Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
wonder how many of the decision body weren’t white middle aged + men.

But they are "completely satisfied" his complaint was made in good faith blah blah blah

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
There is no way that the Manager or anyone connected with Brighton would have followed up on this action unless they accepted and believed Bong's 100% certainty on the issue. And they know the character and person that is GB far better than you or I

I'm a manager. If one of my staff was 100% sure they heard a racist remark I would support them in the process to take that allegation forward through the correct channels. That is what Hughton and the club have done. I am not calling Bong's character into question so please don't insinuate that I am. I get it, you want to believe that Bong could not possibly have been mistaken, life would be so much easier right? If only.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think we are all going round in circles.

Bong said he didn't mishear him. I believe him that he didn't mishear him and if I believe that he didn't mishear him By default that means I believe his claim of what was said

Some seem to be saying to Bongy ''I believe you that you didn't mishear him BUT it is possible that you did mishear him''

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Have the FA, Premier League or Football League ever found in Brighton's favour about anything?

I know this doesn't directly involve the club. But it does, really.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I think we are all going round in circles.

Bong said he didn't mishear him. I believe him that he didn't mishear him and if I believe that he didn't mishear him By default that means I believe his claim of what was said

Some seem to be saying to Bongy ''I believe you that you didn't mishear him BUT it is possible that you did mishear him''

And that's fine. I accept all 3 scenarios I described earlier are possible, but if I had to weight any of them I would rank them in this order:

Neither are lying - most likely
Rodriguez is lying - next most likely
Bong is lying - highly unlikely

That's not because I'm a Brighton fan, it's just the order of probability that makes most sense to me in the circumstances.

Cheers.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
And that's fine. I accept all 3 scenarios I described earlier are possible, but if I had to weight any of them I would rank them in this order:

That's not because I'm a Brighton fan, it's just the order of probability that makes most sense to me in the circumstances.

Cheers.

Agree with this.

Someone once accused me of calling CKR a black c*** away at Blackburn a few years ago, when in fact what I had said was ‘fat c***’ (totally fair, albeit childish insult). I can understand how when you can’t see someone’s lips moving, it is very easy to mishear what is said, to the point that you might be completely sure of what someone said despite it not being the case. Gaetan said in his statement that JR covers his mouth as he says what he said, so it’s definitely a possibility.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bong states categorically that there is no way that he misheard him.

Yes, but there is no proof. At the end of the day it is one man's word against another - all reasonable attempts were made (with more than one lip-reader) to find proof positive either way, but they couldn't. So no matter what you might believe, there is no proof on which to justify a conviction. Without any supporting evidence, as I see it, that was the only decision they could make.

Sad for Bong, but let's hope it doesn't affect his form or enthusiasm for the rest of the season - he's had a great season so far, and we need him at his best. I'm sure his manager and team mates believe him, and that is important. #together and all that..........

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
This doesnt look good for the FA's Kick racism out year. They encouraged black players to report racism both internationally and nationally. The result of all the black players that reported an incident none of them have been upheld. After all that has gone on this year I cant see why a black player would bother next season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Cheers.

I agree with your assessments, but the thing that sticks in my mind, is that Bong didn't collapse in a heap, or even complain to the referee when Lukaku kicked him in the nuts at Old Trafford. I believe he genuinely heard what he did, but as you say, there is no proof.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have the FA, Premier League or Football League ever found in Brighton's favour about anything?

Having just brought up the Lukaku kick on Bong, that wasn't retrospectively reviewed either.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Agree with this.

Someone once accused me of calling CKR a black c*** away at Blackburn a few years ago, when in fact what I had said was ‘fat c***’ (totally fair, albeit childish insult). I can understand how when you can’t see someone’s lips moving, it is very easy to mishear what is said, to the point that you might be completely sure of what someone said despite it not being the case. Gaetan said in his statement that JR covers his mouth as he says what he said, so it’s definitely a possibility.

That was you! I referred to this in another thread somewhere (or this one) just recently- as I was standing just along the row (although I should think the whole away end heard - was that when there was only about 100 of us?).

And also, my missus got in a right strop the other night about intolerance of society in general. Then she linked football and racism, and I got quite agitated and told her that she didn't understand what she was talking about (oops..), and that racism in football was incredibly low compared to what it used to be like. And I quoted your incident to show that one of the few comments I had heard in the last few years ago that someone mistook as being racist was immediately challenged - which, to me, just went to show how casual racism has been policed out through peer pressure - and a good thing.

Of course, all she then picked up on was asking me why I thought it was okay to call him a fat bast@rd (the adjective I used) - to which my response of 'because he's both' didn't really go down all that well...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Not that I can recall !

Calderon’s red card against Newport was (rightly) rescinded.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
He needs to let it go. His breath stink gestures are like he's still on the playground. Embarrassing really

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Unless I’ve missed it no one has mentioned the point raised by the panel. The phrase, “you’re black and you stink” is not what you’d normally expect from an English speaker, the word ‘black’ would normally be used as an adjective when being offensive. E.g. “You black . . . . . ‘.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here