Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Any chance JR said 'get back, you stink' with GB mishearing this as 'you're black, you stink'? Still a retarded thing to say, but easily misheard in the melee?

No. I suggested that but GB has maintained all along the words were you're black and you stink.

Even now there are people on Twiiter accusing Bong of changing his story & lying.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Oh well, I guess that's the end of...

Oh, wait...

[tweet]986718714103062528[/tweet]

What an appalling headline! But then it is the Sun.

Anybody who is abused now will think twice before reporting it. It's taken the Kick it Out cause back decades.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I must admit, I was pretty surprised that Albion put out that statement today. I'm not sure what it achieves, other than re-igniting the issue, and that Sun back page seems to confirm that view.

An Independent Commission found the case not proven; however, Bong's reputation wasn't tarnished in any way by the findings. Surely that should have been that, from an Albion perspective?

You can fully understand Rodriquez wanting to clear his name, especially after the investigation left the charge somewhat hanging in the respect of acknowledging that Bong fully believed what he heard.

Unfortunately, statements like "the truth will always come out" were badly advised since the investigation clearly couldn't conclude what the truth actually was.

That infers Bong wasn't telling the truth.

I will add for balance that Bong publishing Rodriquez had apologised without actually establishing what he had apologised for was equally badly advised.

That of course is open to interpretation.

The fact remains that Rodriquez acted like a complete and utter **** that day and at best, his actions were open to debate and interpretation. In that respect it's my opinion he brought all of this on himself.

He'd have better advised to apologise immediately for his pathetic but "not racist" (he has the right) behaviour.

He hasn't, he's been acting like the victim.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I must admit, I was pretty surprised that Albion put out that statement today. I'm not sure what it achieves, other than re-igniting the issue, and that Sun back page seems to confirm that view.

An Independent Commission found the case not proven; however, Bong's reputation wasn't tarnished in any way by the findings. Surely that should have been that, from an Albion perspective?

That would have been the case had JR not come out making statements along the lines that the truth came out an he was innocent, which wasn't what was established.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
That would have been the case had JR not come out making statements along the lines that the truth came out an he was innocent, which wasn't what was established.

But that doesn't provide a good enough reason for the Albion to make the statement it did today, leading to further headlines like the Sun has tomorrow.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Spot on.

But that doesn't provide a good enough reason for the Albion to make the statement it did today, leading to further headlines like the Sun has tomorrow.

I disagree. Rodriguez's claim that "the truth always comes out", as though he had in some way been vindicated by this 'not proven' charge, was utter bollocks. I was annoyed when I read it, so Gaeton must have been steaming. He's fully justified in releasing this statement to attempt to train some limited minds, because if you look at the WBA / Rodriguez apologists on Twitter, you would see the vile myopic and unfounded abuse directed at Bong before, and then even more so, since this verdict.

He's drawn a line under it now, there really is nothing more to add. None of us will ever know what was said. What we DO know is that JR acted like a childish prick and brought all this down upon himself. Personally, I know where my money is on who's lying but it'll never be proved so just best for all to move on now.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Spot on.

I disagree. Rodriguez's claim that "the truth always comes out", as though he had in some way been vindicated by this 'not proven' charge, was utter bollocks. I was annoyed when I read it, so Gaeton must have been steaming. He's fully justified in releasing this statement to attempt to train some limited minds, because if you look at the WBA / Rodriguez apologists on Twitter, you would see the vile myopic and unfounded abuse directed at Bong before, and then even more so, since this verdict.

He's drawn a line under it now, there really is nothing more to add. None of us will ever know what was said. What we DO know is that JR acted like a childish prick and brought all this down upon himself. Personally, I know where my money is on who's lying but it'll never be proved so just best for all to move on now.

You don't cover your mouth unless you plan to say something unpleasant. Delighted West brom are going down. Lots of their fans have acted disgracefully. Hope they struggle financially too.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

That is a matter of opinion, and I doubt there'd be a consensus on that.

The Sun's choice of headline is their wording, not the club's. That is just one of those things, and I'd hope nobody takes it at face value. For whatever reason somebody from JR's camp has decided to try and shape the narrative that he has been cleared, when he clearly hasn't.

It is all rather unsavoury, from start to finish... and let's hope it is finished.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Spot on.

I do think it has to be pointed out (for balance) that Bong suggesting Rodriguez had "apologised", without saying what for was unfortunate to say the least.

He was wrong there.

It completely inferred that Rodriguez had admitted the acquisition, which he clearly didn't and him (or his "people") had a right of reply.

I'm also comfortable with Rodriguez saying he's been "cleared". Although that wasn't the exact wording, the judgement wasn't "we haven't been able to conclude whether he is racist or not". It very clearly wasn't. The wording was specifically there to make sure that nobody believed Bong had been lying.

Unfortunately that well intended judgement appears to have backfired.

As for the other complaints that Bong went public before the investigation, well he's perfectly completely entitled to do that as was Rodriguez to deny the accusation.

As for my general feelings towards Rodriguez generally - see previous post :)

He doesn't strike me as the sharpest of individuals. Players, managers (even referees) now routinely cover their mouths to stop the camera picking up what they say.

To do such a thing when abusing another player (in whatever context) should only has one result: Get yourself up to the FA son and prove to us what you didn't say.

What a prize plum.

Even if the player has been deliberately incorrectly accused I wouldn't have any sympathy whatsoever for what he "been through".

Brought it on himself.

Last edited:

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
The very first sentence of the report in today’s Express, shows exactly why Bong feels compelled to speak out.

“Gaeten Bong has hit out at the FA’s decision to clear Jay Rodriguez of an allegation of racial abuse”

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's Bong having his say about something that's important to him, and the club showing their player, and our other players, that the club back them. Quite important I think.

So the Sun is adding fuel to the fire, but Bong and the club have said they won't comment again, so this will die down, but at least they've made their point.

Bong was getting abuse for daring to stand up for himself, so he probably wasn't happy about that, and wanted to point out that he would never make up such an accusation (as he was accused of doing).

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Least surprising bit of transfer news so far this season, one of their own going home

Burnley in for Rodriguez

They've already brought in Joe Hart and Ben Gibson but Burnley may not be done yet in this transfer window.

The Clarets have reportedly bid £18m for Jay Rodriguez.

West Brom striker Rodriguez is keen to play in the Premier League, but is also said to be content in staying put at the Hawthorns to help them get promotion back into the top tier.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I would make that 23 British and Irish players on their books if they did sign him.

The foreigners are Chris Wood (been in the UK since youth level), Nahki Wells (same) Aiden O Neil (been here since childhood)

Really only Gudmundsson, Lindergard and Defour as foreign exports.

I have no idea whether I think it's nice or whether I think it says something about Dyche and Burnley :lolol:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I would make that 23 British and Irish players on their books if they did sign him.

The foreigners are Chris Wood (been in the UK since youth level), Nahki Wells (same) Aiden O Neil (been here since childhood)

Really only Gudmundsson, Lindergard and Defour as foreign exports.

I have no idea whether I think it's nice or whether I think it says something about Dyche and Burnley :lolol:

The land that time forgot or a spoiler to what the rest of the country will look like after March next year ???

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Of course, the club would do the sensible thing and make sure Dyche and/or Rodriguez make a comment before the game that fans should not be repeating the moronic booing.

Why?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here