Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
No. Why is this so difficult for some people to understand? Someone can genuinely hear something different to what was actually said. That is what 'mishearing' is by definition. What is heard and what is said are not always the same. Hearing relies on the brain interpreting sounds and forming them into words. A person can say word A but the brain of someone else interprets it as word B. That MAY have happened in this case, that's all I'm saying. Without evidence to the contrary I don't understand how anyone can not accept that that is a possibility.

If a bear farts in the woods and only one person hears it does it mean the bear didn’t fart

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43783281

"I am always a great believer that the truth always comes out and it has," he told BBC WM. "Now we can move on and I can just carry on working hard for the team." - Rodriguez

Errr...except the truth HASN'T come out though, now has it Jay. The verdict was 'not proven' not 'not guilty'. Nobody knows the truth, except you, and Bong.

Christ, he's as bad as those mingmong WBA fans on Twitter

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
This was always going to be the outcome. We'll never know of course. I don't really feel duty-bound to blindly accept Bong's version - he could so easily have misheard. I find it unlikely that a premier league player would say something like the alleged, when there are so many non-racist insults available :)

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

"I am always a great believer that the truth always comes out and it has," he told BBC WM. "Now we can move on and I can just carry on working hard for the team." - Rodriguez

Errr...except the truth HASN'T come out though, now has it Jay. The verdict was 'not proven' not 'not guilty'. Nobody knows the truth, except you, and Bong.

What did you expect him to say?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

That may have been the best approach I agree, but, taking these two possible scenario's that a) he didn't make any reference to colour or b) he did, but has been lying ever since to cover his backside, I think anyone in that situation would be tempted to claim that they have been exonerated, I know I would.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What did you expect him to say?

Pretty much that I suppose. Its fairly predictable that he's treating this verdict as though its absolved him of any wrongdoing, when actually its done nothing of the sort. An unsatisfactory conclusion to an unpleasant incident, which was of his own making.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Pretty much that I suppose. Its fairly predictable that he's treating this verdict as though its absolved him of any wrongdoing, when actually its done nothing of the sort. An unsatisfactory conclusion to an unpleasant incident, which was of his own making.

Agree with that 100%

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
As a side note, I wonder if this incident and outcome will change this stupid 'speak behind your hand' behavior in sport. If you've got nothing to hide, i.e. you're not talking tactics, then why do it if it leaves you open to the possibility of a 'not proven' rather than 'not guilty' outcome if you were accused? I doubt it will change it, but you never know, be nice if it did.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

This is really it, isn't it. The FA's report quite clearly states that the lip readers can't tell what he said because his hand was covering his mouth. As no-one else heard it (not that surprising considering it was in a football stadium and no-one else was in a decent proximity), there simply isn't enough evidence either way. That doesn't mean he said it and it doesn't mean he didn't say it. It just means there was no evidence to prove either way. Only those two know what they said and heard. And ultimately, Rodriguez can never fully clear his name because there just isn't the evidence to prove he didn't say it.

Compare this to the Firmino/Holgate incident, and anyone with any basic grasp of latin languages could tell you he'd not been racist simply from watching the footage.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
As a side note, I wonder if this incident and outcome will change this stupid 'speak behind your hand' behavior in sport. If you've got nothing to hide, i.e. you're not talking tactics, then why do it if it leaves you open to the possibility of a 'not proven' rather than 'not guilty' outcome if you were accused? I doubt it will change it, but you never know, be nice if it did.

Two ways out of it could be:
1. Every player to be miked up during a match so that everything they say is recorded and could be played back in evidence.....
or:
2. The FA begins to work on the basis that "hand covering mouth" leads to a presumption of guilt, all other things being equal, as the perpetrator is obviously trying to avoid what he says being interpreted.

Can't imagine either happening, though.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Bong has tweeted that Rodriguez has apologised, that is if I am reading twitter correctly, if not I apologise.

I have read that Rodriguez has apologised, but there is also the possibility that Rodriguez's apology was for something different that what Bong assumes it is - i.e. apologising for the whole incident rather than being "racist".

I would like to think they have both put it behind them - that any misunderstandings (whatever they might be) have been dealt with and there is nothing there to fester, particularly for our Gaetan.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
5FB808FB-A029-47A2-8A80-AD3436430EFE.jpeg this week’s caption contest...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
**** sake. This whole thing is a sorry saga. Why oh why do people feel the need to take sides on a RACISM accusation because football is involved?

Bong clearly thinks he heard something.
The FA can't prove it.

You now have SOME people on the Brighton side acting as if JR did it and then SOME people on thr WBA side now criticising Bong for "a pack of lies".

People are bellends sometimes. No one should ever feel discouraged from reporting an incident if they truly believe it has happened. Whether GB misheard him or not we will never know. Time to move on. If JR didn't do it then it's just a big misunderstanding. If he did then hopefully he got the scare of his life and won't ever do it again.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have read that Rodriguez has apologised, but there is also the possibility that Rodriguez's apology was for something different that what Bong assumes it is - i.e. apologising for the whole incident rather than being "racist".

I would like to think they have both put it behind them - that any misunderstandings (whatever they might be) have been dealt with and there is nothing there to fester, particularly for our Gaetan.

The players may be able to put this behind them but for the fans its a different thing. There were definite boos at SP on Saturday when Bong had the ball in the first half and I cant remember any other history he has with them and he was the only one of our players singled out at the time.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
**** sake. This whole thing is a sorry saga. Why oh why do people feel the need to take sides on a RACISM accusation because football is involved?

Bong clearly thinks he heard something.
The FA can't prove it.

You now have SOME people on the Brighton side acting as if JR did it and then SOME people on thr WBA side now criticising Bong for "a pack of lies".

People are bellends sometimes. No one should ever feel discouraged from reporting an incident if they truly believe it has happened. Whether GB misheard him or not we will never know. Time to move on. If JR didn't do it then it's just a big misunderstanding. If he did then hopefully he got the scare of his life and won't ever do it again.

The irony is the same WBA fans that mourned Cyril Regus and everything he did for black footballers in England, are the ones attacking Bong and also abusing him etc...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here