Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
That was you! I referred to this in another thread somewhere (or this one) just recently- as I was standing just along the row (although I should think the whole away end heard - was that when there was only about 100 of us?).

And also, my missus got in a right strop the other night about intolerance of society in general. Then she linked football and racism, and I got quite agitated and told her that she didn't understand what she was talking about (oops..), and that racism in football was incredibly low compared to what it used to be like. And I quoted your incident to show that one of the few comments I had heard in the last few years ago that someone mistook as being racist was immediately challenged - which, to me, just went to show how casual racism has been policed out through peer pressure - and a good thing.

Of course, all she then picked up on was asking me why I thought it was okay to call him a fat bast@rd (the adjective I used) - to which my response of 'because he's both' didn't really go down all that well...

I said to my mate at the time that it was actually good that it was challenged so quickly, even if wrong.

Yeah I don’t believe there were many there that day, absolutely terrible game of football that we had absolutely no right to come away with a point from. (David Lopez pen right at the end?)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I said to my mate at the time that it was actually good that it was challenged so quickly, even if wrong.

Yeah I don’t believe there were many there that day, absolutely terrible game of football that we had absolutely no right to come away with a point from. (David Lopez pen right at the end?)

Terrible game of football, one of our own horribly racially a used just outside, and s young lad attacked as he tried to get on our coach.
Spanish Dave's penalty & trending on Twitter was the only good thing,

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Funnily enough, this is rebounding on Rodriguez, because many people saw tweets saying he was cleared rather than not proven, so him now saying he wants to clear his name, has given them cause for doubt.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
If he “genuinely heard it” as TB believes, and you agree, then you both believe Rodriguez said it

No. Why is this so difficult for some people to understand? Someone can genuinely hear something different to what was actually said. That is what 'mishearing' is by definition. What is heard and what is said are not always the same. Hearing relies on the brain interpreting sounds and forming them into words. A person can say word A but the brain of someone else interprets it as word B. That MAY have happened in this case, that's all I'm saying. Without evidence to the contrary I don't understand how anyone can not accept that that is a possibility.

Last edited:

Richbaggie

Feb 9, 2018
Unless I’ve missed it no one has mentioned the point raised by the panel. The phrase, “you’re black and you stink” is not what you’d normally expect from an English speaker, the word ‘black’ would normally be used as an adjective when being offensive. E.g. “You black . . . . . ‘.

I raised this just after the charge was made, earlier in this thread. I got shot down.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No. Why is this so difficult for some people to understand? Someone can genuinely hear something different to what was actually said. That is what 'mishearing' is by definition. What is heard and what is said are not always the same. Hearing relies on the brain interpreting sounds and forming them into words. A person can say word A but the brain of someone else interprets it as word B. That MAY have happened in this case, that's all I'm saying. Without evidence to the contrary I don't understand how anyone can not accept that that is a possibility.

I know we've discussed this, but Bong's evidence was he heard 'you're black and you stink'. Rodriguez evidence is that he said 'you f.....ing stink'

5 words as opposed to 3 words, and the only two corresponding words were 'you stink'

If Rodriguez evidence was that he said 'get back you stink' I would have more sympathy with the misheard theory. That's my reason for the difficulty in understanding it.

Richbaggie

Feb 9, 2018
I know we've discussed this, but Bong's evidence was he heard 'you're black and you stink'. Rodriguez evidence is that he said 'you f.....ing stink'

5 words as opposed to 3 words, and the only two corresponding words were 'you stink'

If Rodriguez evidence was that he said 'get back you stink' I would have more sympathy with the misheard theory. That's my reason for the difficulty in understanding it.

His evidence was that he said you're breath ****ing stinks.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

Trouble is, all evidence in these cases also relies on another unreliable brain function - memory, in this case memory of what was actually heard / said. Our brains are wired to form memories that create a narrative that makes sense to us, and this is not always 100% what actually happened in reality. In the heat of the moment this is especially the case. That's why I can fully understand the apparent mismatch, but I also accept that Rodriguez could have said exactly what Bong claims he said. Both are equally possible.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
not proven - shock

If he smells then surely can say what was alleged . Isn't that bigger deal .

Lot of nonsense all of it

Glad it's sorted

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, Rodriquez wants to clear his name properly...

I presume he means demonstrate he was right? I wonder how he will do this? What else can he do, or evidence can he now show, to achieve this? Think it might be best if he lets this one go.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Terrible game of football, one of our own horribly racially a used just outside, and s young lad attacked as he tried to get on our coach.
Spanish Dave's penalty & trending on Twitter was the only good thing,

Interesting what we take away from games isn't it. For me, it was a 'proper' old fashioned football night. Train, then pub, then a walk up some really snowy and icy cobbled streets over the canal (it was in the middle of one of the big freezes), like something out of a Lowry painting, with people coming out of their terraced houses and setting off to the game. Then the ground being in that sort of bowl area so you look down on this lit up stadium as you walk down to it. Yes, poor game (and poor home crowd) - but as my mate said the next day 'the perfect away result', where you do nothing all match, and equalise with the very last kick of the game (the only time I think I have actually seen this - did they even kick-off again?). And then a beery journey back on the train chatting to away fans.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]

Afternoon everyone. Just want to wish all the NSC runners a good race tomorrow. Good luck and get over the finish line safely.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]

Afternoon everyone. Just want to wish all the NSC runners a good race tomorrow. Good luck and get over the finish line safely.

Cheers HT :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here