but my guess has always been that Bong has at best, misheard words or at worst putvsome extra spin on Rodriguez petulant and childish hand movement and you stink words.

My guess is we will never know for sure and unless there is corroborating evidence for Bong or Rodriguez, this will end in ultimate stalemate and everyone will end up dissatisfied with the whole sorry affair.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

The second source is the same qoute as the Independent article I referenced where it indicates Rodriguez did not repeat what was alleged to have been said, but something else. The first link is translated differently and unclear, but I would trust SFR's translation more as they are the original source. I'm not fluent in French to confirm.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't. It's been explained to me that saying allegedly doesn't stop comments being libelous. If you don't remove your comment, a mod probably will. I'm trying to do you a favour here.

Doubt that somehow. Seem to recall you being a Chedwyn Fanboy back in the day. Feel free to report my post if it floats your boat. Tho maybe mods should lock the entire thread on that basis.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here