Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I said 'If Hungry Joe's quote is accurate'. If it's accurate, then Bong says he repeated it, there's no getting away from that. If the quote is wrong, fine.

I copied the quote directly from the article, so as long as the translation in the article is correct then that's what Bong said.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not read the thread but

Could be true , could be bollocks.

I suspect without anyone backing Bong up then will be hard to ultimately punish.

Unsure where this would leave Bong.

Think the current climate goes for him , about equal pay , gender things , race issues.

FA cant really be seen going against this.

Unfortunate for Rodriguez if truly didn't do anything.

Tricky one and suspect this will go the way of Bong purely due to current climate rather than anything apart from 1 word against the other.

We will see.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I copied the quote directly from the article, so as long as the translation in the article is correct then that's what Bong said.
Have you got a link? There's one link where he was interviewed on a French show and he didn't say it then. Also, when watching the actual footage, there doesn't seem to be time between when Rodriguez makes the comment and gesture, and Bong goes to the ref, for Bong to ask him to repeat it and Jay repeat it.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Have you got a link? There's one link where he was interviewed on a French show and he didn't say it then. Also, when watching the actual footage, there doesn't seem to be time between when Rodriguez makes the comment and gesture, and Bong goes to the ref, for Bong to ask him to repeat it and Jay repeat it.

No, I just copied it as I was reading it at the time, think it might have been Sky Sports but can't be certain. It was from the French TV interview though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not read the thread but

Could be true , could be bollocks.

I suspect without anyone backing Bong up then will be hard to ultimately punish.

Unsure where this would leave Bong.

Think the current climate goes for him , about equal pay , gender things , race issues.

FA cant really be seen going against this.

Unfortunate for Rodriguez if truly didn't do anything.

Tricky one and suspect this will go the way of Bong purely due to current climate rather than anything apart from 1 word against the other.

We will see.

There's enough camera angles in the PL nowadays, that it should be relatively easy enough to prove, one way or the other.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If he hadn't made the gesture then it would have no context but Rodriguez has to explain why he made the hand gesture to Bong and what he meant by it
I think he's just claiming to have said 'your breath stinks'

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If he hadn't made the gesture then it would have no context but Rodriguez has to explain why he made the hand gesture to Bong and what he meant by it

Quite. Should be quite funny seeing how he tries to explain away the gesture. Let alone the alleged accompanying words, which will doubtless have been captured on one of the myriad PL camera angles. Good luck with all of that Jay :thumbsup:

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
You would think Rodriguez said something beforehand, resulting in Bong's response which Rodriguez then said about his stinky breath...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hi all

Baggies fan here, with a peace pipe in hand :)

Firstly, no matter which club you support, what a rubbish situation we find ourselves in. There isn't an outcome that I can see that will have a happy ending.

Secondly, if Rodriguez has said the alleged words he has been charged with, then he should get whatever the FA can throw at him. No question.

But, and there is a big but here. Until this is proven beyond doubt, he is still innocent and deserves a fair hearing just as anyone should receive.

When I first heard what Bong alleged Rodriguez has said, my first thought was surely he has misheard what was said. Does this sound like anything anyone would say, let alone a racist.

"You're black, and your breath stinks"

Seriously, cast team loyalties aside, does that sound realistic that anyone would form that sort of sentence?

It's pure guesswork but my guess has always been that Bong has at best, misheard words or at worst putvsome extra spin on Rodriguez petulant and childish hand movement and you stink words.

My guess is we will never know for sure and unless there is corroborating evidence for Bong or Rodriguez, this will end in ultimate stalemate and everyone will end up dissatisfied with the whole sorry affair.

Firstly I'm quoting this as it was in the new user review queue and is now a page or two back and will be missed by many.

Secondly, you're the first West Brom fan I've seen that has, at least, considered there is a third option beyond:

1. Rodriguez racially abused Bong.
2. Bong has fabricated that he was racially abused by Rodriguez.

That third option is:

3. Bong genuinely believes he was racially abused and has reported it but, in fact, he misheard.

The vile abuse being directed at our player by some of your fellow fans on Twitter is absolutely disgusting. I get that Gaetan Bong is completely unknown to you, but to repeatedly accuse him of lying and/or "playing the race card" is pretty poor by any measure.

I have no idea what proof, if any, the FA have. We've all seen the video, the nose-pinching and hand wafting etc. However, I would assume that for him to be charged, they must have something they believe backs up the allegation because, if Rodriquez does not appeal / respond with "not guilty" then he will be punished.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hi all

Baggies fan here, with a peace pipe in hand :)
Hello.

But, and there is a big but here. Until this is proven beyond doubt, he is still innocent and deserves a fair hearing just as anyone should receive.
Indeed.

When I first heard what Bong alleged Rodriguez has said, my first thought was surely he has misheard what was said. Does this sound like anything anyone would say, let alone a racist.

"You're black, and your breath stinks"
Yes, sadly it does. Not saying he did say it, or that it matters what club either player plays for, but yes, a person could say that.

Seriously, cast team loyalties aside, does that sound realistic that anyone would form that sort of sentence?
Yes.

It's pure guesswork but my guess has always been that Bong has at best, misheard words
That's possible.
or at worst putvsome extra spin on Rodriguez petulant and childish hand movement and you stink words.
It doesn't seem that you're putting team loyalties aside there. That would be an outrageous thing for Bong to do, and worse even than the crime he's accused Rodriguez of, IMO. Also check out Bong's reaction, and his reaction when the ref tells him to go back to a position. Without knowing more details, it is possible he misheard, but I think it's hugely unlikely that he's made it up.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
[tweet]961724539033047045[/tweet]

One of the strangest tweets I've seen. After everything Cyrille Regis stood for... J Rod shouldn't have to endure this shit? What about Bong ffs :ffsparr:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
[tweet]961724539033047045[/tweet]

One of the strangest tweets I've seen. After everything Cyrille Regis stood for... J Rod shouldn't have to endure this shit? What about Bong ffs :ffsparr:
:eek: Brain-dead.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The thing that makes me laugh is all the Baggies fans, presumably most of whom don't know Rodriguez personally in any way, claiming what a great bloke he is and that he'd never do such a thing. Ok, the racist element is as yet unproven, and may remain so, and there is the possibility it didn't exist, however unlikely rhat may seem. But ask yourself this - how many 'great blokes' do you know that would confront someone (even in the heat of the moment) with a nose pinch and "your breath stinks" or similar comment? Doesn't sound like any great blokes I know, sounds like the behaviour of a ****. So I'm left with the conclusion that these defenders of Rodriguez are either blinkered hypocrites or have a very different definition of what constitutes being a decent human being than I do.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
West Brom fans have not covered themselves in glory over this episode, IMO. In fact, an alarming proportion have shown themselves to be utterly idiotic.

I'm not sure that's fair. Idiots are the most vocal.

Rational, sensible people, by default, do not feel so obliged to jump on the internet and spill garbage on a topic they have no idea about.

I'm sure there are tens of thousands of WBA fans who, like anyone should, will keep quiet over what they think happened and let the process conclude on it's natural course.

For it to be an 'alarming proportion', let's say 5% of their home crowd, you would need to see 1,500 messages defending Rodriguez

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here