Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If the FAs standard of proof is higher than they had for Lukakus kick up the arse on Bong, to charge Rodriguez, I reckon they've got him bang to rights

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Have you got a link? There's one link where he was interviewed on a French show and he didn't say it then. Also, when watching the actual footage, there doesn't seem to be time between when Rodriguez makes the comment and gesture, and Bong goes to the ref, for Bong to ask him to repeat it and Jay repeat it.

That quote is in the Birmingham Mail article, which provides a slightly different translation of the original SRF interview:

"I asked him to repeat it. I think at the moment he repeated it he realised what he had said.

"He wanted to limit the damage. I said no. I made it known what he had said was racist and I wouldn't let it pass.

"I called to the ref and said what he had said and the gesture.

"At the end he wanted to say, 'No, I didn't say that' but I said 'You don’t say that to a human being and to a black man'.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp...ews/jay-rodriguez-charge-gaetan-bong-14152258

A longer quote provides a slightly different context.

Richbaggie

Feb 9, 2018
Hello.

Indeed.

Yes, sadly it does. Not saying he did say it, or that it matters what club either player plays for, but yes, a person could say that.

Fair enough if you think that. I think it's a very strange sledge. It would normally have an adjective or noun alongside it.

Richbaggie

Feb 9, 2018
I have seen plenty on my own Twitter timeline and on the message board I moderate on that think Bong misheard.

I agree about the abuse. However, Twitter is a sesspit at times and it's not representative of the vast majority of Albion fans.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hi all

Baggies fan here, with a peace pipe in hand :)

Firstly, no matter which club you support, what a rubbish situation we find ourselves in. There isn't an outcome that I can see that will have a happy ending.

Secondly, if Rodriguez has said the alleged words he has been charged with, then he should get whatever the FA can throw at him. No question.

But, and there is a big but here. Until this is proven beyond doubt, he is still innocent and deserves a fair hearing just as anyone should receive.

When I first heard what Bong alleged Rodriguez has said, my first thought was surely he has misheard what was said. Does this sound like anything anyone would say, let alone a racist.

"You're black, and your breath stinks"

Seriously, cast team loyalties aside, does that sound realistic that anyone would form that sort of sentence?

It's pure guesswork but my guess has always been that Bong has at best, misheard words or at worst putvsome extra spin on Rodriguez petulant and childish hand movement and you stink words.

My guess is we will never know for sure and unless there is corroborating evidence for Bong or Rodriguez, this will end in ultimate stalemate and everyone will end up dissatisfied with the whole sorry affair.

Guesswork...but you haven't really cast aside your team loyalty have you

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have seen plenty on my own Twitter timeline and on the message board I moderate on that think Bong misheard.

I agree about the abuse. However, Twitter is a sesspit at times and it's not representative of the vast majority of Albion fans.

The fact is that unless the FA have some evidence that is unavailable to the rest of us, no one has any idea. People can think what they like, but they won't actually know. In other words: they are guessing.

If Bong did mis-hear:

a) The only person who knows that will be Rodriguez, as Bong seems pretty sure what he believed he heard.

b) It does NOT mean that Bong is lying, being fraudulent nor "playing the race card". He is well within his rights to report racist abuse that he believed happened, and then allow the proper investigative process to be followed.

Richbaggie

Feb 9, 2018
Guesswork...but you haven't really cast aside your team loyalty have you

I haven't hung Rodriguez without a trial but that's nothing to do with team loyalty.

I am going to wait and see what comes out of the hearing and if it's proven he said these words then he will get his comeuppance and deservedly so.

If it was a Brighton player in these circumstances, would you automatically call him out as guilty?

Richbaggie

Feb 9, 2018
Agree with all that.

I have felt all along that Bong has misheard. Don't think he's lied. I think the worst that's actually happened is Rodriguez has acted like a child with his actions.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I haven't hung Rodriguez without a trial but that's nothing to do with team loyalty.

I am going to wait and see what comes out of the hearing and if it's proven he said these words then he will get his comeuppance and deservedly so.

If it was a Brighton player in these circumstances, would you automatically call him out as guilty?

All you guesswork falls one way.....team loyalty

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Looking at the original footage; JR looks to me like a man who knows full well he's said something utterly abhorrent and/or heat of the moment stupid... His face speaks a thousand words, terrified at first and then rapidly incredulous as in: I never, what!?! he's misheard me... I'm shocked by this... etc. Those first few seconds however, he looks plain scared. I wonder why that would be? The gesture alone?!? hmmmm I'm not sure... could be, might not be...

As it stands only two men potentially know the truth (or perhaps have convinced themselves of a version of it?!?), we may never find out... If the FA can prove guilt however, well, in my humble opinion his career should be over.

Time will tell, it always does.

Kosh

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Some proper bellends from West Brom fans who completely dismiss Bong's claims. Hope this tinpot shitty club go down.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Looking at the original footage; JR looks to me like a man who knows full well he's said something utterly abhorrent and/or heat of the moment stupid... His face speaks a thousand words, terrified at first and then rapidly incredulous as in: I never, what!?! he's misheard me... I'm shocked by this... etc. Those first few seconds however, he looks plain scared. I wonder why that would be? The gesture alone?!? hmmmm I'm sure... could be, might not be...

As it stands only two men potentially know the truth, we may never find out... If the FA can prove it however, well, in my humble opinion his career should be over.

Time will tell, it always does.

Kosh

This is where i'm at. I also don't believe for one moment Bong misheard either. He understands English very well

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Anyone seen the clip where you can actually tell what Rodriguez says, as many WBA fans have claimed? Only one I can find the first conversation is miles away from the camera and Rodriguez has his hand in front of his mouth for the second. As one of our esteemed colleagues has pointed out already, for a lovely fellow he seems to be of a bit of a bellend whatever was said.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is where i'm at. I also don't believe for one moment Bong misheard either. He understands English very well

I understand English very well, but I still mis-hear things, and I'm not on a football pitch playing in a Premier League game in front of a fervent home crowd.

(Note: I'm not suggesting I believe Bong did mis-hear, just that it is perfectly possible)

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

That was my first instinct when I saw the footage. I could be very wrong, but I've done some stupid things in my life and sometimes you can read the: what have I done look? even if it only lasts a couple of seconds...

The real facts however, I'll leave to the FA to determine.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair enough if you think that. I think it's a very strange sledge. It would normally have an adjective or noun alongside it.
:shrug: Doesn't seem strange to me. Where does 'You're black and you stink' need an another adjective or noun?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I understand English very well, but I still mis-hear things, and I'm not on a football pitch playing in a Premier League game in front of a fervent home crowd.

(Note: I'm not suggesting I believe Bong did mis-hear, just that it is perfectly possible)
Standing two foot away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here